Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Fading Gigolo 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Fading Gigolo 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Fading Gigolo
Fading Gigolo

Quote:
Fading Gigolo is a 2013 American film directed, written by and starring John Turturro, co-starring Woody Allen, Sharon Stone, Sofia Vergara, Vanessa Paradis, and Liev Schreiber. It was screened in the Special Presentation section at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival.

Mon May 05, 2014 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Fading Gigolo
A rather clunky movie unfortunately. It felt like Turturro was trying to make a Woody Allen film, but failed to have any poignancy in the script/story.

Mon May 05, 2014 12:02 pm
loyalfromlondon

for people who think woody allen isn't quite narcissistic enough

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed May 14, 2014 1:22 pm
Extraordinary

Fading Gigolo is a most pleasantly unexpected low-key offbeat rom-com.

Woody Allen is in fine form, as good as ever - - watching him perform, it's hard to believe he's almost 80!

John Turturro nails both his roles here, as the lead and director, and Vanessa Paradis is unquestionably the sexiest Hasidic widow this side of Minsk. The other three supporting roles are also aced by Sharon Stone, Sofia Vergara. and Liev Schreiber.

If you're looking for an antic laugh riot, look elsewhere - - but if you're in the mood for a gentle comedy that rings true, look to Fading Gigolo for a good time.

8 out of 5.

Sat May 24, 2014 2:21 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

The script obviously could use some work but Turturro and Paradis work so well together on screen that faults in their interactions can be overlooked at times. This film just made me realize how much I missed Turturro in films actually acting instead of performing off-balance like in the Transformers sequels.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Needed more Allen. Actually I would've liked to see the movie from his point of view. Little nebbishy bookstore owner suddenly becomes pimp. I'd see that movie.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:48 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Not hugely unpleasant in any loud or vulgar way, but very...goofy and minor, let's say. And a bit self-inflating on the part of writer, director, and star John Turturro, no? What with various beautiful and powerful women paying his character thousands of dollars for sex because he is such a manly man's man of a man who can be a man. Far and away the most intriguing part is Vanessa Paradis' touching performance as a long-grieving Jewish widow. She is an under-utilized actress with a hypnotic face, and her pensive, romantic scenes with Turturro are the film's most interesting and least contrived.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:03 pm
now we know

I was surprised to see that this was written and directed by John Turturro. I put this on fully thinking this was a Woody Allen film. And I got a Woody Allen film. Good imitation by Turturro, or perhaps he was just profoundly influenced by sharing a set with the legendary filmmaker. Anyway, I enjoyed this. Allen is fantastic, but unfortunately just a supporting character.

B

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]