Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Jurassic World 

What grade would you give this film?
A 36%  36%  [ 10 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 12 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28

Jurassic World 
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Jurassic World
Massive! They say he's the worse after RDJ in the 90s. But he had a very strong agent to get George of the jungle and turned it into getting Mummy, which if didn't explode, he would have been done. You had that Dudley do right film, that terrible monkeybone and bedazzled, and looney tunes.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:23 am
The French Dutch Boy

Hell yeah! Super entertaining, awesome dino action. The movie was very well-paced and gave me a huge rush. As soon as the I-Rex escapes, the tension is there. The action is clean and coherent, and I give credit to Trevorrow for this. The final 20-30 minutes of the movie are terrific. The dinosaurs shine. Bryce Dallas Howard is great (no surprise - she consistently impresses me, and she is a super sexy redhead in this movie). All of the nods to the original film made me a happy, happy fanboy. Did you notice them all? It was so cool every time there was one.

I don’t like everything about the script, the movie is flawed, etc etc, but as a piece of entertainment, this is what I want. My biggest general quip would be that I would have preferred a larger horror element to the film - I didn’t find Jurassic World to be as scary as the original. There were plot elements I didn't like, contrivances, etc. And there were also some really friggin' cool moments.

I have to agree with Excel when he says that if you’re going to take the time to quip about the coincidences/contrivances in this film, while ignoring them in Jurassic Park, then I think you’re being a bit disingenuous. The original is a friggin’ classic and awesome entertainment as well, but it’s also full of those contrivances, coincidences, etc. Here are just some examples, along with the big ones Excel mentioned:

http://www.vice.com/read/there-is-so-mu ... assic-park
http://movieplotholes.com/jurassic-park.html
http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/feature/thi ... t-time.php

The point is, I don’t really care about these kinds of issues in films like this. I fucking love Jurassic Park, and it’s obviously a classic and the best film in the series. And you’re never going to be able to re-create the awe and wonder of the original, especially when Spielberg is a master of heart and wonder (as is evident across many of his earlier films). For me, Jurassic World re-created some of that wonder, but importantly, was highly entertaining. I plan to see it a second time later this week.

Peace,
Mike

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:45 am
The French Dutch Boy

Oh yeah, and SO awesome to hear the Jurassic Park theme in the theatre again. As we all already knew, John Williams is a master.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:50 am
Superfreak

MikeQ. wrote:
Hell yeah! Super entertaining, awesome dino action. The movie was very well-paced and gave me a huge rush. As soon as the I-Rex escapes, the tension is there. The action is clean and coherent, and I give credit to Trevorrow for this. The final 20-30 minutes of the movie are terrific. The dinosaurs shine. Bryce Dallas Howard is great (no surprise - she consistently impresses me, and she is a super sexy redhead in this movie). All of the nods to the original film made me a happy, happy fanboy. Did you notice them all? It was so cool every time there was one.

I don’t like everything about the script, the movie is flawed, etc etc, but as a piece of entertainment, this is what I want. My biggest general quip would be that I would have preferred a larger horror element to the film - I didn’t find Jurassic World to be as scary as the original. There were plot elements I didn't like, contrivances, etc. And there were also some really friggin' cool moments.

I have to agree with Excel when he says that if you’re going to take the time to quip about the coincidences/contrivances in this film, while ignoring them in Jurassic Park, then I think you’re being a bit disingenuous. The original is a friggin’ classic and awesome entertainment as well, but it’s also full of those contrivances, coincidences, etc. Here are just some examples, along with the big ones Excel mentioned:

http://www.vice.com/read/there-is-so-mu ... assic-park
http://movieplotholes.com/jurassic-park.html
http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/feature/thi ... t-time.php

The point is, I don’t really care about these kinds of issues in films like this. I fucking love Jurassic Park, and it’s obviously a classic and the best film in the series. And you’re never going to be able to re-create the awe and wonder of the original, especially when Spielberg is a master of heart and wonder (as is evident across many of his earlier films). For me, Jurassic World re-created some of that wonder, but importantly, was highly entertaining. I plan to see it a second time later this week.

