Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Passengers (2016) 

Rate This Film
A 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Passengers (2016) 
The Wall

Post Re: Passengers (2016)
tree and a half wrote:
_axiom wrote:
The guy who wrote this shit hopefully never writes anything again.
Too late, Jon Spaihts has already written this year's The Mummy and he's signed on for the Van Helsing reboot. He also previously wrote Doctor Strange and Prometheus.

So 2 shit movies (Passengers, Prometheus) and one good one so far (Doctor Strange), with an additional information he's the sole writer on Passengers, while he's just part of the writing team in the others. I won't prejudge the future ones, but both of those horror/adventure franchises aren't famous for their quality. Seems like he has found a niche to bury his "talent" in.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I didn't know the "twist" of the movie as the marketing wisely withheld it. So this movie was a little uncomfortable to watch, but at the same time I admire them for going that way. Really, the main problem is they don't follow through on this morally uncomfortable premise. I would have preffered things to end less tidy. Like it seemed we were heading to Pratt sacrificing himself, Jlaw being alone and having a debate whether to wake up Chekov's midwife ("I think we would be friends"). The abrupt "and they lived happily ever after..." ending kind of soils what came before.

Its still good though. The music and visuals are both top notch. And I thought Pratt did really good when he was by himself. I totally believed the anguish in his eyes. Jlaw is great as usual, but she doesn't get too much to do.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:46 pm
Hold the door!

Excellent film. Truly exciting, involving and thought provoking. Deserved more money. Chris and Jen are both excellent. Wish the rape culture SJWs hadn't killed its reviews.

A-

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:08 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I liked this. Though as most everyone said, the ending just kind of... happened. And some of the finale stuff seemed WAY too convenient. Like, he would have been burnt to a crisp opening that door, no? I think the backlash against the film regarding him waking her up was a bit overblown. Obviously it was a shitty thing to do, but the movie is literally based around that, and acknowledges how shitty it was.

B+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon May 01, 2017 12:54 pm
Superman: The Movie

David wrote:
Reportedly García shot a relatively more involved scene where he and his lieutenants go around the ship and see various remnants of the "world" Pratt and Lawrence made for themselves. They should have left this in. The ending feels SO abrupt.

They should've kept it in simply because they hired Andy Garcia. As soon as that door opens, any closure we got from Pratt/Lawrence goes out the window because the audience in their head is going, "Hey, is that And...", and they still wondering as the camera pans to tree, the cabin, and then the stars, and then the movie's over. The audience shouldn't be distracted. Maybe a montage would've worked or just cut to a shot of them 40 years in the future and place them in front of the cabin, etc.

And I guess they didn't have kids? And where are the bodies? You figure they're both probably around 30. That makes them roughly 118 by the last shot. Did Tildum cut out the last scene because the last shot would've been of two rotting corpses that have been sitting in the same spot for 20+ years?

Ok, anyways, the movie that came before it. It's, okay. It's visually stunning, but as a couple of other people have mentioned, Pratt and Lawrence are missing something. Before she finds out his secret, there probably should've been a little more to the montage of the two of them dating. The ship has a movie theater, a very tiny basketball court, a virtual dance game, but that's pretty much all we see. There are clearly stores as they mention shoplifting so there's got to be other stuff. Let's see them do some mundane shit on a spaceship. There's clearly a lot more to the ship. Maybe their chemistry doesn't work because the premise is kind of...ehh. Though I guess if he doesn't wake her up, no one saves the ship. He's a hero! Saved 5,200 something lives!

B-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Good sci-fi. I liked the quieter moments of the film the most where Lawrence and Pratt are grazing about the ship, talking to Sheen and getting to know each other. The first act of the film showing Pratt's isolation was excellent. The save the ship part in the 3rd act is a little bit by the numbers but well directed and I was engaged on whether he would live or die. I would have liked to an extended scene of the crew members waking up and whether they are greeted by a tribe of great grandkids

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2