Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 La La Land 

Rate This Film
A 72%  72%  [ 18 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 5 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 25

La La Land 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: La La Land
Also song LIIISSSSSTTTTT

1. Audition
2. Someone in the Crowd
3. City of Stars
4. Another Day of Sun
5. Start a Fire
6. A Lovely Night

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

jmovies wrote:
Also song LIIISSSSSTTTTT

1. Audition
2. Someone in the Crowd
3. City of Stars
4. Another Day of Sun
5. Start a Fire
6. A Lovely Night

Switch the last two and this list is correct.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:39 am
Extraordinary

1. Someone in the Crowd
2. Another Day of Sun
3. A Lovely Night
4. Audition
5. City of Stars

6. Start a Fire

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:41 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

1. Audition
2. Another Day Of Sun
3. Someone In The Crowd
4. City Of Stars (Reprise)
5. A Lovely Night
6. Start A Fire
7. City of Stars

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:58 am
Profile YIM
Dont Mess with the Gez

Never been a fan of musicals by any means (though I do like Moulin Rouge) but La la Land is extraordinary. One of the most enjoyable cinematic experiences ever for me. Completely agree with Libs, thomsoncory and David's reviews. Stone deserves to win Best Actress for this. A perfect performance.

A+

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:18 am
now we know

La La Land is a special film. Creative, romantic, vibrant, kinetic, upbeat escapism. Beautifully acted, with charm, charisma, and adorable energy and unmatched chemistry, and that score .. just wow .. "City of Stars" now etched into my soul. Reminiscent of one of the songs from Whiplash, but different in execution. Such a wonderful finale. I want to see it again. This is what makes cinema so worthwhile. For all the average movies, one like La La Land eventually comes along.

Best film of the year. Nothing comes close.

A+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:03 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

1. Audition
  2. Mia & Sebastian's Theme
  3. Epilogue
  4. City of Stars (Emma Stone + Ryan Gosling)
  5. A Lovely Night
  6. City of Stars (Ryan Gosling)
  7. Another Day of Sun
  8. Planetarium
  9. Someone in the Crowd
  10. Summer Montage/Madeline
  11. Engagement Party
  12. Start a Fire
  13. City of Stars (Humming)
  14. The End
  15. Herman's Habit

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Wow. Really wished I was more into this film. It's great sure, but I fail to see what is so great about it other than the six songs (spread too thinly throughout the movie) and the performances. The storyline could be out of an episode of Glee.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:08 am
Forum General

Glee? What? Please tell your brother to quit beating you, you're losing far too many brain cells lately.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:22 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hold the door!

movies35 wrote:
Glee? What? Please tell your brother to quit beating you, you're losing far too many brain cells lately.

Maybe Glee was a bad analogy.

But I'm sure I've heard the "it sure is hard to move to LA and pursue performing!" before.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:27 am
Extraordinary

zwackerm wrote:
Wow. Really wished I was more into this film. It's great sure, but I fail to see what is so great about it other than the six songs (spread too thinly throughout the movie) and the performances. The storyline could be out of an episode of Glee.

... let me guess, you're gonna Force Awakens this and bash it every chance you get even though you liked it.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:28 am
Hold the door!

publicenemy#1 wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

... let me guess, you're gonna Force Awakens this and bash it every chance you get even though you liked it.

No. I liked it much more than that. I'm really just upset as a fan of musicals that I can't get more excited about this. Like literally every Disney musical and Broadway adaptation I love a lot and no one else does, and when other people finally appreciate musicals as much as I do, it doesn't blow me away.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:31 am
Forum General

I don't really get the "there isn't enough music!" argument. The first half is classic Hollywood, big, splashy, over the top romance. The second half is grounded in reality and more gritty, if you will. The big, splashy musical numbers would have felt incredibly out of place. Then comes in Mia's "Cabaret" moment with Audition, which is just a brilliant moment.

Saying this isn't at least as good as Les Miserables or Into the Woods is just silly (and I love both of them dearly). This will be a classic film, neither of those will be. This is less of a Broadway musical and more of the old time Hollywood musical from the 1950s. There is a big difference.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Yeah, Broadway adaptations are actually a really bad example for this. You have to think of the fact that film musicals and Broadway musicals are completely different mediums - there's a reason why a good number of the big "Broadway adaptations" have their fair share of detractors.

