Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Ant-Man 

Rate this film.
A 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 7 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16

Ant-Man 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Ant-Man
All of Stan Lee's cameos are stupid.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:02 am
Pure Phase

In general, I agree. They are distracting and played out.

But if I had to choose a favorite, it would be young Matt Murdock saving him in Daredevil.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:08 am
now we know

Ant-Man represents the worst in Marvel. From the unbearably annoying Michael Pena to the constant attempts at forced humour (which apart from a few lines all fall flat), the movie is ridiculous. It is generic moviemaking-101, but it never manages to create excitement or awe or even a chuckle. Paul Rudd is likeable and probably well-cast considering the quips and backchat, but the rest of the TV-level cast are shockingly bland. Even my main man, Michael Douglas, appears bored. But the main culprits are Evangeline Lilly, David Dastmalchian, and Corey Stoll, full to the brim with their brand of crappy acting, that mixed with the irritating performance of Pena, had me praying that the projector would break.

This is just a crappy and forgettable superhero flick. The story is kind of lame, and all references to the Avengers or Hydra seem really forced, as well as the fight between the black-winged Avenger and Ant-Man. Though I did like Corey Stoll's yellow-suited villain, at least in appearance. The film's small scale didn't bother me, but it did not need to also come with a lower quality screenplay, and stupid performances. I suppose I just feel sorry for Paul Rudd being in this crap fest. The way he makes a fingerprint out of super glue or how he breaks the safe with cold liquid were cool, though.

D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Ant-Man, was not a super hero movie I was looking forward to. Was quite disappointed with Age of Ultron, and getting a bit tired from Marvel's overdosing. With Ant-Man, Marvel is playing it pretty safe, it keeps it's comedy bits well around, it's tie-ins with other movies in the universe, and plenty of action. But that last part was quite tame actually, how much damage you can really do as a tiny super hero right? They executed that part well, the switching between big and small was cool to see. The fight with the Mackie's character from Captain America only served as a bit of a set-up for seeing Ant-Man in action for the first time, but it didn't holds up as any significant part of the movie. Much like Iron Man vs Hulk fight in Age of Ultron. Evangeline Lily is nice, but she's just a bland character here, and Douglas is good for what it is, but all he really does is "Scott", "Scott", "Scott. Rudd is pretty much perfect as Ant-Man, can't really imagine anyone else play the role. He has the charm, and is believable as the nifty user of the suit. The movie has some nice tricks going on, but doesn't engage like a Guardians. It's very comparable to the first Captain America movie for me actually. It's has a few good bits, but it's mostly boring. It doesn't do anything new, and I'm not caring much whatever Marvel is coming out soon, because their last 2 movies have left me deflated.

C+

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:22 am
now we know

Hmm, I suppose it was cool the first time we see Ant-Man small (in the bath tub), but it gets really boring really quickly. And the Thomas the Tank Engine scenes are pretty lame (and the joke is repeated) and the huge ant living with the family at the end like a pet dog is just plain silly. If you made a list of all the Marvel films and where their endings took place, Ant-Man's would stand out as the most bizarre (a little girl's bedroom). The term "small-scale" doesn't even begin to describe how inconsequential everything felt, and how low the stakes were, despite being told that they are in fact very high.

I also hated how the film began for Paul Rudd. In prison, playing a punching tradition for leaving. That really felt lame. But the opening scene with a young Douglas wasn't actually too bad.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

About the Stan Lee cameos, in the beginning I thought they were nice easter eggs, but now they're making it all so obvious. Instead of letting him play a tiny character in the movie, they now just especially write him in there as Stan Lee cameo I feel.

Algren wrote:
I also hated how the film began for Paul Rudd. In prison, playing a punching tradition for leaving. That really felt lame. But the opening scene with a young Douglas wasn't actually too bad.

With both of that I totally agree.

And as far as the small-scale goes, I'm OK with that...but I also feel even Marvel didn't take this so serious as a big movie release. I mean, they get the Falcon (Mackie's character), why not just get the Hulk in there. First of all people LOVE the Hulk, and second of all, that would be the ultimate big vs. small fight, but Marvel chickened out or something.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:00 pm
now we know

But small-scale + small character isn't interesting. It's bland. What you need is large-scale + small character, then it becomes fun. The possibilities become endless. With Ant-Man, I never got the sense that everything wouldn't turn out perfectly for all involved. I never got the sense Corey Stoll's character was in charge with his devilish plans. I just felt that Ant-Man was wasting weeks doing stuff and in the meantime Stoll was just waiting with his feet up until the screenplay gave him some crappy dialogue to utter.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Kind of a mixed bag for me, but I'm more positive than negative. It ultimately feels really slight and strangely rushed, but there's an inherent low-key charm to the proceedings. Probably mostly because of Paul Rudd. Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly and Michael Pena are fun too. B-

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:13 pm
Pure Phase

It is a bit of a strangely structured film in the way it transitions from a long, often expository buildup to the Heist and Chase, which first has the feel of a second-act set piece, but is indeed the finale.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:22 pm
On autopilot for the summer

David wrote:
It is a bit of a strangely structured film in the way it transitions from a long, often expository buildup to the Heist and Chase, which first has the feel of a second-act set piece, but is indeed the finale.

