Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Thor: The Dark World 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
B 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
C 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 23

Thor: The Dark World 
Pure Phase

Post Re: Thor: The Dark World
This is the eighth film in the series of intertwining action spectacles known as the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is the third film to feature Marvel's version of Thor, the god of thunder of Scandinavian mythology. And it is the second film in the second cycle of the aforementioned Cinematic Universe, a cycle bridging last year's The Avengers and its follow-up, set for release in 2015. So many numbers! Which is indicative of why the film itself, directed by Alan Taylor, is at best a pleasant mediocrity. It is short on invention and wit because it is aware its only purpose is to ensure the overall franchise machine continues onward, so it toes the line, teases future releases, and tries its best to divert audiences as it goes in one ear and exits the other shortly thereafter.

Despite more time spent in Asgard itself versus on earth, the place is still not a source of true wonder, resembling instead recycled sets from Hercules: The Legendary Journeys given a computer-generated sprucing, and the film is obviously bored with itself as it unfolds a convoluted and uninteresting storyline focused on ancient elves eager to obliterate the universe with "the Aether" (supernatural goo). The elves' surly leader, played by the talented Christopher Eccleston as if sedated and constipated, is without a doubt the least imposing and memorable antagonist of this loose franchise to date, and this is no minor achievement. Behind the camera, Taylor brings a certain level of nerd credibility to the table because he has directed several episodes of the beloved HBO fantasy hit Game of Thrones, but not much else. The action sequences he crafts are functional and, of course, loud, but almost never generate quantifiable suspense.

The pleasures to be found here are the same as the first film, which was also a neither-here-nor-there experience in general: placing the godly Thor, so beautiful and blond and regal and tall, in modern contexts (in a small sedan, on the London Underground) still results in moments of brief, but potent amusement, and the invaluable Tom Hiddleston as Loki, god of mischief and destruction, steals his every scene and registers as the only extraordinary component of the entire Thor saga to date. As sexy as he is creepy and an established fan favorite, his ambiguities, charms, and resentments are riveting to the point many may wish the film were his story rather than his adopted brother's, myself included.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:01 pm
Pure Phase

Jaimie Alexander is gorgeous indeed. And completely wasted here. ;) The film spends at least a few minutes early on indicating there might be a love triangle between she, Thor, and Natalie Portman's Jane, then forgets it ever bothered during the second and third acts. I can hardly remember what she is even up to near the end.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:05 pm
Pure Phase

As for Arthur's comparison of Benicio Del Toro's Collector to Will Ferrell in Zoolander, I can see it, but I believe even more he is trying to ape Javier Bardem's performance in Skyfall. I am a big fan of Del Toro, but I fear this will not turn out well for him.

The mid-credits scene is bad. Even beyond any gaps in logic, it is downright ugly, as if they rapidly built a gay space nightclub out of cardboard on the stage of a local dinner theatre, dipped Del Toro's head in peroxide, and said action.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:19 pm
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
The mid credits scene makes no sense. Why would Loki give up the artifact to the Collector? Makes no god damn sense.

Collector works for Thanos. Loki worked for Thanos in THE AVENGERS.

I haven't seen THE DARK WORLD and probably won't until next week, but that makes sense-ish to me with what I know of the plot.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:24 pm
Pure Phase

Why does Loki want the throne so badly? Odin's life seems dull.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:20 pm
Extraordinary

Wow. This has to be the worst offering from the Avenger saga.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:35 pm
Pure Phase

It is the worst. Captain America: The First Avenger is the best.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:44 pm
Extraordinary

It's such a bummer though, Thor has always been my favorite Avenger, and I really liked the first one. There are legitimately two scenes I enjoyed (Loki as CA and the Thor and Loki illusion)

I'm not that big a fan of the first Captain America film but I hope WS is at least a little bit more enjoyable than this. I can't believe how much I dozed off. The whole Elf villain thing was so zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 pm
Pure Phase

"Dark elves." So embarrassing. ;) The Remains of the Day and The Silence of the Lambs sure were a long time ago.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:14 pm
Extraordinary

David wrote:
It is the worst. Captain America: The First Avenger is the best.

This makes me sad because I agree about CAPTAIN AMERICA and I was looking forward to THOR 2.