Peace,
Mike

:funny: :funny: :funny:

Those links are gold.

Always wondered why tom was just sitting there next to lex while the adults struggled with the door - he clearly could have just handed them the gun.

And of course hammond spares no expense.....except when it comes to the only security guy, who he stiffs and causes him to steal the dino embroyos! :funny:

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:59 am

IRex teleports more than Jason in Jason takes Manhattan.

using the first film to justify a film 22 years later is weak. first cannot be touched. For every plot hole in JP there are 10 for JW. End of story

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:31 am
Superfreak

Thegun wrote:

using the first film to justify a film 22 years later is weak. first cannot be touched. For every plot hole in JP there are 10 for JW. End of story

Not the end of story because it isn't true. They're very similar.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:01 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Thegun wrote:

:roll:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:15 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Your scaling is stupid. IMO.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:35 am
Superfreak

Gamaur wrote:
Opinions are like assholes and it's stupid to argue against another person's perception, because you know, they're not you. But at the same time I have to wonder about the sheer number of A's and B+'s this is getting from a bunch of fellow movie nerds. The 70% rating it scored on rottentomatoes is bang on the money if you ask me - typical of crowd pleasers without much depth or style.

What I mean is, a B+ is only one deviation from a perfect A+ movie, which is surely what most would consider to be a masterpiece. Maybe I'm just anal, but I try to scale everything between a complete piece of shit and something flawless and outstanding. How the hell can Jurassic World be judged as being so close to films like the Godfather or even the original Jurassic Park? I know a lot of people were less critical than me but that's not the point I'm making, it's that a huge chunk of us seem to be going "Holy shit that was entertaining! B+!" without considering the fact it renders top ratings much less meaningful.

Same thing applies if you rank based on entertainment value or filmmaking technicalities. Scale is important if you're trying to show where a movie fits in with your top films. Maybe you all did really love it that much, but having just watched it I'm struggling to see how it's anywhere close to the first Jurassic Park.

You either like a film, it's story, it;s characters, or whatever, or you don't.

I just don't think it makes much sense to hate on a film for the same reasons you overlook for other films, that's all. That means the issue is moreso with the film style, not substance.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:52 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Not all grades are equal. Maybe on your stupid rating scale, but not on mine.

If I gave Jurassic Park an A+ and Jurassic World an A that doesn't mean Jurassic Park is only slightly better than Jurassic World.

If Stephen Hawking got a 100%, A+, on his science paper, and I got a 95%, A, on mine, does that mean that Stephen Hawking is only slightly smarter than me?

No. Because that's stupid.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:56 am

Excel wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Not the end of story because it isn't true. They're very similar.

Sure, I have 2 minutes: Off the top of my head. PS, I still give it a B. A good time in theaters, but that's it.

