Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Moana 

Rate This Film
A 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18

Moana 

Post Re: Moana
The more I think about it, this might be the Disney Resurgence Era's first A film. My first thought was A- but it is sitting no very well

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:02 am
loyalfromlondon

> frozen

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:04 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I noticed this over time from when I saw it this summer to now, but it really grows on you.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:03 pm

Chippy wrote:
I noticed this over time from when I saw it this summer to now, but it really grows on you.

What kind I say except you're welcome

Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:41 pm
The Kramer

Great stuff as usual from Disney. I'm also a little wary of musicals, but they've hit gold three times in a row now. Moana sticks to the formula that Tangled and Frozen layed out, going above them in a few areas. It's definitely funnier than either of those and I enjoy that there's no romance plot for once. In that way it is like Brave, but again much funnier.

The emotional beats hit the heart pretty hard too. The transition from act 1 to act 2 is my favorite part of the movie. People die in Disney movies all the time, and it always hurts. The sequence of events is set perfectly though. Grandma uses her final words to push Moana out of her safe space, followed by her mother catching her leaving and immediately helping her pack, followed by a reprisal of "How Far I'll Go" as Grandma Manta Ray slips into the spirit world. It really had me going. And then they're able to release all that tension in a single moment, a dramatic "Nooooooooooooo" from a chicken. It's shit like this that keeps me coming back.

It drags a little bit starting at the crab scene until the climax begins. The scene with Ghost Grandma is straight outta Lion King. I also wish the pig was in it more. And the first half is too song heavy. Though most of the songs were solid. "How Far I'll Go" and "You're Welcome" are both terrific and properly sell the characters.

As for rankings I'd go

1. Zootopia
2. Frozen
3. Moana
4. Tangled
5. Big Hero 6
6. Wreck It Ralph

All are A- or above.

Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:09 am
Extraordinary

I loved it. Not as much as Zootopia, but it was tremendous fun, great animation, very good songs.

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

It is a pleasant film. Perfect for children. It is not exciting or sad or relatable, which makes it difficult to rave about it, but it is fun. That whole Pacific-islander tribe vibe, legends and culture is appealing but not nearly as much as Big Hero 6's Japanese theme. I felt a little like they were trying to recreate Frozen in that it is basically another November-released musical, but while none of the songs will ever be as beloved as the Frozen ones, I actually felt they were much better. The film is very colourful, and beautiful, and the CGI is second-to-none. The film is a wash of rich blues and greens, but unfortunately great cinematography is scarce - the ending has some lovely shots (Moana connecting with the volacano monster, Te Ka, in a parted sea). Very nice, but the remaining 95% is average CGI animation.

The humour is very child-friendly, and that's its main problem. There is one joke that just scratches the surface of decent delivery/humour (Maui peeing in the ocean), but the other jokes were either not memorable or not explored (for example, the little dancing baby gets a few seconds then you never see him again, same for the pirates). Also in the negative column; not the story per se, but the way the story is told. I love the mythical stuff, but from beginning to end it, looking back on it, it wasn't a difficult journey at all. It just never reaches anything close to being an adventure. It's all too easy and over very soon. Minor niggle, though.

Moana (which I was surprised to hear is pronounced Mo-ana, not Moan-a) is a true Disney beauty and follows a long tradition of beautiful Mouse House princesses (baby Moana is adorable too!). Maui is quite the character. Enjoyable verging on annoying, but voiced well by Dwayne Johnson. At first it was a little distracting because you know it's Dwayne, but eventually it becomes seamless. The grandmother was the best character in the film. Very fun. It was a shame the pig didn't accompany Moana on the voyage because I feel it would have been a better companion than that stupid rooster. The film has bouts of creativity, such as the volcano monster turning into Te Fiti and becoming an island, Maui's tattoos being a comical narrator etc. but it also has silly diversions such as the entire Tamatoa scene, and Moana's father.

Overall, Moana is a fun film but intended solely for children. It isn't clever enough to live up to Zootopia nor interesting enough to match Big Hero 6, but it is better than Frozen.

B-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:13 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Zootopia B+
Moana B-
Frozen C+

Not seen: Wreck-It Ralph, Tangled

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:27 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

The fact that Moana tells a tale of the Pacific Islanders and their voyaging canoes is certainly something to be celebrated - they are neglected heroes of human exploration. However, those brutally generic Broadway show tunes crammed into the mouths of these noble people is obnoxious. Even the best of the songs, You're Welcome, doesn't belong in this movie. It would have been amazing to see a culturally appropriate score for Moana (though We Know The Way comes close). The animation is beautiful for the most part, though there are certain sequences where the lighting makes the characters look like strange little dolls rather than people. And the tattoo animation seems cribbed straight out of finds the directors repeating themselves from Disney's Hercules. The overall mythical story is strong, but waylaid by too many cutesy segments and action setpieces - I would have preferred a straighter telling of the legend, and of course, minus those insipid songs (even Maui remarks to Moana at one point, "You're not going to break into song, are you?"). *B*

Last edited by tree and a half on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:28 am
Cream of the Crop

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Zwackerm's dick must be all raw from all the rubbing over this film.