Also, Beauty and the Beast has like 6 songs if you don't count reprises. I don't think Disney movies are an apt comparison either.

It's just so weird because I've now seen this twice theatrically and watched a screener a few times and never is there a moment where you're like "oh yes, this stops being a musical." The DNA is there throughout. It's not like Enchanted.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:17 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

I haven't watched many old film musicals that weren't based on Broadway shows. The only ones I can think of are White Christmas and Wizard of Oz. I guess I really just don't like this kind of musical as much as the Broadway style.

And a Beauty and the Beast I found much more engaging story wise than this.

Really just wish I fell in love with it. Oh well. Maybe I'll truly love it on DVD.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:41 pm
now we know

I just remembered J.K. Simmons' short appearance in the finale. Awesome and hilarious at the same time.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

zwackerm wrote:
I haven't watched many old film musicals that weren't based on Broadway shows. The only ones I can think of are White Christmas and Wizard of Oz.

Poor you depriving yourself of the singular cinematic delight that is "Singin' in the Rain."

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:54 pm
Cream of the Crop

tree and a half wrote:
I've still got one more viewing of La La Land coming up next week, with my old movie musical posse - perhaps some heretofore hidden qualities of La La Land will yet reveal themselves to me.

I saw La La Land for the third and final time yesterday and unfortunately it offered no new epiphany to absolve itself of its mediocrity.

My co-viewers were bereft and practically inconsolable after pinning so much hope on seeing a rare new musical and then being short-changed. One pointed out the key weakness of the plot hinging on Ryan Gosling overhearing Emma Stone having one casual telephone conversation with her mother (who isn't even a character in the movie). He compromises everything he claimed to value based on that and blames her for it, despite everything she said to him directly being supportive of his dream. On the plus side, everyone said the non-happy ending marginally redeemed the movie from being a total dud. They also were happy they could at least hum a song on the way out (an exceedingly rare occurence), though the fact that La La Land is barely a musical was not lost on them.

While waiting in line to get in, we overheard a person in the group ahead of us saying to his cohorts, "I just want to let you know that I'm going to love this movie no matter what!" I think that goes a long way to explaining the mismatch between the actual movie and some viewers overreaction to it - musical lovers are so deprived, that they are willing to submit to the hype and overlook the actual movie and watch the hopes in their heads instead.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:08 am
The Kramer

So the theme of the movie is that love holds you back and you can only be successful and achieve your dream if you grow up and let it go. Wonderful. I'm thrilled that I just invested two hours into a romance movie.

It's really good up until the final Winter though.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:04 pm
The Kramer

Damien must have been so sad when his college girlfriend showed up to the Whiplash premiere with another guy. That's basically what this amounts to. A shame they force this Casablanca ending on us when everything else is so good. I'll still vote for it in Art Direction, Cinematography, Score and maybe others.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:26 pm
You must have big rats

I absolutely disagree because the melancholic ending fits it perfectly, but there is obviously a theme going through Whiplash and La La Land. Art over love. My colleague said after this film: "Damien Chazelle might not be getting laid much".

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

But that came out of nowhere for me. It seemed like the passion they felt for each other was helping their art. I think you can do the same ending sans the kid and have it all. They've sacrificed their love for their careers, but there is still hope of rekindling it without breaking up a family. This ending is a one-sided melancholy since only one of the characters was able to move on.

Again, the movie is fantastic up to this point. Don't wanna make it seem like I hated it.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:02 pm
You must have big rats

Eh, I think both moved on and yet both are longing for the past.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
This ending is a one-sided melancholy since only one of the characters was able to move on.

The melancholy isn't really one-sided as sure Mia "moved on" but the visions in the finale can be interpreted as her visions, and it's understandable that she still feels for him. I thought that whole finale really elevated the film.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:10 pm
Sbil

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
So the theme of the movie is that love holds you back and you can only be successful and achieve your dream if you grow up and let it go. Wonderful. I'm thrilled that I just invested two hours into a romance movie.

It's really good up until the final Winter though.

I disagree with that interpretation. It's saying that sometimes two people can love each other and want the best for each other, even if what that ultimately means is not being together.

In my opinion, it is a flawless and beautiful conclusion to the film. I would literally not change one single thing from the moment of "Audition" until the credits start rolling.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next