1. When did Chris Pratt go back to his shitty trailer to get and fix his motorcycle for the Raptor Scene
2. Why isn't Pratt killed in the first encounter if the I-Rex is part Raptor (Where laying still and smelling like gas wouldn't matter) Because the Rex only shows an element of another animal for surprise purposes then completely discarded in the next.
3. Why exactly is it killing for sport? Raptors don't, T-Rex doesn't, bullfrogs don't, chameleon's don't. was there a "we added 19th century British lord's DNA to it" on the cutting room floor.
4. They say raptors can run up to 40mph, in the first film they clearly said 50-60 mph. Just lazy research.
5. What theme park in the world, let alone one with dinosaurs, would design a ride where A. They don't even check your seat belts. B. you have complete control and take it wherever you want, including out of the park.
6. What kind of an idiot would go down a clearly broken/ recently attacked fence. Plus shouldn't there be a warning signal for someone in the park that there is a major security breach.
7. I-Rex breaks that fence and isn't electrocuted? How does that work, when he is clearly effected by the electrical fence at the end of the film. And it goes back in to hide. It's ninja like attitude is ridiculous.
8. Raptors being used as military weapons is a major plot point! Times infinity awful.
9. Car batteries don't work 22 years later especially if they have been laying in the jungle the entire time. (That's the Bryan Cranston finds his floppy discs perfect Godzilla writing there)
10. Older brother has a gorgeous, seemingly head over heels in love with him girlfriend, and all he does for half the film is creepily stare at women. Not really a plot hole, just uncomfortable to watch.
11. Who grabs margaritas when you're being attacked by Dinosaurs? A boss that's who. One of the most intentionally stupid laughs in a while.
12. I-Rex (genetically altered super dino) couldn't do what it took the Spinosaurus 20 seconds to do in the 3rd film.
13. Vincent grinning over mass killings. Jesus we get it you're not a protagonist. You're idea is still stupid as shit.
14. Vincent telling a raptor "I'm on your side" What side is that?
15. Why are there only 8 security members in case of a containment issue and no helicopter pilots? They needed to spare some expenses.
16. Seriously I-Rex has all these different animals and it's reveal is more than disappointing. Couldn't we let it jump like a frog or even have a tongue like a frog. Have some fun with it, the one scene like the Camouflage is super cool. Totally dropped the ball on the genetically altered effects.
17. Instead of 2 workers in the first SLJ and Wayne Knight, we have two workers in addition to BDH and the owner. Jee Whiz they really fixed that plot hole. At least they had a boss security guy that was more intimidating with his knee high socks than the bull shit security team here.
18. What does working in the Navy have to do with being able to train raptors from birth?
19. The owner wishes to avoid Hammond's mistakes at all costs, yet is completely out of the loop on everything. "Show me my new dinosaur!"
20. Did the parents not get divorced in the end? And how did they get there the next day. I'm pretty sure flights to a place where escaped flying monsters would be grounded a while.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:02 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

1. The time between when they figured out the plan and night time, when they executed the plan.
2. The gas solved that situation. He doesn't smell like prey. Are you dumb?
3. Because it was kept in captivity and it's trying to display dominance.
4. Because science can be wrong sometimes? These are different raptors.
5. I'm sure they had provisions on the vehicles. But ya'know, with the evacuation and all, they weren't in place.
6. A curious idiot?
7. Because sometimes electrical fences don't work on dinosaurs.
8. This isn't a plot hole. It's a gripe. Get over it.
9. So?
10. Because he wasn't in love with her? And he's a fucking TEENAGER. That's what they do.
11. That was a purposeful laugh. And completely realistic. Because people are stupid. See #6
12. It's not a Spinosaurus
13. Yes. He's an idiot. Good job catching that plot point.
14. The raptor's side?
15. Poor planning. Not really an expense issue. How many should they have hired? 50? 100? You're not expecting to use them due to sparing no expense in containment.
16. :|
17. I don't even know what you're complaining about here. They had a whole building full of security monitors.
18. Extensive training? Who knows. Why does that matter? Would you have liked them to get Cesar Millan?
19. One does not have to do with the other. He can't be there all the time.
20. Why does that matter? Yeah, they're probably still getting divorced. The flying monsters were neutralized. They for sure weren't still on the island. Or were at least to a place where people could get to it.

There you go.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:14 pm
Superfreak

Quote:
1. When did Chris Pratt go back to his shitty trailer to get and fix his motorcycle for the Raptor Scene

He probably went before they let the Raptors out. Couldn't have been much of a commute.

Quote:
2. Why isn't Pratt killed in the first encounter if the I-Rex is part Raptor (Where laying still and smelling like gas wouldn't matter) Because the Rex only shows an element of another animal for surprise purposes then completely discarded in the next.

The animal couldn't see or smell him, pretty straight forward there.

Quote:
3. Why exactly is it killing for sport? Raptors don't, T-Rex doesn't, bullfrogs don't, chameleon's don't. was there a "we added 19th century British lord's DNA to it" on the cutting room floor.

It's established it's moreso about the I-Rex not knowing it's place and attacking outof fear.

Quote:
4. They say raptors can run up to 40mph, in the first film they clearly said 50-60 mph. Just lazy research.

The first film was off. The size of their raptors was also greatly exaggerated.

Quote:
5. What theme park in the world, let alone one with dinosaurs, would design a ride where A. They don't even check your seat belts. B. you have complete control and take it wherever you want, including out of the park.

