Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Jurassic World 

What grade would you give this film?
A 36%  36%  [ 10 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 12 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28

Jurassic World 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Jurassic World
Jurassic World

Quote:
Jurassic World is a 2015 American science fiction adventure film directed by Colin Trevorrow. It is the fourth installment in the Jurassic Park film series. The screenplay was co-written by Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, Derek Connolly, and Trevorrow. The film stars Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Vincent D'Onofrio, Ty Simpkins, Nick Robinson, Omar Sy, B. D. Wong, and Irrfan Khan. Wong is the only actor from any of the previous films to appear in Jurassic World.

A fourth film was initially intended to begin production in 2004 for a summer 2005 release, but endured over a decade of "development hell" as scheduled release dates were pushed back several times while the script went through revisions. Steven Spielberg, director of the first two Jurassic Park films, acts as executive producer as he did for the third film. Thomas Tull also acts as an executive producer; his production company, Legendary Pictures, funded approximately 20 percent of the film's budget. The film was produced by Frank Marshall and Patrick Crowley, and is scheduled to be released on June 11, 2015 in European countries and on June 12 in North America, by Universal Pictures.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:36 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Post Re: Jurassic World
I enjoyed it A LOT. It's perfect entertainment and I wasn't bored for a second. They could have done more with Pratt's character though, but that's just a minor complaint.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Riggs wrote:
I enjoyed it A LOT. It's perfect entertainment and I wasn't bored for a second. They could have done more with Pratt's character though, but that's just a minor complaint.

This. It is not a better film than Mad Max, but I had far more fun with it.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Pirates of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl, Transformers, Avengers, and now Jurassic World. The truly great crowd pleasing blockbusters of the 21st century. Universal hit a total fucking grand slam. This movie is absolutely aces.

This is a very easy one to call. This is not as well made of a film as JURASSIC PARK was, but reality is it is the most entertaining film of the franchise and I don't think its arguable. The action is jaw dropping, there is plenty of suspense (though it never truly feels like a horror movie), the main characters are all likable, there is plenty of humor.

Pratt is great in the role, as is Bryce Dallas Howard. I read people giving her character shit - what? She's great. Both kids are excellent too. There is really weak link. Hoskins character is is over the top but that's no big deal and he predictably gets pwned.

The audience I was with cheered out loud and clapped a bunch of times during the movie:

Spoiler: show
-The epic shot of Gray opening the window to reveal Jurassic World with the music running drew applause
-When the owner (somewhat sarcastically) says "we don't need anybody else"
-When Owen unleashed the raptors (this was THUNDEROUS applause)
-When Claire gets the T-Rex
-When the Raptor appears to save the day
-When the monster pwns Idomy
-

The final 10 minutes are on terms of the final battle of Avengers where they pull out all the story story wise and just pull it off flawlessly. The crowd clapped 3 times in a span of 5 minutes.

WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! This probably trumps Avengers and The Dark Knight for overall most awesome experience in a theater. The parts where
Spoiler: show
Owen lets the raptors loose, and the Indominus dies
got thunderous applause and cheering.

Anybody not planning on seeing this in a crowded theater needs to change their plans.

A+.

Absolutely outstanding! Perfect popcorn movie.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:50 am
You are waiting for a train

For a movie that wants to satirize so badly theme-park and corporate consumerism, WORLD either does not how to pull off the satire or the whole enterprise is a giant screw you (leaning towards the former). I was miserable for most of this film's 2+ hour runtime. The script here is lifeless, the world given no sense of weight, wonder or exploration, and action scenes feel visually nondescript while dialogue scenes have a boring indie aesthetic. Pratt does his level best to work a character that just doesn't cater to his goofy, spontaneous strengths as an actor. Howard is stuck with a shrill character who runs around in heels and is told by men what to do--sadly, she's the real lead of the movie, and her own film shows her almost no respect. The addition of the original film's signature character is cloying and particularly sad because this film, narratively and thematically, has nowhere to go besides back to the beginning, to what the screenwriters think audiences like about JURASSIC PARK.

