Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Doctor Strange 

Rate This Film
A 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
B 53%  53%  [ 9 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

Doctor Strange 
You must have big rats

Post Re: Doctor Strange
zwackerm wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Jmart wrote:

I don't know how, but Marvel needs to get me to care again, especially in their third acts. Fourteen films in, and not surprisingly, the formula is getting kind of stale.

And, yet, somehow, for critics it isn't.

Marvel really has mastered the art of the "good enough" film.

The ratings do not really say "good enough". They are just very good. And when I went out of my press screening most reactions weren't "Eh, it was solid", but "Damn, that was truly great!"

Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:20 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Are we going by the 90% or the 7.3?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's mid-tier Marvel for me, but that's still really good. I would rank it above Thor and the Avengers movies. I actually feel like it could have been a little longer, the setup takes up most of the film. That being said, it's probably the most exciting Marvel film on a visual level and the action sequences are a delight. I also liked the movie's sense of humor as well. Cumberbatch and Swinton were great, and Rachel McAdams is good though I wish her character had more to do. The credits scene is also super fun. B+

Rankings:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Guardians Of The Galaxy
3. Iron Man
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Iron Man 3
6. Captain America: Civil War
7. Ant-Man
8. Doctor Strange
9. Avengers: Age of Ultron
10. Thor: The Dark World
11. The Avengers
12. Thor
13. The Incredible Hulk
14. Iron Man 2

Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:18 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Eh, it was average. The main issue for me is that I'm just not such a fan of Cumberbatch. He looked great as Doctor Strange, but I could not warm to his egotistical personality. Most of the humour worked, but in terms of the action and plot, I just couldn't get invested in what I was seeing. Tilda Swinton turns me the wrong way too. Doctor Strange is Marvel at its safest.

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:09 pm
Profile WWW

One of the better more complete Marvel films, but it has the typical Marvel shortcomings. Bland filmmaking, mediocre pacing, and an uninspired score clash with witty screenwriting, talented acting, and solid action to make a good, but not great film.

Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:56 pm
Extraordinary

That was fine.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:25 am
Cream of the Crop

Doctor Strange is yet another run of the mill superhero saves the world movie, this time a knock-off of eastern mysticism. On the plus side, I'm always happy to see Tilda Swinton, even when she's slumming it, and I laughed at the shamabala joke - the only funny thing in a movie that mistakenly seems to think it's very funny. Overall, this is a bore. *D*

Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:58 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

I enjoyed it, as I do the majority of the MCU, although I found it to be surprisingly rushed for an origin film.

To go from a being neurosurgeon, even if one considers his particular skills, to becoming a master of mysticism capable of breaking the laws of nature, trapping a powerful, dark mystical entity in a time loop in just a matter of months is a bit far'fetched. Perhaps the character did just that in the comics, I haven't read much about Dr. Strange, but it's still far-reaching, even for a superhero.

That said, I enjoyed it as I mentioned and Cumberbatch is very good. The effects are also nice here, and a refreshing change from your typical explosions in other MCU films. B-.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

I quite enjoyed it. Great visuals, Crumberpatch is perfect as Strange and solid origin story. Though perhaps not enough McAdams.

List....

Captain America: Civil War
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Iron Man
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Doctor Strange
Iron Man 3
Ant-Man
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Thor: The Dark World
The Avengers
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:18 am
Indiana Jones IV

Huge ups for the visuals in this movie..... the scene where The Ancient One mind fucks Stephen throughout the universe.... so cool, one of the coolest pure visual treats I've seen. Also loved the bright colors of Dormamu's realm towards the end. Cool to see on the big screen.

However, in the very first action sequence I wondered, how the fuck do you fight against that??? (Tilda's power to swivel reality) And this question was never answered to my satisfaction. In fact a huge problem with this movie is its internal consistency... Sometimes certain powers were used to devastating effect, sometimes they were not. Sometimes Dr. Strange's magic cloak would protect him from a blow or soften his landing, sometimes it would not. Some of the most highly trained sorcerers were done away with lickety-split, while a newbie like the weird Doctor lasted for extended scenes against a host of the very bad guys, effectively winning against the main antagonist in their first confrontation.

The movie starts slow, which I actually enjoyed, but once Strange begins to learn the nature of magic, the whole thing flies by, almost stunning you to the huge inconsistencies and lack of build-up to the climax. This was cool to watch, but leave your brain at the door.

C+

ALSO, when Stephen is wondering how that guy recovered his ability to walk after a devastating 'full fracture of his C7 and C8 vertebrae'..... there is no C8 vertebrae. The next vertebrae after C7 is the T1, I would know as I broke both last year. (and yes I too am using magic to propel myself through the physical world)

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:24 pm
You must have big rats

No C8 vertebra, true, but there is a C8 spinal nerve and damage to that leads to full paralysis of legs.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

oh thanks! You really are a Dr., Lecter

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:10 pm
now we know

Dr. Lecter wrote:
No C8 vertebra

Ummm...

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This was pretty meh. Gorgeous visually, but lacks anything innovative. It feels like Iron Man over again but with magic and Inception visuals. Not horrible, but nothing worth watching twice.

C

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:14 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I don't know how I feel about this one. I didn't think most of the comedy worked. And the action was fine. I did really enjoy his showdown that kept repeating. I think his character arc wasn't fleshed out enough. I really enjoyed him prior accident, but with such a strong minded character, it seemed like his "transformation" was rushed.

B-?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon May 22, 2017 2:16 pm
Hold the door!

This is easily Marvels weakest film for me. Iron Man 2 at least had Black Widow to inject life into it. This is just dull and feels a million years long.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:39 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

After Iron Man and Ant-Man this serves as the third best origins movie for me (BP coming at close #4). The graphics in this movie are AMAZING, much better than any other MCU movie though ofcourse limited in scope and use here. The finale again is much duller in comparison because its traded by having a "fun twist". The story is so re-watchable though I would have wanted to see more of a transformation into the magician that he is claimed to be, specially because he easily surpasses Mordo (who is his teacher). Loved McAdams' role in this even though its very small.

Tue May 19, 2020 4:29 am
Wallflower

I didn't have much interest in this but my friend said I had to watch it before we see Spider-Man: No Way Home. It was honestly worse than I expected. It's not that it's bad but it's not my kind of movie and I found it very boring. I was only interested when Rachel McAdams was on screen. A movie following her character around the hospital would have been more engrossing.

Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:47 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I remember absolutely nothing about this movie and understood NWH just fine, Doctor Strange is barely in that one after the first 20 minutes or so.

Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:18 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

Dr. Strange, like almost all MCU characters, change their persona after meeting Tony Stark. I love this movie but its not at all essential to No Way Home if you have seen Infinity War and Endgame.

Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:45 am
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
I remember absolutely nothing about this movie and understood NWH just fine, Doctor Strange is barely in that one after the first 20 minutes or so.

That's good because not much in this movie registered for me.

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Dr. Strange, like almost all MCU characters, change their persona after meeting Tony Stark. I love this movie but its not at all essential to No Way Home if you have seen Infinity War and Endgame.

I have seen those.

Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2