Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Warcraft 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
D 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Warcraft 
now we know

Post Re: Warcraft
Dr. Lecter wrote:
So it is true. If you are not a fan, you better steer clear.

It seems to be the case, yeah.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:09 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

David wrote:
A more apt comparison might be the deadly dull franchise nonstarter Eragon, but with a meaner spirit, a longer running time, and arguably double the pompous, po-faced sense of faux-import. F

Eragon is the worst movie I've seen in the theater. I know people, especially families, who enjoyed it fine because they'd never read the books. But I read the books and was pissed off when I left the theater.

Warcraft is not that bad, but it's not good either. However, I've never played the game, so I didn't have the expectations I had with Eragon.

I found the Ogre storylines somewhat interesting, and way moreso than the human characters. I never felt fully into the movie though. The editing was a mess. Some of the effects were good, and I saw it in 3D, which I felt was done quite well. Overall, it felt like there was too much and too little going on simultaneously. There's a vast world with a ton of potentially interesting characters and cultures, but I didn't feel attached to most of them. As a huge junkie of fantasy films, I only found myself very modestly entertained. At leasted I didn't feel like slamming a door on the way out like I did with Eragon.

C

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

KJ consensus: "... But not the worst movie ever". They should put it on the blu ray.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:48 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I do actually put this with Eragon in terms of movie. I know that had its weakness presenting stuff but this one sometimes feels like they forgot to edit the movie and go completely different direction. I didn't like Eragon because that was the worst adaption of a brilliant novel but Warcraft may or many not be the worst adaption of the video game but its a equally horrible big budget mess.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:55 am
Cream of the Crop

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
KJ consensus: "... But not the worst movie ever".

Translation: It's actually a pretty good movie, but we don't have enough confidence in our own opinion to go against the popular prejudice.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:46 am
now we know

Shut up, Bradley. It's hardly reinventing the wheel.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:55 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

It ended up being not as bad as I though it would be (based on the horrific trailers), But it's still pretty bad.

I played Warcraft a long time ago as a kid. Just Warcraft 1 & 2. So I basically remember some of the units, but the story is pretty much non existent for me as I can't remember a single plot or theme from the games. That being said I thought that the movie story wasn't as bad or as confusing for a video game adaptation as it could've been. I think it's pretty linear and straightforward. Orcs live in a dying world, they want to conquer a new one. But there's a little plot twist - they're actually being (mis)lead by Fel (evil magic). Humans have to protect their world. The end. So I really don't get all the mentions of the story making no sense. What doesn't make sense are characters really. They're all underdeveloped and feel very random.

I think the movie fails as it's trying to present a pretty easy story as some huge fantasy saga. In the beginning of the movie once we get to the human world we get presented to 3 or 4 locations with grand outer visuals. The point being to pick-up a certain character and never come back to that place again. The movie does these grand huge locations and sets over and over again, just to follow it up with a rather small scale scene. Even the battles and the armies aren't as huge as they're implied. If the movie was an actual small scale introduction to the Warcraft world and focused on the core 5/6 human characters and 3/4 orc ones we had I think it would turn out as a pretty decent movie. As it is, it mention various Azeroth races, yet we see only human ones. It shows Fel magic uses that are not properly explained. It introduces the concept of the Guardian, doesn't really explain it (the name is pretty self explanatory though) and then we get to see what's the Guardian's home town / training ground or whatever. It's full of little things like that that end up convoluting the story for no proper reason.

Visually the movie is pretty hit and miss for me. When it hits, it hits it right out of the ballpark and makes Azeroth a really beautiful fantasy land that is a joy to watch. But when it misses it looks pretty damn bad. The thing I disliked the most is how they didn't seem to properly synchronize the mouth's of the orc with their voices. It was a pretty distracting thing for me.

*1/2 / ***** (D-)

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:19 am
Profile WWW
now we know

D minus, lol.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This has the best VFX and action of the year. The orcs are good characters. But the plot, world and human characters are set up so fast, it's impossible to follow what's going on. It's maybe entertaining in a Transformers kind of way, but as a fan of fantasy I was quite disappointed.

D

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:58 pm
Superman: The Movie

Show, don't tell.

On second thought, maybe tell a little bit more, especially if this was/is supposed to be the introduction. And what god awful world building.

D

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2