Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Birth 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 15

Birth 
College Boy Z

Post Birth
Birth

Quote:
Birth is a 2004 film directed by Jonathan Glazer and starring Nicole Kidman, Lauren Bacall, Danny Huston and Cameron Bright.

The story is about a young widow from a prominent Manhattan-based family named Anna (played by Kidman) who slowly becomes convinced that her husband, Sean, who died ten years previously, has been reincarnated in the form of a 10-year-old boy also named Sean (Bright). At first Anna is skeptical, but Sean's intimate knowledge of their past makes her think twice.

Distributed by New Line Cinema, it earned 12th position on its opening weekend, garnering $1.7 million with bookings at 550 screens. The combined worldwide total box office was $23.9 million, with $5.1 million in the United States and $18.8 million abroad. Despite praise for Kidman's performance (which earned her a Golden Globe Award nomination) and Glazer's direction, as well as Harris Savides's cinematography and Alexandre Desplat's score, the film generally received mixed reviews. However, writing in The Guardian in August 2010, film critic David Thomson included the film in his list of '10 lost works of genius'.

A nice, big, fat waste of time. D+

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:19 pm
Forum General

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

I wouldn't recommend it, but just so you know, it's definitely not *my* type of movie.

Go ahead, though. Knock your socks off.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:27 pm
Teh Mexican

if you hate it, im going to hate it!....

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:29 pm
College Boy Z

I don't think many people did like this movie (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/birth/).

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:32 pm
Teh Mexican

Critics are just full of crap!......i dont care for the reviews....

maybe ill rent it, the plot sound very interesting

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:36 pm
College Boy Z

I agree, but this time, I agree with them.

And, that, like, never happens. :shock:

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:37 pm
Teh Mexican

matatonio wrote:

I agree, but this time, I agree with them.

And, that, like, never happens. :shock:

......well i have to see the movie, and see if a...agree...with them.....too

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:43 pm
Extraordinary

I gave Birth a C+. The potential is there with Kidman's performance, outstanding cinematography, and a haunting score, but the story simply never developed. I kept waiting for something to happen, but it never did. Too ambiguous.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Birth is a pretty darn good entry in the sparse genre of Psy-Fi - movies that use psychic plot elements as a scientific "reality". I suppose the most famous practioner in this genre would be M. Night Shyamalan.

The story is told very sombrely at first which enhances its believability and creepiness. Nicole Kidman is awesome as usual as the woman who is confronted by a 10 year old boy who claims to be her long dead husband. Her reaction, as well as the reactions of her family and fiance make up the heart of this movie. It really did create a spellbinding effect. Also, depending on how uptight you are about sexuality, you may find your perspective somewhat stretched or bent. I found this to be fascinating, but at the same time worried about the actor playing the boy. Of course, the broader theme is the underlying nature of male/female relationships far beyond this one fictional premise. Luckily, by the end some humor has begun to creep in, and that helps to defuse the creep out effect.

Overall, this movie was really something different, and I can recommend it to anyone for whom the plot description sounds more intriguing than disturbing.

4 out of 5.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:32 am
Sbil

Terribly boring. It was also quite pretentious. For some reason, director Jonathan Glazer elects to make us feel like we are watching the movie that will change all movies, as if Birth is the most importat filmmaking experience of all time. Not one thing any character says throughout the whole thing is how I would imagine something a real person would say. One begins to wonder why the adults who are so convinced "Sean" is really an imposter don't ask him more in-depth and interesting questions than they do, making the whole conflict ring not true. The performances are mostly forgettable. Lauren Bacall, Anne Heche and Danny Huston are wasted in supporting roles. Cameron Bright does manage to turn in an interesting performance, at least giving "Sean" the right tone if the other actors miss it. Nicole Kidman's performance is ruined because she is forced to utter such embarassing dialogue. Unquestionably, the best scene in Birth is an astonishing 3-minute, silent close-up of Kidman. It is an absolutely amazing moment, and the only memorable one in the film, all thanks to Kidman. Unfortunately, it all comes crashing down when Anna starts speaking again.

D+

Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:02 pm
College Boy Z

I thought Birth was...

Terribly boring. It was also quite pretentious. For some reason, director Jonathan Glazer elects to make us feel like we are watching the movie that will change all movies, as if Birth is the most importat filmmaking experience of all time. Not one thing any character says throughout the whole thing is how I would imagine something a real person would say. One begins to wonder why the adults who are so convinced "Sean" is really an imposter don't ask him more in-depth and interesting questions than they do, making the whole conflict ring not true. The performances are mostly forgettable. Lauren Bacall, Anne Heche and Danny Huston are wasted in supporting roles. Cameron Bright does manage to turn in an interesting performance, at least giving "Sean" the right tone if the other actors miss it. Nicole Kidman's performance is ruined because she is forced to utter such embarassing dialogue. Unquestionably, the best scene in Birth is an astonishing 3-minute, silent close-up of Kidman. It is an absolutely amazing moment, and the only memorable one in the film, all thanks to Kidman. Unfortunately, it all comes crashing down when Anna starts speaking again.