Totally, I will absolutely go with that. I was like, wow if they are doing this now we have at least another 45 minutes, and then the movie was done in like 15.

Marvel just continuously surprises and has such likable characters. I could have watched an entire movie of these characters and didn't need to see Ant-Man once.

Baskin Robbins :funny: Best product placement ever!

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:58 pm
Extraordinary

ANTMAN

First, I enjoyed it. I really liked it and how it fit in with the overall universe. A couple things I'll pick on before everything I liked. The intro scene with Pym, Stark and Carter felt like that could have just been a post credit scene but it doesn't seem like any of the recent films could have fit it in since it's so out of place. Second, the whole Falcon bit that is kind of cool in that it leads to his line at the end of the film but it also made Falcon look pretty weak. As for what I did like, I thought the cast was great and I liked the story. Pena was hilarious and I wasn't bothered by TI. I liked seeing that guy from the TDK getting work in a Marvel film. Douglas was good. Evangeline Lilly was great as Hope. I would love to see her and Rudd in a sequel together. I loved her line in the post credit. That was great. It is about damn time for F sake. The visuals were very well done and entertaining. Seeing the stuff go from small to large and large to small was pretty cool. The villain was a bit meh. I think they could have used a bit of time detailing the history between Douglas and that other guy. He certainly exudes villainy but he wasn't fleshed out much. Finally, I loved all of the comedy in the film and Rudd's family dynamic. That was well done.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:01 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I enjoyed it much more than the Avengers movies which were highly overated. Its better than I expected and ranks fourth behind the Marvel movies for me (The two CA movies and GOTG rank higher). I could definately see some Mckay and Edgar Wright touch in the movie but why does make Pena a vato loco stereotype. He did make me laugh. As usual, Marvel has a tendency of not fleshing out their female characters. Corey Stoll looks more manly without the hair piece he wears on the Strain

Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:22 pm
Forum General

It's good, but nothing really new or special. I liked it a bit more than the first solo Thor/CA movies and it might be slightly better than AOU, but without rewatching it a few more times it's hard to tell. I will say that the smaller scale didn't bother me as much as I thought it would and Paul Rudd is pretty much perfectly casted in the role, but the middle portion of this movie stalls way too much and it's kind of crazy that there isn't much actual action until the Falcon fight scene which was cool, but also unnecessary. They really didn't need to incorporate so many references to TA/MCU in this, although I didn't mind the line about why they couldn't call them, but the last minute Hydra stuff towards the end was groan inducing.

Anyways, the rest of the cast is fine and served the purposes well. Michael Pena was amusing, but the jokes surrounding him telling stories started getting old fast. Michael Douglas was good eventhough he didn't have a whole lot to do and Evangeline Lilly wasn't bad either. I'm curious to see what they will do with her in the future Marvel movies as Wasp and if or when we'll get another Ant-Man movie. Corey Stoll was a decent yet forgettable Marvel movie villain, but the Yellowjacket suit was badass and I enjoyed the final battle it had with Pym's suit in the daughters bedroom. Bobby Canavale is once again type casted as a dickhead police officer and Judy Greer leaves even less of an impact here than in JW. I didn't mind T.I. and the guy who was in TDK though, but poor Wood Harris has nothing short of a throwaway role.

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:12 pm
now we know

You will all come down to Earth after a few weeks when you realise that it's just as shit as Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 2.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Algren wrote:
You will all come down to Earth after a few weeks when you realise that it's just as shit as Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 2.

Nothing is as shit as Iron Man 2. Nothing!

Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:41 pm
now we know

Rev wrote:
Algren wrote:

Nothing is as shit as Iron Man 2. Nothing!

Terminator Genisys is.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:

I just saw the Hope punch ant-man in the face part, and was like..aw..funny/ cute..like that part.

It's definitely better than the Dark World, and IM2, that was so forgettable i have trouble placing anything from that movie.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:15 am

Algren is never the voice of reason. No need to respond. He lives on a planet where everyone else would say "What the fuck am I doing here?"

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:23 pm
now we know

Thegun, why are you being such a bitch? This is a review thread. You didn't even attempt to respond about the movie. Talk about movies, not members.

Did you help make Terminator Genisys and Ant-Man or something? You seem like a fan boy that just can't accept any one person not liking your obsession.

