Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Krampus 

What grade would you give this film?
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Krampus 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Krampus
Krampus

Quote:
Krampus is an upcoming 2015 American dark comedy horror film, based upon the Krampus character from Alpine folklore, directed by Michael Dougherty and written by Dougherty, Todd Casey, and Zach Shields. The film stars Adam Scott, Toni Collette, David Koechner, Allison Tolman, Conchata Ferrell, Emjay Anthony, Stefania LaVie Owen, and Krista Stadler. It is scheduled for release on December 4, 2015, by Universal Pictures.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Krampus
An amusing and atmospheric Christmas creature feature turning on a dysfunctional, irascible extended family (played by, among others, Adam Scott, Toni Collette, and Allison Tolman) whose holiday season is upended when they are plunged into a subzero nightmare conjured by Krampus, an anti-Santa Claus who, per German legend, punishes mischievous children. The red-state-blue-state humor and true-spirit-of-Christmas sentimentality are rather pedestrian (not awful, just unspectacular), but the film moves at a rapid clip and includes several powerful images, such as the horned Krampus leaping from rooftop to rooftop or an attic full of his porcelain, predatory henchmen. A fine cast, practical-F/X showmanship, and (Gremlins and a few other titles notwithstanding) the relative novelty of a seasonal horror film elevate Krampus, even if the whole is slightly less than the sum of its parts.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:37 am
New Server, Same X

David, did you see Michael Dougherty's Trick 'R' Treat and if so, what did you think of that?

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:15 pm
Pure Phase

I enjoyed it a lot ( B+ ), particularly the school-bus subplot.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:19 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's a fun time. The best thing I can say about this movie is that it has an incredible sense of atmosphere. The cinematography is gorgeous and Michael Dougherty does a great job keeping things creative and suspenseful. I absolutely loved the stop-motion segment revealing Krampus's interaction with the grandmother - it was awesome and haunting, and easily the best part of the movie. It also benefits from the talented ensemble giving very committed performances despite the camp value of the material. Toni Collette, Alison Tolman, Adam Scott and David Koechner are all great and feel like real people. The movie takes a while to get going with its setup, but the payoffs near the end are certainly there - best being a crazy free-for-all sequence in the attic. It also ends up being rather sweet even though the ending itself is very ominous. I prefer Trick 'R Treat but this is still more than worth seeing. B+

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:33 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

Not quite as great as Trick 'R' Treat, but still lots of fun.

Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I had a good time with this, but I don't think it will ever become a holiday classic like Gremlins or Trick 'R' Treat. The cast is solid and the atmosphere, creature designs/effects are fantastic, but I was surprised by how weak the humor was especially in the first half. It should have been funnier and I also found it a bit disappointing that Krampus himself is only in like three scenes not including the animated segment which is a shame because I loved his look. I understand less is more, but after all that build-up I was hoping for a more satisfying reveal.

Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:07 pm
Hold the door!

Enjoyable romp, but not funny enough to be a memorable comedy, nor scary enough to be a memorable horror flick.

B

Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:31 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I remember liking the build-up for this movie. The ending while decent was too childish.

6/10

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:38 am
The Kramer

After the opening scene I was worried this would turn into a God Bless America "everyone sucks but me" type of film. Very happy to have been wrong and it turned into quite an enjoyable Christmas movie. The very beginning and the finale are soft, but everything from the kid fighting santa denyers to Cookies v Koechner was terrific. A true genre bender, it seamlessly flips between Christmas drama, fantasy, horror and dark comedy. Think Gremlins or Small Soldiers if you're still on the fence.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:25 pm
now we know

What a mess this film is. The only thing that is half-decent with Krampus is his silhouette, which isn't utilized effectively at all. This is a world where parents don't seem to give a shit when their child and babies are taken (sometimes in plain sight). Not scary, not funny, just kind of stupid.

D+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]