D+

What'd you think about that so-called "twist" ending, Libs?

For a twist-ending, it was seriously predictable and stupid at the same time.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:22 pm
Forum General

This was a really tough one to grade. First of all, I didn't think the film was boring at all. I thought it was quite interesting how Anna thought it was absolutely hilarious that the little boy said he was Shawn and then completely changed her opinion. I think it's one of the best films of last year. The choreography was amazing (Mike, see this!!) and the music was haunting. Everybody in the film was absolutely amazing, especially Kidman. I don't understand what the big deal was about the bath tub scene. It's not like it was at all sexual and Kidman even said to the kid, "I want you to leave." I absolutely loved the long shots in the film as well. BIRTH is a must for choreography lovers and a definiate must for film lovers.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Kypade

l'm one of the few that saw this during it's initial theatrical run, l believe...and one of the even fewer who really likes it. l never found it boring. A little out there, perhaps, and maybe a little nonsensical, and possibly even unimportant by the time the credits roll...but definitely not bad or boring. Just an interesting story with some great acting and an amazing score. It's forgettable, sure, but walking out of the theater it really had me thinking and feeling. And l liked it. l'll rent the dvd, sometime and come back to see how it holds up, but for now it's prolly a B+ or so.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:19 am
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

There's one word for me to sum up Birth, and that is: unique. I think this is one of the most original films of 2004. For example, the musical score, which worked in some places and felt awkward in others, was quite unlike anything I'd ever heard before. The plot is interesting, but the pacing is a bit uneven. And sometimes the camera lingered on some shots for too long. Still, Nicole Kidman gives a marvelous, oscar-worthy performance, and the film is daring enough to merit a look.

B

Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is now coming from Netflix so I'll be seeing it soon.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:57 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

l'm... one of the even fewer who really likes it. l never found it boring.

Well, it looks like this thread is tied with 4 good reviews and 4 bad reviews - so you're not alone!

Far from boring, I found it so spellbinding that I couldn't find a spot for a washroom break - it was avery quiet and still movie though, which seems to have come across as boring to some of the reviewers here...

Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:29 am
Wallflower

An absolutely fascinating and very well made film! Nicole Kidman gives another superb performance! It's not for everyone but I definitely recommend it to non-mainstream audiences, or at least moviegoers with an open mind that can appreciate something different and a little weird every once in a while.

I will definitely be purchasing this!

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:29 pm
Extraordinary

Alright! Thanx to Mike's positive review - the Birth fans outnumber the Birth haters, 5-4!

It certainly is a polarizing love/hate kinda film though - which is a good thing in my book - a mediocre film never generates that kind of intensity of opinion...

Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:55 am
Forum General

BIRTH - 8/10 (B+)

An absolutely fascinating and very well made film! Nicole Kidman gives another superb performance! It's not for everyone but I definitely recommend it to non-mainstream audiences, or at least moviegoers with an open mind that can appreciate something different and a little weird every once in a while.

I will definitely be purchasing this!

Yay! I'm so happy you loved it \:D/

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:46 am
Profile YIM WWW
Lord of filth

Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Birth wasn't the greatest film but I enjoyed the atmosphere and the acting. The twist ending, I saw it coming a mile away. I would recommend the film for fans of Rosemary's Baby, Don't Look Now, and the like. The bathtub scene didn't measure up to the hype.

C+

Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:20 am
Wallflower

The bath scene all depends on how uptight you are about sexuality. I myself am not uptight at all but still found myself a tad uncomfortable during it due to me wondering how damn uncomfortable others might be during it. I could see myself being uncomfortable watching the scene with someone else, depending on the person.

The kiss is what I found to be blown way out of proportion. They made it sound like it was a french kiss or something but it was just a little kiss on the lips. I found that to be nothing. Still, the movie is pretty edgy and will bother some people.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:44 pm
Veteran

Yuck! The story looked intersting but ick. I think the whole story was wrong wrong WRONG!

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Grrr, I had my full review typed and I lost it.

(spoilers ahead)
Summary:
-Score and cinematography are superb.
-As is Nicole Kidman. She never gives an over the top performance, something many actresses would be tempted to do in a role like this.
-The story seemed very realistic, Anna was hesitant to believe him at first, everyone else never quites believes him (Sean). What would anyone do when someone you've never heard about shows up says he is the reincarnation of a dead person (someone you love) and seems to know as much as he does, for no apparant reason. Depends on the person, but..
-I think the film was more about Anna's love for her dead husband than the reincarnation itself. she is willing to believe anything if it means gaining him back. It is almost more of an obssession than it is love, I would say. It is never more clear when the truth is finally reveale. More than angry or anything else...Anna is dissapointed.
-Very intriguing film. Kept my attention at all moments. And superbly done in general. But....
-It is not necessarily something I'd want to see again, nor is it something I'll really remember one yer from now.

Bottom line: Great character study (Anna). Great efforts, and great for one viewing. The score, cinematography, Kidman, and that final scene are unforgettable. The same can't quite be said about the film itself.

B

Best Actress 2008

Sun May 01, 2005 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next