Get a fucking life.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:34 pm
Profile WWW

Huh? All I did was disagree with your "shit" POV. Come on guy, give us a hug. Obviously you don't live on another planet. It'd be a lot cooler if you were though

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:38 pm
Devil's Advocate

At one point in Ant-Man Scott Lang asks whether they should call the Avengers to do this mission instead of him. Not only is this film about a superhero who can literally shrink but about a character who’s place in the world is also small. Scott is not a god from Asgard or rich billionaire or super soldier. He is an ex-con down on his luck hoping to spend more time with his daughter and who can’t even keep a job serving ice cream. Ant-Man does what Marvel needs right now by grounding the film down to Earth with a lead character who's living a real life. The film spends a lot of time in Hank Pym’s house with Scott, Hank and Hope training and talking to each other. It’s able to get away with this personal time by building the motivations of its lead characters as real people. Like Scott Hank has made mistakes in his life including estranging his daughter for a long time and not being able to make Corey Stoll’s villain Darren Cross feel appreciated enough to remain sane. Michael Douglas plays the role to perfection and it’s hard to imagine anyone else’s voice as a better fit to be the guy in the superhero’s ear. Evangeline Lilly’s Hope is more than just a hot body with the pain of not feeling loved enough growing up by Hank and still not feeling like she’s trusted enough to be as capable as she is. Scott’s personality with jokes hiding pain, plays against the serious Hank and Hope well. The moments of emotional connection between the characters are worth the build-up. Even in characters like Bobby Cannavale’s Paxton it’s refreshing Ant-Man tries to make him a real person and allows him to come off as probably better dad for Cassie than Scott would be.

Darren Cross is a more effective villain than Marvel has been used to lately. He has human insecurities leading to his personal vendetta against Hank. He is a man who wants to prove he reached his full potential as a genius. Compared to crap like Ronan the Destroyer this is a big step up for Marvel.

The film’s humour feels fresh compared to previous Marvel films. There’s a naturalness to characters like Michael Pena’s stories or the Baskin Robbins scenes thanks to the comedy history of the directors and writers like Reed, Wright and McKay. Paul Rudd’s comic timing remains excellent. For once when a Marvel film makes jokes there isn’t a neon sign flashing in your face that they just pressed the save the world make a joke funny button.

At the same time there’s also a downside to filling the directing and writing staff with comedy experience instead of action experience. Although Scott’s first trip in the Ant-Man suit and Ant-Man fighting falcon are fun, the heist climax is unremarkable as if an action film on autopilot. The climactic fight with the Yellow Jacket comes and goes with a whimper. It feels as if the entire toy train fight scene had already been shown in the marketing. The knowledge this scene was coming also may hurt the heist sequence as you always knew Cross would end up shrinking in the yellow jacket suit to fight Ant-Man and they'd end up near a toy train probably in Cassie's room. Overall the heist and fight afterwards just does not feel epic and just feels like the film is packing less guns than its bigger summer blockbuster counterparts.

Ultimately Ant-Man is a step in the right direction for Marvel by making it about the characters and giving it a heart. In spite of that a lot of it still feels good more than great. But save TDK very few superhero films rate above B+ for me. So I guess this is one of the best ones and especially among the MCU canon.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:09 pm
Keeping it Light

Reading your review makes me appreciate the film a bit more, but at the same time I just can't shake the fact that aside from a few nice scenes, there was a lot of boredom in between, without ever building up any tension.

MCU ranking

Phase 1: B-
Spoiler: show
Iron Man A-
The Incredible Hulk B-
Iron Man 2 C
Thor C+
Captain America: The First Avenger C
The Avengers B+

Phase 2: B-
Spoiler: show
Iron Man 3 B-
Thor: The Dark World C-
Captain America: The Winter Soldier B
Guardians of the Galaxy A-
Avengers: Age of Ultron C+
Ant-Man C+

Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:33 pm
now we know

Captain America: The First Avenger B+
Guardians of the Galaxy B+
The Incredible Hulk B
Iron Man 3 B

Captain America: The Winter Soldier C+
Iron Man C+
Avengers: Age of Ultron C+
The Avengers C+
Thor C-

Iron Man 2 D+
Thor: The Dark World D
Ant-Man D

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

The Dark Shape wrote:
All of Stan Lee's cameos are stupid.

You speak truth and they are a disservice to other creators.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:35 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

This wasn't too bad, in fact, I enjoyed it more than I was expecting. The cast was a lot better than the trailers had conceived to me, the action was decent, and the humor was probably the best in the entire MCU. And as others have said, it's appropriately smaller scale, but you still fits in well with the MCU.

01. Guardians of the Galaxy (A-)
02. The Avengers (A-)
03. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
04. Avengers: Age of Ultron (B+)
05. Thor (B+)
06. Thor: The Dark World (B)
07. Ant-Man (B)
08. Iron Man (B)
09. Captain America: The First Avenger (B-)
10. Iron Man 3 (C+)
11. Iron Man 2 (C+)
12. The Incredible Hulk (C)

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next