Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Finding Dory 

What grade would you give this film?
A 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

Finding Dory 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Finding Dory
Loved it. The supporting characters in Hank, Destiny, Bailey and the sea lions were the highlight but I enjoyed Dory's storyline too as the film dips into an occasionally darker place than the original. A very fine Pixar sequel in the class of Toy Story 2 and 3

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:22 pm
Cream of the Crop

Finding Dory is a dull retread of the already weak original. Pixar is dying of sequelitis. *F*

Great short though. I give Piper an *A+*

Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:09 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am surprised again that you think this was an "F" tree. What score did you give to the original?

Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:59 pm
Cream of the Crop

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I am surprised again that you think this was an "F" tree. What score did you give to the original?

I was underwhelmed by the first, but didn't consider it a failure. But I am getting sick of Pixar doing sequels, especially when they use exact same story as the original. Additionally, though I found the photo-realistic animation in Piper stunning, I found the increased resolution in Finding Dory made it creepy, especially Marlin. Seeing the face of Albert Brooks grafted on to a clown fish was exceptionally unpleasant. Finally, I found the emotional impact to be lazy and unearned with the obviously manipulative script. But I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:46 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I guess if you didn't like the first there was no way you were going to enjoy this one. I agree to the emotional impact and manipulative script but still thought it was enjoyable enough on its own without the comparisons, except for the final ending with the chase scene, that part is just too much.

Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:22 am

This film retreads on the beats of the first film much like Force Awakens with A New Hope. But the Sea Luons were great.

B+

Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:56 am
Hold the door!

The main idea of a search for someone is recycled, but really other than that I don't see how it's that much of a retread. The first movie was an epic journey, this is an intense chase.

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:39 am

Spoiler: show
-Hanging out in the coral reef
-Desire to go out into the big blue world
-Dares to go out
-Dangerous aquatic encounter
-Shit! Kidnapped by humans (better if this one and previous are switched)
-Meet partners that will help you escape from captivity
-Birds can fly, it'll be important later
-Marlin's got to learn how to trust others in his rescue mission
-Lets bounce, there will be a few seconds of drama, but it'll be fine
-Just when it looks like our heroes came to find exactly who we are looking for, our hero thinks they are dead
-Nope, just kidding, family reunited!
-Oh what's this!? Now the fish we started the journey with need to be rescued! Shit, the irony!
-Trust me dad, I got this, you don't have to worry, just believe in me
-Hooray!
-Now we are all back together living in the coral reef, but now with some added friends

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:57 am
Hold the door!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Spoiler: show
-Hanging out in the coral reef
-Desire to go out into the big blue world
-Dares to go out
-Dangerous aquatic encounter
-Shit! Kidnapped by humans (better if this one and previous are switched)
-Meet partners that will help you escape from captivity
-Birds can fly, it'll be important later
-Marlin's got to learn how to trust others in his rescue mission
-Lets bounce, there will be a few seconds of drama, but it'll be fine
-Just when it looks like our heroes came to find exactly who we are looking for, our hero thinks they are dead
-Nope, just kidding, family reunited!
-Oh what's this!? Now the fish we started the journey with need to be rescued! Shit, the irony!
-Trust me dad, I got this, you don't have to worry, just believe in me
-Hooray!
-Now we are all back together living in the coral reef, but now with some added friends

Most of that has to do with the shoehorned Marlin and Nemo stuff. I think if the movie had solely focused on Dory's journey, it would have been better and felt less like a retread, even though I didn't have an issue with it in this movie.

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:17 am
Pure Phase

I was the last person on earth to see this tonight. ;) I enjoyed it: B. It is inferior to the first—it is less expansive in regard to both scope and the emotional experience, and by the time an octopus and a fish are driving a tractor trailer on a freeway, it has veered perilously close to Madagascar or Secret Life of Pets territory—but the animation is gorgeous, and the characters great (both new and old). The grumpy, Ed O'Neill-voiced octopus is terrific.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:56 pm
Indiana Jones IV

It's passably cute, but nowhere near the depths and wonder of Finding Nemo. The movie struggles to justify its own existence, despite some tender resonance regarding families and those with disabilities. Honestly there's something really haunting about Dory's forgetfulness, kind of scary when you enlarge it to its own full length movie. But the supporting characters, mad-cap action pieces, and timely emotional moments all feel somewhat rote, as if the film-makers had a checklist.

One of Pixar's lower efforts, worse than Brave or Cars.

