Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Prisoners 

Rate this film.
A 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Prisoners 
You must have big rats

Post Re: Prisoners
Magnus wrote:
Thegun wrote:
Though the parking lot scene definitely contradicts that. Dano is definitely smarter than he leads on

Yep. He clearly has mental issues but I don't think the film does a good job of making him seem like a complete mess mentally.

I'd boldly assume that you, David and thegun haven't dealt with all that many mentally challenged people before (outside of WOKJ, obviously ;) )

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I was in Best Buddies in high school!

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:16 pm
On autopilot for the summer

A decent amount through charities and volunteer work, and stories I've done. It's very hard to characterize someone whose illness isn't exactly defined like Dano's.

Leo made it seem that he was attacked by the snakes when he was younger, which only made him "think carefully" about what he says, I think they purposely kept it vague. Anyone that did that to a dog when walking it, isn't all there though!

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:19 pm
You must have big rats

David wrote:
I was in Best Buddies in high school!

I guess it is an American reference...

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

http://www.bestbuddies.org/best-buddies

People disturbed by the dog scene in this should see Andrea Arnold's Wuthering Heights.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:56 pm
Pure Phase

+

x

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:22 pm
Extraordinary

I "enjoyed" Prisoners - - at least as much as one can enjoy a film as grim as this.

It is the rare film that I felt a long running time actually added to the appropriateness of it's tone. It is also rare for a film to explore the evil nature of organized religion.

Plus, it didn't hurt that it was chock full of truly great actors.

8 out of 5.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:25 am
Extraordinary

Dr. Lecter wrote:
I still strongly disagree. Exactly how does the film show Jackman's actions as having worked out, considering that his daughter, in the end, is saved by coincidence. Sure, he caused this coincidence in a way by torturing Paul Dano's character (and thus having Loki come over to his mother's house), but it still remains a coincidence in my eyes. I didn't get a feeling that Jackman achieved anything. Sure, he found out for himself, but he ended up shot and in a hole. He didn't save his daughter.

I agree with Lecter - - it is a key point the film is making.

Also, I don't remember a Hollywood movie brave enough to be this quiet since A Simple Plan.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:43 am
Top Poster

Something disturbing to ponder, Paul Dano was much worse off as Hugh Jackman's prisoner than as Melissa Leo's prisoner, it is arguable that he went through greater depths of evil than Leo (if we think of Dano as a child rather than grow man). Parallels to Guantanamo?

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Alex Y. wrote:
Something disturbing to ponder, Paul Dano was much worse off as Hugh Jackman's prisoner than as Melissa Leo's prisoner, it is arguable that he went through greater depths of evil than Leo (if we think of Dano as a child rather than grow man). Parallels to Guantanamo?

The way you ended this post is so, so hilarious.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:28 am
We had our time together

I loved this for the first 2 hours. It was really intense and had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I had my worries about the running time but it moved very well, nothing dragged. I wasn't a big fan of the ending, though. Felt too much like an average thriller ending after the greatness that came before. Melissa Leo giving away everything and the Vanishing stuff just didn't do it for me.

Oh and Jake Gyllenhaal is growing on me. My favorite performance of the movie.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:02 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

bleak

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:47 pm
New Server, Same X

I loved this movie.

My only complaint might be that I wish Jackman's character hadn't been found. Which is why, despite its lack of ambiguity (if only the screen had faded to black after the first faint whistle), I still believe that maybe he wasn't found. It would just serve the overall bleakness of it more.

But still great.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:04 pm
now we know

I think it's a masterpiece. All the performances are sensational. It's just so well made. Everything is perfectly how I wanted it to unfold. I suspected Dano's mother, but didn't put much confidence into the theory. The red herrings and history supporting the kidnapping were fantastic. Gyllenhaal's character is awesome. Jackman's character was OTT, but precisely what it needed. It's a real guys film, this is. It's also beautifully filmed and moves at a perfect pace for it's 2.5hr run time. The score complements the film well too. I adored how the film ended after a few faint whistles. I really wasn't prepared for another rescue by Gyllenhaal, and it never happened. Such a grim film overall, and I absolutely adored it.

I regret not watching it earlier as I have had it available to me for a few weeks now. I would have definitely voted for it in the WOKJ Awards had I seen it before.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:53 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Magnus wrote:
Also, Jackmans morals arent questionable. Yeah, torturing the guy like that is cruel but it DOES pay off in the end because Jackman was right. It's hard to really go back and think, "eh Jackman probably shouldn't have done that" when his action clearly does save his girls life. The film IMO doesn't really make you think that Jackman was wrong. He'll go to jail cause its illegal but if any decent parent is given the choice of prison versus having their kid dead, they're picking prison. It would have worked much better if Dano died or his girl died. That would have really add some moral dilemma's.

What's great is that Jackman will probably never see a prison cell because Dano would have to press charges. If he doesn't (and he probably wouldn't because he's a dumbass), then Jackman will have gotten away with his torture, which then did actually 100% help to find his daughter, so everything he did, while not usually productive, was very helpful.

Might I just add that I am loving Gyllenhaal's career of recent years. I need to watch Rendition. I meant to watch it when it came out but never got around to it.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Great film but I have to really wonder what people are thinking how they see the ending.

- The ending is left up in the air but it is 100% sure he finds Jackman, he will likely get in trouble but considering the situation he will get a light setence.

What he did to Alex is wrong but I think if Alex did not have the mind of a 10 year old, I think people would say Jackman did was not that bad.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This is great. I don't usually like this kind of film, and I did not watch it for months after it was released due to this. But I really liked the cast, so I gave it a try. What a surprise! It was absolutely mesmerizing to watch. Every scene is thrilling; not once did I expect the aunt to have done it. I didn't think the religion trashing was the point of the movie. More of a cherry (or, if you look at it the other way, a sour grape) on top of an already complex film. I really need to watch this again. Sicario looks dull to me, but I will definitely check it out if its from the director of this.

A+

Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:56 pm
now we know

zwack's taste is getting better.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:12 am
Profile WWW