I have a hard time believing this is worse than IRON MAN 2, a film where just about everything doesn't work.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:40 pm
Pure Phase

Oh, shit. I forgot Iron Man 2. ;) Which is still the worst, yes. Thor: The Dark World is the second worst then. Iron Man 2 is painful and infuriating. This is just dull and lazy.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:42 pm
Ocarina of Time

Magnus wrote:

Seriously.

:drop: oh my God, that's Wonder Woman :ninja: PRETTYPRETTYPRETTYPRETTYPRETTYPRETTYPRETTYPRETTYPRETTY

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:35 am
Ocarina of Time

publicenemy#1 wrote:
It's such a bummer though, Thor has always been my favorite Avenger, and I really liked the first one. There are legitimately two scenes I enjoyed (Loki as CA and the Thor and Loki illusion)

I'm not that big a fan of the first Captain America film but I hope WS is at least a little bit more enjoyable than this. I can't believe how much I dozed off. The whole Elf villain thing was so zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You summed up my review about the film and my exactly thoughts towards the first movie

2. Rebel Moon
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
10. Blue Beetle

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:47 am
now we know

Brian wrote:
Magnus wrote:

Seriously.

:drop: oh my God, that's Wonder Woman :ninja: PRETTYPRETTYPRETTYPRETTYPRETTYPRETTYPRETTYPRETTYPRETTY

But no breasts. Literally nothing. Most men have more than that.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:47 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

What are you guys on?? Mid credits scene aside, this was a load of fun. Maybe my expectations were rock bottom after reading this thread but it delivered in action, spectacle, humour - what a Thor film should be.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:53 am
You must have big rats

MadGez wrote:
What are you guys on?? Mid credits scene aside, this was a load of fun. Maybe my expectations were rock bottom after reading this thread but it delivered in action, spectacle, humour - what a Thor film should be.

I completely agree. Liked it more than Iron Man 3 or the first Thor. *highfive*

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Dr. Lecter wrote:
MadGez wrote:

I completely agree. Liked it more than Iron Man 3 or the first Thor. *highfive*

*highfive* :thumbsup:

I did too. And I'm one of the few that seems to like IM3.

Hopefully this one has decent legs!

Oh and yes I also thought of Zoolander crossed with the Star Wars alien bar scene during the mid credits scene lol

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:58 am
The Wall

Both credits scenes suck and are pointless pretty much. Especially the second one. You don't let people wait a couple of minutes for a kiss and a 4 second view of monster trying to catch the birds. And the first scene is supposed to be something like OMG when he says "One down, five to go." but I felt like I didn't give any fuck about what he was talking about. And someone already mentioned that the set looked awful. Like something from a cheap SyFy show.

That being said I always thought Thor & CA were the most fun Marvel movies. IM series are overrated and just get worse and more laughable with each new one.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I'm with MadGez on this one. It's not anything special, but I still had fun with it. Slightly better than the first is the best way to describe it IMO, but it does suffer from some of the same irritating problems I had with the first movie.

Also, like most have already said Tom Hiddleston is easily the star of this franchise. Loki is more human and compelling than any other characters in these movies and his comedic timing is always on point. The CA cameo was priceless.

Hopefully he goes on to do bigger/better projects in the near future outside of the MCU.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:58 am
Extraordinary

_axiom wrote:
IM series are overrated and just get worse and more laughable with each new one.

On no planet is IRON MAN 3 worse than IRON MAN 2.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:30 pm
We had our time together

It's not much better either.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Um, sure. Whatever you say.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:58 pm
Extraordinary

THOR 2

I enjoyed Thor 2 and thought it's a good addition to the overall Marvel universe but it wasn't completely entertaining to me. The villain just was a bit flat along with this Aether substance. There appeared to be a bit more comedy in this than the previous. I liked that. I enjoy Loki much more. He's a Great villain or anti-hero now in my view. Hiddleston has just created a great persona with this character. I find it weird/interesting that these alien beings still fight with swords/axes And laser blasters and such. It's strange. Finally, I loved the credit sequence since we finally have something linking a film to GOTG which I'm ready to watch Today. I love the setup for things that will eventually occur way down the road with Avengers 3.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:39 pm
You must have big rats

I am with Riggs. Iron Man 2 is worse than Iron Man 3, but not significantly.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

Magnus wrote:
I really wish these films just took more time with Thor/Loki together. Their relationship actually is quite fascinating.

Agree with this, and marvel knows it, for that reason they haven't got rid of Loki yet and will keep using him in future projects

2. Rebel Moon
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
10. Blue Beetle

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next