B

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:20 am

Steve wrote:
It's passably cute, but nowhere near the depths and wonder of Finding Nemo. The movie struggles to justify its own existence, despite some tender resonance regarding families and those with disabilities. Honestly there's something really haunting about Dory's forgetfulness, kind of scary when you enlarge it to its own full length movie. But the supporting characters, mad-cap action pieces, and timely emotional moments all feel somewhat rote, as if the film-makers had a checklist.

B

I found Brave more empty than this, but much of the rest I agree with.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:57 am
Cream of the Crop

Becky is my pick for the least appealling Pixar character to date.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:17 am
Hold the door!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Steve wrote:

B

I found Brave more empty than this, but much of the rest I agree with.

You think Brave is empty? I think it's real issue is similarity to other Pixar movies. The production itself is sumptuous.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:19 am
now we know

This film is such a waste of time. It is a total, shameless cash grab - just an excuse to see the turtles and Marlin and Nemo again. And I wouldn't mind so much if this film was creative or interesting or even educational, but it is just a shit rehash of Finding Nemo. Well, up until the end it is anyway. The film's plot is as formulaic as it gets. There are unnecessary halts in the "fun" to explain yet again what friendship is or what family is or a monologue on believing in yourself. It is utterly generic and boring. It is just 'search, joke, heartfelt speech', 'search, joke, heartfelt speech' and repeat. Dory, voiced by Ellen Degeneres, is not funny. She's just annoying. And the new characters (the sea lions, that octopus, Destiny, and Bailey) are no match for even the seagulls in the first film, let alone Bruce (who is strangely absent here). The ending is admirable (the slow-mo truck) but overall Finding Dory is a hopeless, uninspired sequel.

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Algren wrote:
Which cunts gave this an F?

I gave it an F, and by the sound of your review, you would have given it an F too, if you hadn't aready poisoned the water.

Algren wrote:
Finding Dory

This film is such a waste of time. It is a total, shameless cash grab - just an excuse to see the turtles and Marlin and Nemo again. And I wouldn't mind so much if this film was creative or interesting or even educational, but it is just a shit rehash of Finding Nemo. Well, up until the end it is anyway. The film's plot is as formulaic as it gets. There are unnecessary halts in the "fun" to explain yet again what friendship is or what family is or a monologue on believing in yourself. It is utterly generic and boring. It is just 'search, joke, heartfelt speech', 'search, joke, heartfelt speech' and repeat. Dory, voiced by Ellen Degeneres, is not funny. She's just annoying. And the new characters (the sea lions, that octopus, Destiny, and Bailey) are no match for even the seagulls in the first film, let alone Bruce (who is strangely absent here). The ending is admirable (the slow-mo truck) but overall Finding Dory is a hopeless, uninspired sequel.

D+

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Edit:

I've got to QFT the following post for posterity - Algren is often manipulative, but rarely so transparent.

Algren wrote:
There is a chasm between D+ and F. Only a true cunt could give this an F, or an attention-seeking troll.

Last edited by tree and a half on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:16 am
now we know

There is a chasm between D+ and F. Only a true cunt could give this an F, or an attention-seeking troll.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Would not be out of place in the DTV section.

Though harmless, ultimately wholly unnecessary.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

***1/2 / ***** (B-)

A sequel not up to par with its predecessor. It has some really good things going for itself, but for the most part the story feels too familiar. Marlin and Nemo were sidekicked to irrelevance which makes their inclusion questionable. I like how they built on Dory traits from the original movie into her past and personality. That itself was definitely worth making this movie. Hank is one of the best Pixar characters in a while.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

My main issue is that it cheapens the first film by making it so easy for them to cross a MUCH bigger distance than they did in the original. They only went from the great barrier reef to Sydney in the first one and that was a huge odyssey, but in this one they make it across the entire Pacific just like that? This extends into how over the top it becomes for the fish to transport themselves across the aquarium. The first one was a lot more plausible. And yes I know it's an animated film, but I like my animated films to have consistency in their universe.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:16 pm
Forum General

Or for hacks like Andrew Stanton to eat humble pie, get dressed down and retire.

Wouldn't be surprised if he engaged in John Lasseter type behaviour or worse, the egomaniac.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I didn't love it when I saw this in theaters but I enjoyed this a little more now. Its still not as good as the original but the main story-line of finding the parents lands very well. The whole search is definitely uninteresting and the seagulls and new side characters were annoying. I wish they would have ended the movie after finding the parents but no idea why they had to do a double ending, without the second ending this might have been very close to the original.

Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2