Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Jurassic World 

What grade would you give this film?
A 36%  36%  [ 10 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 12 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28

Jurassic World 
Superfreak

Post Re: Jurassic World
David wrote:
This is also a film where I found the product placement prominent to the point of distraction. The camera almost molests the Mercedes logos.

Funny though the movie mocks that. "Pepsisaurus".

Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:40 pm
Pure Phase

Yes, the film believes it can absolve its own sins by referencing them.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:42 pm
now we know

I noticed the brands. Beats by Dre was there. But it didn't ever find it distracting. It's not THAT bad, surely. A D is a pretty horrendous grade to give it. Did you not enjoy anything about it?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

The movie is far from perfect and when you think about it there are some serious flaws like the whole B-movish subplot of weaponizing dinosaurs and the fact that much if it felt like just set-up for a sequel, but I don't see how anyone could call it boring. It's well paced for the most part, although I wish we got to see more of the park attractions in the beginning, but instead it felt like it was rushing to get to the I-REX escape which was still a well done/tense scene IMO. I also noticed Pratt is really reserved here. I was surprised that he didn't quip it up as much as GOTG and that it's actually Jake Johnson that has the best comedic moments in the movie. Pratt is such a likeable character actor though, that he makes the role work eventhough he's basically playing the cliché, former, military tough guy.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:25 pm
Pure Phase

Algren wrote:
I noticed the brands. Beats by Dre was there. But it didn't ever find it distracting. It's not THAT bad, surely. A D is a pretty horrendous grade to give it. Did you not enjoy anything about it?

Not particularly, to be honest. None of the action sequences are very fun.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:43 pm
now we know

I liked the "watch your six!" line actually.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Magnus wrote:
i cant believe I'm gonna say this but everything David has said is absolultely on sight.

Outside some solid funny one-liners and the badass final dino v. dino fight at the end, this movie blows. I have no idea what "sense of wonder" people are referring to. There is no excitement to any of this.

The story sucks. The characters suck. The dinosaurs don't look any cooler or better than the previous films.

It's basically this years Godzilla. It has a few moments that did highly entertainment me but the significant majority of the movie is bland and boring.

Shut up Magnus. This movie was 1000x better than Godzilla. Pratt rallying his badass Raptor buddies and motorcycling through the jungle is fucking awesome. The only line in the entire film that fat fuck military guy had that made sense was when he said "Awesome" to Pratt riding with the raptors. Took the words right out of everybody else's mouths.

Uni's in a prime position to make a more serious sequel - which also takes more advantage of Pratt's talents - now that they've cleaned up with a fun popcorn film.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:20 pm
Pure Phase

I slightly prefer Godzilla because, while bad, it is at least aloof and cold and trusts itself. Jurassic World is so lame and so dutifully eager to please.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:28 pm
Pure Phase

Why does the older brother not want to bang the hot British chaperone assigned to them?

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:33 pm
Extraordinary

This is better than Godzilla but not THAT much better. The love for the first one is what is propelling this one to (strangely high) heights.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:37 pm
Extraordinary

The elaborateness of the babysitter's death is hilarious (out of everyone, for real...) and yet it's one of the most memorable scenes in the film.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:39 pm
now we know

The backlash has begun. The elitist movement has started. They just needed to wait to see the general consensus before picking a side. Some people find solace in being the contrarian.

But yeah, it's not better than Godzilla.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

There is a nerdy, but interesting debate on IMDb whether the British assistant's death is an example of the deserves-to-die-for-minor-transgression trope, a la (recently) cowardly Ioan Gruffudd in San Andreas.

She was always on the phone rather than paying attention to those great, fascinating, perfect children!

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:40 pm
Pure Phase

Algren wrote:
The backlash has begun. The elitist movement has started. They just needed to wait to see the general consensus before picking a side. Some people find solace in being the contrarian.

I just did not see it until today, asshole. ;)

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:41 pm
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:

I saw it and did not like it Thursday night, first page of this thread. :sleeping:

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:42 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

What was the reason for the Raptors switching sides back to Pratt? Besides writer convenience?

Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Caius wrote:
What was the reason for the Raptors switching sides back to Pratt? Besides writer convenience?

Loyalty. They were trained to view Pratt as the alpha.

The only really, really dumb general plot point IMO is how the entire thing takes place over 1 day. A few line tweaks and everything becomes more believable.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:31 pm
Superfreak

Magnus wrote:
lol a few line tweaks. okay bro.