I totally get why people had fun with this and god bless them, but man oh MAN I had a tough time here. And I can stomach dumb action-- Furious 7 is one of my favorites this year. But I never want to see this film again.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:08 am
Superfreak

Gopher wrote:
For a movie that wants to satirize so badly theme-park and corporate consumerism, WORLD either does not how to pull off the satire or the whole enterprise is a giant screw you (leaning towards the former). I was miserable for most of this film's 2+ hour runtime. The script here is lifeless, the world given no sense of weight, wonder or exploration, and action scenes feel visually nondescript while dialogue scenes have a boring indie aesthetic. Pratt does his level best to work a character that just doesn't cater to his goofy, spontaneous strengths as an actor. Howard is stuck with a shrill character who runs around in heels and is told by men what to do--sadly, she's the real lead of the movie, and her own film shows her almost no respect. The addition of the original film's signature character is cloying and particularly sad because this film, narratively and thematically, has nowhere to go besides back to the beginning, to what the screenwriters think audiences like about JURASSIC PARK.

There was a clear decision made at the conceptual level to keep the thought provoking at a minimal (but not non-existent) level and make this an enjoyable popcorn movie.

Even if the bolded is basically true, it doesn't really matter because this movie works perfectly and as a result has essentially bought the studio a second chance at Jurassic Park sequels (after fucking up LOST WORLD and JP 3).

Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:11 am
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

B+

While it's not on the level of the original, Jurassic World is better than The Lost World.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:44 am
Extraordinary

I didn't like it all that much.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:36 am
We had our time together

I actually want to see it again. It was so much fun. I was smiling like an idiot during the first 30 minutes, especially when hearing the classic JP theme. :D

Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

BDH gives one of the best comedic performances in a blockbuster I've seen in years. Her delivery is perfect.

"She's British, they like invented nannies" :funny: :funny:

Riggs wrote:
I actually want to see it again. It was so much fun. I was smiling like an idiot during the first 30 minutes, especially when hearing the classic JP theme. :D

The shot of Gray opening the blinds and the following pan over the park w/ the music got loud applause at my showing. Everybody be like "aweeee yeahhhh".

Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:30 pm
Hold the door!

People keep saying the story is nothing special, the characters are meh for the most part, but DINOS! ACTION! What does this movie have that The Lost World didn't?

Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:30 pm
Superman: The Movie

zwackerm wrote:
People keep saying the story is nothing special, the characters are meh for the most part, but DINOS! ACTION! What does this movie have that The Lost World didn't?

Something you could easily find out by going to see the movie?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
---------

I had a great time, but I'd comfortably put both of the prior sequels ahead of it - mainly since they were better at suspense and effects. This movie seemed deathly afraid of slowing down and building up any tension.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:34 pm
Forum General

I've had time to think about it and all I can say is that I really enjoyed this. It's everything Godzilla should have been last year and that's a fun, fast paced, creature feature. Sure it's trying it's best to live up to JP, but it never really does and what you get is a little more Dino Crisis with JP elements sprinkled throughout and honestly I had no problems with that approach. The first half is kind of rushed, but I loved the music and hearing the classic JP theme again on the bigscreen instantly brought the chills back. All the performances are solid, especially Jake Johnson and Irrfan Khan. Those two stole the show IMO and I was cracking up so hard at the meta humor coming out of Johnson's mouth when nobody else in the theatre was. Pratt and BDH had some pretty amusing back and forth, although I didn't care for the romantic subplot. The kids were just there, but I didn't mind them as the movie went along. Nick Robinson creepily staring at what looked like pre-pubescent girls was pretty weird though. Vincent DO'nofrio is your typical, military, asshole, bad guy, but atleast he seemed to be having fun with the role and his death is pretty damn brutal and speaking of brutal deaths I felt very bad for Katie McGrath's character going out the way she did, because it didn't look pleasant at all.

When it comes to the action it definitely delivered aswell. The Gyrosphere attack was well done and the scene where the I-Rex destroys the ACU team was BADASS and crazy violent. It was a nice addition to this movie as this unstoppable man made beast that was created just to bring in more revenue and I love the conversation between Khan and Wong about the science of what dinosaurs would actually look like if their DNA was pure. I really hope to see Wong have a bigger role in the sequels.

Last edited by Dil on Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:51 pm
Hold the door!

Jmart wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Something you could easily find out by going to see the movie?

Saving for Inside Out and Minions! I quit my job, so I can't go to the movies every week.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:20 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Fun, but wow there is a lot of really bad stupid moments in this as well. On par with my first memories of the sequels, but there is no tension in this film at all. I'm sure this will get worse on repeat viewings over the years too. The attack on the public was straight up awesome, as was anything with the Sea Dino. Pratt and BDH are good and make the best of their pretty one dimensional roles, D'onofrio is atrocious however and the older brother is beyond terrible (Really what kind of ride lets you have complete control and can leave the park, and changing the 23 year old car battery, bleh!), Younger kid from IM3 once again pulls off a very fun performance. And Jake Johnson actually delivers pretty good comic relief. Action is fine, but I mean, it's relatively tame by JP standards. Raptor attack just basically steals the ambush scene in Aliens. The Lost World and part III might be lesser films overall, but their action scenes were pretty fantastic.

