Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Kicking & Screaming 

What grade would you give this film?
A 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
F 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 14

Kicking & Screaming 
College Boy Z

Post Kicking & Screaming
Kicking & Screaming

Quote:
Kicking & Screaming is a 2005 comedy film directed by Jesse Dylan starring Will Ferrell and Robert Duvall. It focuses on the exploits of a boys' soccer team and their new coach.

Last edited by zingy on Wed May 25, 2005 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 12, 2005 5:05 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Can't we even get one review for this movie :-k

or at least one person to admit they have seen it. #-o

Fri May 13, 2005 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

I saw it.. it sucked :( It was not original at all, and Farrell was not that great. Pure kids movie that is not tailored for adults.

Sat May 14, 2005 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
I saw it.. it sucked :( It was not original at all, and Farrell was not that great. Pure kids movie that is not tailored for adults.

No surprise for me as I thought the trailer looked horrible.

Anyway,

I wonder what is would be more interesting?

Watching K&S for 90 minutes

or

Watching your PO-TA-TOES signature for 90 minutes.

Sat May 14, 2005 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

neostorm wrote:

Anyway,

or

LOL, i have no clue.. it's a tough choice... :)

Sat May 14, 2005 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

It was alright. Ferrell was great, Ditka was funny. Too much of a kids movie for me though.

B-

Sat May 14, 2005 10:05 pm
Forum General

Goldie wrote:
neostorm wrote:

Anyway,

or

LOL, i have no clue.. it's a tough choice... :)

Am I the only one that just stares at that sometimes?

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat May 14, 2005 10:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

In the world of competitive team sports, there are many aspects to deal with. You've got your shy, unenthusiastic players who are probably playing because their mom forced them to play. You've got your overly aggressive players, who take the game so seriously, they'll bite you if you get in their way. You've got your soccer mom, who tries to make sure she shows up for every game, and cheer the kid on, even if all he's doing is warming up the bench for the other players. You've got your dads, who are so competitive and eager to see their kid play and become a "man"; they'll run on the field and fight the ref for a miss-call. Finally, you've got the coach. The coach that tries so hard to win a game, but if the team comes up short, he tries to cheer them up with trophies that bring up the spirits of the team, when in reality, it means nothing. It's "the loser" trophy. But, when the coach is the weak, "unsporty" father of a benchwarmer, who is also trying to compete with his own father for the real, winner's trophy, things get personal.

Will Ferrell makes his second attempt at a kid's movie with Kicking and Screaming. He plays Phil Weston, a vitamin store manager/owner that feels the pressures of a child, even at his age. Growing up, he received a lot of heat and was neglected by his overly competitive, sports junky of a father, Buck Weston (played by Robert Duvall). Present day, Phil is a weak, but caring father to his son, Sam. Once Sam is traded to another team by his grandfather, Buck, Phil becomes enraged and decides to take over Sam's new team, The Tigers, in order to compete with his father for the lucrative prize of a Soccer trophy.

This movie was pretty surprising. Being a huge fan of Will Ferrell, I was disappointed that he decided to star in a movie like this beforehand. But, as it turns out, this was probably one of his funniest performances. Will Ferrell was absolutely amazing and hilarious in Kicking and Screaming. Everything about this role was perfect for Will. A weak father who was petrified of his father, who eventually, makes a transformation into a ruthless soccer coach. It’ll have you rolling on the floor throughout the movie. There's a point in the movie where his life and new job as a coach becomes so stressful, Phil turns to coffee to save his life. From drinking "halfcafs" to bringing coffee machines to his soccer games, you'll be spitting out your drink at some of his actions. The coffee-holic's interactions with his dad, Buck, were fun to watch as well. Robert Duvall played his role as the competitive father very well, too. But, who was even better than Duvall was his mortal enemy in the movie; his next door neighbor and former Bears coach, Mike Ditka. His rivalry with Buck was priceless and hilarious.

Another great part about Kicking and Screaming were the kids. Of course, when Phil decides to take over The Tigers, he doesn't know beforehand what he's getting himself into. The team is a mix of a short, adopted Chinese kid to a oaffy, incredibly moronic giant. The best part of the team, though is Byong Sun (also known as Ping Pong by Mike Ditka). Byong Sun was the little, shy Chinese boy, who steals the show with his shyness/cuteness. Seeing such a small little Chinese boy play soccer (and in one scene; do the macarana) was almost too funny for words. With him and Ferrell, this was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

Kicking and Screaming, though, is a play-by-play kid's sports movie. Without giving away the overly predictable ending that anyone can tell from the trailers, it was a little repetitive to see a loser team filled with hopeless soccer players turn into winners. Everything in this movie was pretty much "by-the-book", and exactly what you would expect from watching a commercial. The movie, at times, can also be too childish. There's times where the movie doesn't even fit the description of a kid's movie (like the Chinese boy's lesbian mothers), but that didn't happen very often. It was a 100% kid's movie.

