Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 La La Land 

Rate This Film
A 72%  72%  [ 18 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 5 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 25

La La Land 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post La La Land

Quote:
La La Land is a 2016 American romantic musical comedy-drama film written and directed by Damien Chazelle. The film stars Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, J. K. Simmons, Finn Wittrock, Callie Hernandez, Rosemarie DeWitt and Meagen Fay. The plot follows a musician and aspiring actress who meet and fall in love in Los Angeles.

The film's title is a reference to both a nickname for the city of Los Angeles as well as a euphemism for a state of being out of touch with reality. La La Land had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on August 31, 2016 before being set for release in the United States on December 2, 2016 by Summit Entertainment.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:52 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: La La Land
I'm seeing this tomorrow :wub: I can't wait! I'm already in love with this movie.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:18 pm
Profile YIM
We had our time together

This is exactly as charming and loveable as the trailers make you believe.

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:33 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie. It is absolutely fucking incredible and lives up to the hype and then some. It is absolutely gorgeous, fun, beautiful, heartbreaking, whimsical - it really does harken back to an era of film we haven't seen onscreen in a while. I will post more thoughts later but Damien Chazelle proves Whiplash was not a fluke here and deserves to be ranked among the greats for this one-two punch. And Emma Stone, whom I've adored for years now, delivers what should be the performance that is going to catapult her to the top of the A-list. She is stunning and has a heartbreaking final song that is akin to Anne Hathaway's "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Mis that is going to win her Best Actress at the Oscars next year. Ryan Gosling is fantastic as well but this is Stone's movie through and through. Easily my favorite of the year. Pure magic. A+

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:45 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is a movie that is going to be talked about in 20 years or so as a classic. It's such a momentous crowdpleaser and I am easily predicting well over 100+ Million for it, maybe even over 150+.

"Another Day Of Sun," "Someone In The Crowd," "City of Stars" and "Audition (Fools Who Dream)" are instant classics.

And the ending is so beautiful. I cried and everyone in my audience did as well. People were literally bursting into spontaneous applause after certain songs. I've never seen that happen before.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:49 am
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

I looked at the soundtrack. Is there only like 5 songs in this movie? I thought it was a full musical.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:10 am
You must have big rats

thompsoncory wrote:
This is a movie that is going to be talked about in 20 years or so as a classic. It's such a momentous crowdpleaser and I am easily predicting well over 100+ Million for it, maybe even over 150+.

"Another Day Of Sun," "Someone In The Crowd," "City of Stars" and "Audition (Fools Who Dream)" are instant classics.

And the ending is so beautiful. I cried and everyone in my audience did as well. People were literally bursting into spontaneous applause after certain songs. I've never seen that happen before.

I bet some even spontaneously masturbated from all the excitement.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Dr. Lecter wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:

Just like when I saw Moana!

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:15 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

zwackerm wrote:
I looked at the soundtrack. Is there only like 5 songs in this movie? I thought it was a full musical.

There are 7 original songs, several of which are reprised. It's definitely a full musical as there are a lot of dance sequences, etc. going on as well that aren't part of the songs and just have a score as backing.

There are also like 3 '80s covers.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:24 pm
Profile YIM
Gamaur's sex slave

zwackerm wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:

In a room full of children. :disgust:

Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:30 pm
Hold the door!

Price wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:

In a room full of children. :disgust:

I saw it late at night, there was mostly adults.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:50 pm
You must have big rats

zwackerm wrote:

You are on to something there.

I really really liked the film. It is super charming, the songs are great, the opening is a killer and Emma Stone should be well on her way to that Oscar.

However, about halfway into it, the film forgets that is is a musical. There is a song or two and some music, but all separate from then on, no song/dance-scene until the very finale. It basically stops being a musical after the first hour until right before the end.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I don't think it forgets that it is at all. It just starts incorporating music in more authentic ways with Seb joining the band and such.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:59 am
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

It starts off as a full-blown classic musical and it simply stops being one in the middle for a long time. I was certainly not the only one to notice that during the screening.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

That's how Frozen is too. 9 songs in the first hour. None in the last 40 minutes.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:01 pm
You must have big rats

I've come to the coinclusion that it is the best live action musical since Moulin Rouge!

Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Seems a pattern that Broadway adaptations are difficult to get right.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:57 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Dr. Lecter wrote:
I've come to the coinclusion that it is the best live action musical since Moulin Rouge!

This.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:34 am
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

Looks like I am not the only one who noticed the shift in the film's middle:

Quote:
But then the next stretch begins. As Sebastian finds a successful if not entirely satisfying career in music, and Mia tries to put together a one-woman show, the music suddenly stops. Almost literally. While we do see Sebastian playing with his band (led by John Legend), the musical-ness of La La Land drains away, ceding to a basic relationship story we’ve seen many times before. There’s still enough charm innate to this project to hold our attention, but the specialness of the film’s beginnings is sorely missed.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... and-review

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:19 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am watching this tonight. Very excited.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:49 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Soundtrack is out :wub:

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:38 am
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

Another Day in the Sun is okay. Someone in the Crowd is very good. A Lovely Night is okay. City of Stars is catchy. Audition is the best song in the soundtrack.

The whole thing is very old fashioned. I like it, but "instant classic" is hyperbole for most of them. Maybe they work a whole lot better in the movie. The songs are good, but I was expecting a bit more after thompsoncory's rave.

Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:45 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

"Start A Fire" is also a musical number.

I don't think a lot of these have the full effect until you've seen the film. Particularly "Another Day Of Sun."

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:46 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

thompsoncory wrote:
"Start A Fire" is also a musical number.

I don't think a lot of these have the full effect until you've seen the film. Particularly "Another Day Of Sun."

That is true. It is the scene that makes the song.

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

This is a visual treat and the songs are great. The romance is wonderful and magical, supported with a great backdrop of songs that will be in your mind for a long time. The choreography is brilliant as well. Damien Chazelle has done a brilliant work in creating the ambience but what he somewhat fails is to give a great story to support. He just shot to #1 this year for Best Director in my list (ofcourse there are more movies to come).

As the originality of the music/singing fades the movie goes safe that prevents it from achieving greatness. The characters here are just that, the story and most of the songs don't entirely support these characters, the song are strictly for romance arc only. The finale is when the music comes back re-surging, bringing back the energy and life to the movie. Emma Stone is brilliant and a Oscar nomination is a given, though a win I am not sure because I felt her slipping in the emotional scenes (aka, "Maybe I am not good enough"), still she is VERY strong at right now #1 in Best Actress list for me. Ryan Gosling does great but when I compare this to his past brilliant roles (Lars and the real Girl) I don't think its the best performance though an Oscar nod for his performance is also certain.

The film has magic as seen in the trailers when the music is on, you just can't take your eyes off screen during that time. Its a great movie though with all the praise that I have seen here, I expected more. They really don't movies like this anymore, though I wish the music was an extension during the middle act of the movie as well.

City of Stars is obviously brilliant and Emma Stone's Audition (The Fools Who Dream) is equally brilliant.

8/10

Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next