"Taking dinosaurs off this island is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas"
"Nope, we're going to use them as US military weapons"

B+ for now.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:22 pm
Forum General

I'd put it above JP3, but below TLW and JP for now. You just can't beat the awesome animatronic special effects of those first two, especially the T-Rex's. Overall the CGI was fine, but good old Rexy was a bit too cartoony looking for my taste, however that final climatic battle was great and more involving/emotional than anything going on at the end of AOU or Furious 7. It also rightfully puts any of the big monster battles in Godzilla 2014 to shame.

Last edited by Dil on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:51 pm
The Kramer

Wow. I'm still so amped from that final scene. I'm so glad the trailers didn't give any of that away. :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

Overall one of the most satisfying theater experiences in my life. The crowd was actually getting annoying with all the applause, but I couldn't blame them, the second half of this movie was an incredible rush. The first half drags a bit, with a very unlikeable teenager, yet Judy Greer, Pratt and BDH are able to keep us entertained through it. And even though I didn't want to spend time with them, the kids help the pacing a lot. They make the chomping that much more exciting.

Major props to Colin Trevorrow for making the transition so smoothly. Major props to everyone involved. This deserves the ridiculous amount of money it is going to make.

Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:07 am
Forum General

That last shot of Rexy roaring on the Helipad and the Dilo hologram was pure AWESOMENESS. I liked most of the nods to JP, although I wish we got to see more of the old VC and the Restricted Area. The kids using the Wrangler Jeep to escape was a nice and unexpected touch though.

Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:17 am
Forum General

I thought it was a fucking blast. I didn't find any pacing issues like some did and I actually found the set up to be perfect. The finale was amazing too and Chris Pratt and BDH were both great too. Sure it was kind of stupid and some of the CGI was kind of bad but it was a ton of fun. I'd put it on par with The Lost World, which I have always found to be incredibly underrated.

B+

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:19 am
Profile YIM WWW
Devil's Advocate

This is great. I thought the action scenes were directed exceptionally. Almost everything the dinosaurs did had a purpose in the scene. It wasn't throwing CGI in our face for the sake of it. This was a lean, tight blockbuster. Most of the death scenes stood out even for red shirts who had no lines. This is a lean, tight blockbuster.

I liked the slow beginning in terms of revealing the dinos to us and giving the kids, BDH, Pratt time to set up the plot. Jake Johnson and the billionaire owner Indian guy were good supporting characters bringing comic relief. Pratt could have had more character development but the "connected to animals" personality gave him some depth, as did BDH's workaholic/emotionally closed off role. She did a really good job playing off the other cast members was hot. To be honest though I thought she was Jessica Chastain the entire movie and up until I opened this thread and read some of the other posts.

Last edited by Shack on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:55 am
Extraordinary

It's the best Jurassic Park sequel, though that's a low bar. A couple genuinely great sequences held back by Vincent D'Onofrio's absolutely terrible subplot. (And it's a good thing all it took to turn frigid Bryce Dallas Howard's character around was the support of a good man!)

It's the only sequel in the series to have any sense of wonder to it, and it manages to end well.

B

zwackerm wrote:

A pulse. A director who was interested in the material.

Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:56 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was so, so entertaining and such a blast. It's not perfect but I had such a great time. It really made me feel like a kid again. Both Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard were great (especially the latter) and the action sequences were creative and intense. I was actually surprised at how little was spoiled by the trailer as I was sure the actual invasion of the park would be the climax. I see this easily having the best word of mouth of the summer. Highly recommended. Also Jake Johnson. STOLE. THE. SHOW. Love him and hope he comes back for the next one. A-

Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:22 am
Profile YIM
On autopilot for the summer

Totally, I like him but never found him more than "hey" funny but Pratt knocking but shit down and " someone has to stay behind"!scenes are hilarious. His glasses made me say thin Wayne night. But D'onofrio is downright th worst subplot in the history of blockbusters. People cheered when he died obviously but I like film dicks to have something to them. His wolf story (development) is hands down the worst part of any JP film

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:45 am
100% That Bitch

B+!!!!!!!!!!

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next