Overall, I found Kicking and Screaming to be a surprisingly enjoyable kid's movie. Unfortunately, it was too childish to be great, but I actually enjoyed something I was forced to see by my little sister. Of course, she loved it, so I would definitely recommend it to all children and parents, though I wouldn't count out teens, as I did enjoy the movie for what it was. Will Ferrell has proven time and time again to be a great comedian and leading man, and this doesn't change that one single bit, but actually, further proves it.

B

Sun May 15, 2005 5:40 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

7/10 ( B )

Sat May 21, 2005 8:24 pm
Profile YIM
Killing With Kindness

B-

entertaining but nothing more

Sun May 22, 2005 1:40 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

I saw it last night on theaters, i didnt know it already open
Anyways....
It was pretty mediocre, not as funny as i thought it will be, definitely not Ferrells Best

Eh! Somewhat enjoyable!

B-/C+

Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:38 pm
Wallflower

A dull and mostly unfunny movie. No wonder it didn't have good legs at the Box Office. I did find it funny though when he bumped stomachs with the one lesbian and knocked her down and then bumped stomachs with her partner and she knocked him down.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:43 pm
Devil's Advocate

Will Ferrell is great, especially when he transforms ruthless and coffee-driven. The part where he pushes the kid down near the end and screams loser at him has got to be one of the funniest comedic moments of the year. Unfortunatly the rest of the movie doesn't hold up that much...

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:30 pm
Superman: The Movie

It's nowhere near being Will Ferrell's best, but it's a nice waste of time.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Shockingly incompetent. Seemingly made by people who have never worked in the movies before. Directing, writing, editing, cinematography, etc. Amateur hour all around. Made me ANGRY.

Also, special credit for casting the worst group of moppets I have ever seen. No easy feat.

The only positive i can think of is that is was slightly better than Monster-In-Law. Not exactly a feather in anyone's cap.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:55 am
You must have big rats

It is certainly a nive film for the kids. I enjoyed most of it, but it really is just for the kids. I laughed once, maybe twice and was somewhat amused for the rest of the film. Will Ferrell is okay and his coffee tick was funny, but other than that it is a run-off-the-mill, by the numbers kiddie sports flick.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

The lowest common denominator in "time wasting". It had a few decent moments, and overall I didn't have a moment of non-laughter for more than a few minutes. However, I wouldn't heartily recommend it, though if you're out of other optinos this isn't THAT bad. C

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:24 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

Funny at times, but who honestly wants to see a half-assed movie about the same story we've seen 3084098 times? One case of where Ferrell's improv doesn't always click (it really doesn't belong in a kid's movie, just doesn't FIT)...But hey, I was entertained, and I laughed enough to give it a B-. It really is a pretty poorly made movie, and I personally think Ditka looked rediculous in this movie, (I mean, the guy's only there because he's MIKE DITKA) ...that's the whole joke about his character. Stupid. Some lines Ferrell comes up with though are just so out there and rediculously dumb they had me chuckling.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:58 pm
Squee

It wasnt brilliant or anything, but it was decent. Some funny moments, some that make sure you know it's a kid's movie. Oh, and Mike Ditka.

:glare:

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:03 pm
All Star Poster

I don't think Will Ferrell can get any worse than that':disgust:'

D-

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:27 am
why so serious?

Honestly, this movie was just HORRIBLE. It wasn't even remotely funny, and any comedic talent Will Ferrell had (which he had a lot of, as evidenced in Elf and Anchorman) was completely absent here. The movie just goes on and on, sinking lower by the second and blowing the possibility of being a crude, mean-spiritedly funny coach-from-hell movie by taking the incredibly cliched kids sports film route where the ending has already been done dozens of times before. Mike Ditka is the only thing that stops the film from being a complete and total failure on every level.

D

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:33 pm
now we know

This film is crap. It is a formulaic Yankee family sports comedy. But ok, perhaps it's funny? It's not. It blows. The odd line or two provides a smile*, but 99% of it is stupid. There's not even any exciting football. Just an Americanized version of what they think it is, called "soccer", which includes pointless pep talks, teams with names like Tigers and Gladiators, and where if you can do a single volley you're apparently fucking Pele. Ferrell's team are at the bottom of a league, but he keeps talking about getting to "the finals". Is it a league or a knockout tournament? The film cannot make up its mind. Written by someone that doesn't have a clue about football. Oh, and it's typical American coaching. Not one tactical or technical idea in sight. Ferrell is more a confidence coach than an actual footballing coach. Fuck this film. No wonder the US is crap at football if this is what they think it is! This has got to be the worst movie Ferrell's made.

*Ferrell telling one of the mum's to ease up on their corduroy jacket was humorous, as well as Ferrell telling Ditka to go to hell and while he's there to grab him a juice box. But the rest of the film is flat.

D

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]