How rude.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:39 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

tree and a half wrote:
The fact that Moana tells a tale of the Pacific Islanders and their voyaging canoes is certainly something to be celebrated - they are neglected heroes of human exploration. However, those brutally generic Broadway show tunes crammed into the mouths of these noble people is obnoxious. Even the best of the songs, You're Welcome, doesn't belong in this movie. It would have been amazing to see a culturally appropriate score for Moana (though We Know The Way comes close). The animation is beautiful for the most part, though there are certain sequences where the lighting makes the characters look like strange little dolls rather than people. And the tattoo animation seems cribbed straight out of Disney's Hercules. The overall mythical story is strong, but waylaid by too many cutesy segments and action setpieces - I would have preferred a straighter telling of the legend, and of course, minus those insipid songs (even Maui remarks to Moana at one point, "You're not going to break into song, are you?"). *B*

The directors also directed... Hercules.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:58 am
Cream of the Crop

Chippy wrote:
tree and a half wrote:
The fact that Moana tells a tale of the Pacific Islanders and their voyaging canoes is certainly something to be celebrated - they are neglected heroes of human exploration. However, those brutally generic Broadway show tunes crammed into the mouths of these noble people is obnoxious. Even the best of the songs, You're Welcome, doesn't belong in this movie. It would have been amazing to see a culturally appropriate score for Moana (though We Know The Way comes close). The animation is beautiful for the most part, though there are certain sequences where the lighting makes the characters look like strange little dolls rather than people. And the tattoo animation seems cribbed straight out of finds the directors repeating themselves from Disney's Hercules. The overall mythical story is strong, but waylaid by too many cutesy segments and action setpieces - I would have preferred a straighter telling of the legend, and of course, minus those insipid songs (even Maui remarks to Moana at one point, "You're not going to break into song, are you?"). *B*

The directors also directed... Hercules.

I hadn't realized that Disney had gotten their tendrils so deep into Pixar - I have fixed my review accordingly.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:24 am
The Wall

This is Disney, not Pixar.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

_axiom wrote:
This is Disney, not Pixar.

Thanks ax_man! It's an unfortunate side effect of not reading up on movies before I see them. :oops:

Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:04 pm
The Wall

Company logos at the beginning/end credits can tell you without any extra reading up needed, before or after.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:12 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

_axiom wrote:
Company logos at the beginning/end credits can tell you without any extra reading up needed, before or after.

In retrospect, yes - it is obvious. My mistake.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:30 pm
Forum General

I had a good time with it, but the story was a bit too generic for my taste. The animation was gorgeous though and the voicework is great, especially from The Rock and the girl who voiced Moana. Songs were nice, although only two really stood out to me, but it did remind me of classic era Disney and I dug that.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:53 am
The Wall

**1/2 / ***** (C-)

Stunning animation. Yet as it is often the case in Hollywood there's not that much substance behind something beautiful. The story is simple but not bad by any means and had lots of potential. It's just being told through plot devices we've seen countless times now in Disney movie. A parent too protective of his/her child to let him/her do what they want to do in life, a journey where the hero discovers true self, etc. Pair that with songs that sound like cheap Disney knock off's and you get a mediocre and forgettable Disney offering.

I did appreciate the fact there isn't a romance in this movie. I would have also appreciated if the eco-friendly point was a bit more focused on. It kind of got lost throughout the movie and the ending was focused more on Moana learning about herself and being accepted by her family for what and adventurer she is or whatever than on respecting the nature.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Just bought the Bluray and watched it again. This movie is really relaxing to watch. Makes you feel like you are at sea

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:21 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This is a pretty great movie. While utilizing many standard motifs, plot devices, and song cues from previous Disney movies, Moana nevertheless manages to breathe life into the characters and story. I loved how central feminine power was to the journey itself and its somewhat non-traditional conclusion (she wins over the heart of the 'demon' with a song and wise understanding). I loved the focus on a tribal society and its accompanying traditions, legends, and social mores.

There's a mild sense of unease I get watching these movies, the weird line waltzed between gorgeous animation and creepy uncanny valley, but these misgivings typically fade midway. Overall, I loved the different styles of animation used throughout.... and "Shiny" was THE best part of the movie, my mouth was honestly agape the whole time.... like... this is really in the movie?? A synth-rock glamour version Ursula's "Poor Unfortunate Souls" by way of David Bowie and Flight of the Conchords with psychedelic visuals???? WEIRD. COOL.

B+

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:47 pm
Indiana Jones IV

this *may* be my favorite animated movie of the year so far, although its very close between this and Zootopia as well as Kubo and the Two Strings. All three were borderline great if slightly lacking. I have yet to see The Red Turtle or Your Name.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:51 pm
Hold the door!

Watched it again tonight. Love this so much! And the songs are so great as well.

Consider the coconut!

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:40 am
Defeats all expectations

Everything is so bright and glossy here. Each major character has its fun moments. But one finds it hard to feel emotionally attached to any of them. The movie is obviously made for the simple-minded and people who want to feel good.

The visuals are so colorfully rich and detailed that they make one want to dive into the ocean and live on the islands portrayed in the animation. The songs are catchy and uplifting too. But the robotically tuned versions of "How Far I'll Go" and "You're Welcome" during the end credits kind of destroy the simple and breezy mood there.

75/100 (B+)

P.S. Does anyone find the Te Ka monster similar in appearance to the tree monster in A Monster Calls and Dormammu in Doctor Strange?

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:48 pm
Devil's Advocate

Pretty good animated musical. My favorite songs were You're Welcome, Shiny and We Know the Way. I generally like the sea setting and the chemistry between Moana and Maui is good. Ultimately however the princess who disobeys her father to go on her mission is a little played out in Disney films at this point, and I'm not sure if Moana's actual arc in this is the strongest, it starts off well but after she leaves the island there isn't that much internal conflict. I prefer Frozen 2 which I saw yesterday.

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:49 pm
Hold the door!

This definitely peaks around the Tamatoa scene, but it’s definitely a strong entry in the Disney canon, though it doesn’t match Tangled or Frozens brilliance among similar films. The soundtrack is killer, with no bad songs. It could use more songs actually, considering the amount of time they spend reprising How Far I’ll Go. The characters again are what make this film work, even if the plot breaks no new ground. The finale is definitely among Disney’s best, with an organ mix rather than forced twist.

Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next