They only go out with the peaceful dino's. That's like asking why the Jurassic Park cars didn't have locking mechanisms.

Quote:
6. What kind of an idiot would go down a clearly broken/ recently attacked fence. Plus shouldn't there be a warning signal for someone in the park that there is a major security breach.

The Brother is clearly wreckless. It's no different than asking what idiot would shut down all Park security during a hurricane.

Quote:
7. I-Rex breaks that fence and isn't electrocuted? How does that work, when he is clearly effected by the electrical fence at the end of the film. And it goes back in to hide. It's ninja like attitude is ridiculous.

Good question, though no worse than any of the other JP issues brought up.

Quote:
Raptors being used as military weapons is a major plot point! Times infinity awful.

That's just your opinion. The idea of training raptors for other interests isn't awful, it's pretty predictable IMO.

Quote:
9. Car batteries don't work 22 years later especially if they have been laying in the jungle the entire time. (That's the Bryan Cranston finds his floppy discs perfect Godzilla writing there)

That's more likely than the 32 foot T-Rex strolling through a 12 foot tall door at just the right moment, unnoticed by anybody though earlier his mere step shook the Earth...

Quote:
10. Older brother has a gorgeous, seemingly head over heels in love with him girlfriend, and all he does for half the film is creepily stare at women. Not really a plot hole, just uncomfortable to watch.

No more uncomfortable than Malcolm was for half his lines.

Quote:
11. Who grabs margaritas when you're being attacked by Dinosaurs? A boss that's who. One of the most intentionally stupid laughs in a while.

Almost as funny as the entire building falling apart leaving only Genaro sitting on the shitter.

Quote:
12. I-Rex (genetically altered super dino) couldn't do what it took the Spinosaurus 20 seconds to do in the 3rd film.

Because the 3rd film was terrible and JW wisely ignored it.

Quote:
13. Vincent grinning over mass killings. Jesus we get it you're not a protagonist. You're idea is still stupid as shit.

His character was no worse than Nedry in the first one, who was the most bumbling idiot of a computer genius in history.

Quote:
14. Vincent telling a raptor "I'm on your side" What side is that?

Again, no worse than Nedry's back and fourth with his Delophasourus.

Quote:
15. Why are there only 8 security members in case of a containment issue and no helicopter pilots? They needed to spare some expenses.

Why did JP only have 1 security guard (Muldoon) and one computer security guy - and why was the only person who ran park computers and security the only time Hammond decided to be cheap ??

Quote:
16. Seriously I-Rex has all these different animals and it's reveal is more than disappointing. Couldn't we let it jump like a frog or even have a tongue like a frog. Have some fun with it, the one scene like the Camouflage is super cool. Totally dropped the ball on the genetically altered effects.

I had no issue with it's usage.

Quote:
17. Instead of 2 workers in the first SLJ and Wayne Knight, we have two workers in addition to BDH and the owner. Jee Whiz they really fixed that plot hole. At least they had a boss security guy that was more intimidating with his knee high socks than the bull shit security team here.

Because the boss security guard really worked out.

Quote:
18. What does working in the Navy have to do with being able to train raptors from birth?

They obviously wanted a military background...

Quote:
19. The owner wishes to avoid Hammond's mistakes at all costs, yet is completely out of the loop on everything. "Show me my new dinosaur!"

What? The owner has systems in place Hammond never dreamed of.

Quote:
20. Did the parents not get divorced in the end? And how did they get there the next day. I'm pretty sure flights to a place where escaped flying monsters would be grounded a while.

You don't know what day it is and who cares if they get divorced?

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:23 pm
Superfreak

The only REAL, TRUE legit gripe is WHY THE FUCK would Pratt and co. go into the fucking Cage? Claire calls control once she is driving away - why wouldn't she just call them from the viewing room before they went into the cage to make sure the obvious claw marks were, in fact, claw marks...? Her leaving while they enter the cage makes no sense. Surely they could have thought of a better way to make the thing escape.

But, that is like asking why Nedry waits until Hammond and all his pals are on the island & there's a hurricane going on to steal the embryos - wouldn't it have been much easier to do it under normal weather on one of the many days Hammond and co. likely aren't around? Nedry designed the fucking system - how fucking difficult can it be to circumvent for 20 minutes?!