Pretty much...yeah.

Your problem is really with presentation because under a microscope almost every movie is flawed.

Jurassic Park sits in your top 20 of all time, yet the plot is totally reliant on the "spare no expense" owner cheapening out on the only employee who knows the security and computer systems, whose chosen pay date just happens to be the exact night that 1) Hammond has the ultra important lawyer, dino experts, and consultants for a tour, 2) His grand kids are in town, and 3) oh, there is a hurricane incoming. Sound like a massive coincidence?

I don't see any issues with the general JW story that don't exist with the JP story. JW is just more popcorny in it's style. The substance is basically the same. JP made Nedry an exceptionally bumbling idiot for someone supposedly smart enough to design the entire fucking computer and security system for the park. They throw in a line about Lex is a "hacker" earlier in the movie so that when they finally run out of time, they can say she somehow knows how to hack the computer system. Right. The only reason the characters even survived in JP is because the T-Rex just happened to come strolling in, somehow fitting his ENORMOUS frame through that tiny door, at the exact moment the raptors were about to jump.

Jurassic Park's plot relies on just as many absurd coincidences and stretches of the imagination (beyond the obvious "we made dinosaurs from scratch") as Jurassic World's. If anything, you could easily JW does a much better job fleshing out the personalities of dinosaurs than JP where they're just mindless hunting eating machines.

If I can accept all the issues with JP by saying "it's just a movie", I can accept the way Jurassic World plays out. The substance is basically the same. Here they upped the scale & humor. They went full popcorn and in the eyes of most, pulled it off flawlessly.

I have no idea how one can say with a straight face that JP is a top 20 all timer and JW is not a good movie due to substance. That's not an opinion thing. You're really just overlooking flaws in JP while giving them much greater consideration in JW.

People whining there is no "sense of wonder" - no fucking shit. This is the 4th movie. There's no real wonder after the 1st one. That's one of the points this movie wisely mocks.

Last edited by Excel on Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:39 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

publicenemy#1 wrote:
The elaborateness of the babysitter's death is hilarious (out of everyone, for real...) and yet it's one of the most memorable scenes in the film.

I'm sure Katie requested, that if she dies, that her death be at least memorable.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Magnus wrote:
im not even going to start a debate comparing this to Jurassic Park because it isn't even worth having. if you don't think JP is a significantly better movie than JW, stop what you're doing and smack yourself.

It's better directed and has slightly more interesting characters. Other than that? It has the benefit of being the first one. They can't play up the majesty and wonder of dinosaurs in #2 or #3 because that's old news.

Please, go ahead and start the debate. Jurassic Park is flawed as fuck when held any sized microscope. Nobody cares the movie overall just works and that's the case here.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:53 pm
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
im not even going to start a debate comparing this to Jurassic Park because it isn't even worth having. if you don't think JP is a significantly better movie than JW, stop what you're doing and smack yourself.

It is, but then again, it is better than any blockbuster ;)

Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:19 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Jp is the better film because SS understands better than anybody that every movie, even one starring dinosaurs, is REALLY about the humans at it's heart. It has stronger characters in comparison to JW. That is really that it has. Both plots are equally hard to believe.

Blockbuster is too broad of a term. JP is not a decisively better movie than TDK, Gladiator, Jaws, or many other big films. It's certainly up there though.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:34 pm
Superfreak

Magnus wrote:
I love that excel is arguing back and forth with himself

hes winning the argument, too

Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:37 pm
now we know

Caius wrote:

Loyalty. But it was confirmed as the correct choice a few seconds later when the new Rex kills a raptor. But it is basically writer convenience, of which so many films are full of, even so-called masterpieces like The Dark Knight.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Magnus wrote:
i cant believe I'm gonna say this but everything David has said is absolultely on sight.

Outside some solid funny one-liners and the badass final dino v. dino fight at the end, this movie blows. I have no idea what "sense of wonder" people are referring to. There is no excitement to any of this.

The story sucks. The characters suck. The dinosaurs don't look any cooler or better than the previous films.

It's basically this years Godzilla. It has a few moments that did highly entertain me but the significant majority of the movie is bland and boring.

I agree with this.As I stated the plot was generic and just a rehash of all the previous JP movies including bland characters. I can't believe the movie is making so much money. Its basically one of those made for Sci-fi channel tv movies with a big budget

Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next