Seriously Jurassic Park's disaster relies on such a string of absurd, out of character decisions and coincidences yet nobody cares. The movie rocks and is perfect in most regards, but the point still true.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:28 pm

PS, those are some really shitty parents. They don't tell the kids their getting divorced (One finds out on his own) and are secretly doing it while their on vacation with an emotionless aunt they haven't seen in 7 years. Even by Spielberg standards that's some rough parenting.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:31 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I mean, that's not really a plot hole. That's just a flustered park administrator making a delayed decision. I had no problem with them going into the cage.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:33 pm
Superfreak

Thegun wrote:

PS, those are some really shitty parents. They don't tell the kids their getting divorced (One finds out on his own) and are secretly doing it while their on vacation with an emotionless aunt they haven't seen in 7 years. Even by Spielberg standards that's some rough parenting.

Eh no worse parents than Hammond was a responsible grandfather.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:33 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Thegun wrote:

Aww! Someone is pissed his arguments sucked dick.

Also, that's how some parents are.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:34 pm
Superfreak

Chippy wrote:
I mean, that's not really a plot hole. That's just a flustered park administrator making a delayed decision. I had no problem with them going into the cage.

It's an out of character point the plot relies on heavily to progress. If they could track it from the control room, thats the first place she would have called ASAP.

The only diff. between this film and JP and is JW is an obvious satire while JP played it straight. To some that highlights JW's faults while masking JP's. Pretty simple.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:34 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I mean, if your genetically engineered super dino looks like it's broken out, you'd probably freak out first and then call security. Not vice versa.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:38 pm

Chippy wrote:
Thegun wrote:

You guys didn't answer a single one of those questions. Just because you can compare or try to fill in a gap doesn't mean they still aren't holes. And lol at comparing Nedry. His Anton Chigur grounded in reality motive wise compared to D'onofrio :whistle:

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Last edited by Thegun on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:38 pm
Superfreak

Thegun wrote:
Chippy wrote:
Thegun wrote:

You guys didn't answer a single one of those questions. Just because you can compare or try to fill in a gap doesn't mean they still aren't holes. :whistle:

Yes we did and nobody is denying the movie has holes. It's about engineered dinosaurs.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Nope, you're wrong sir.

But good job at least knowing what the film is about.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:42 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Gamaur wrote:
Chippy wrote:
Not all grades are equal. Maybe on your stupid rating scale, but not on mine.

If I gave Jurassic Park an A+ and Jurassic World an A that doesn't mean Jurassic Park is only slightly better than Jurassic World.

If Stephen Hawking got a 100%, A+, on his science paper, and I got a 95%, A, on mine, does that mean that Stephen Hawking is only slightly smarter than me?

No. Because that's stupid.

I get where you're coming from, and it's exactly what I'm talking about. You want to give this an A, so you give it an A and then claim an A+ to be potentially a lot better than an A rating, relatively speaking, than the difference between any other rating. In your system an A+ might be insanely better than an A, yet an A is only so much better than a B, yeah?

The Hawking example would be a better parallel for something else. In a science paper the rating is accurately measurable based on answers provided whereas his intelligence is an entirely separate concept to the rating. When we rate movies it's us that determine the scale, not an exam board.

To explain what I mean using your analogy, when we rank movies we can set Stephen Hawking and Isaac Newton as being A+ examples, and then rank you as an F.

The reason it can be helpful is that it makes it way more special when you give something a high rating, and that's simply a lot more interesting. Otherwise you'd need to go "it's an A+ but it's a super mega strong one"

I determine my scale as being an A is an A and an A+ is an A+. They have no bearing on each other. Every A film is different. Every A+ film is different.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:43 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Thegun wrote:
Chippy wrote:
Thegun wrote:

You guys didn't answer a single one of those questions. Just because you can compare or try to fill in a gap doesn't mean they still aren't holes. And lol at comparing Nedry. His Anton Chigur grounded in reality motive wise compared to D'onofrio :whistle:

I answered every idiotic question you had.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next