Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 World War Z 

What grade would you give this film?
A 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
B 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

World War Z 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post World War Z
World War Z

Quote:
World War Z is a 2013 apocalyptic horror film directed by Marc Forster. The screenplay by Matthew Michael Carnahan is based on the 2006 novel of the same name by Max Brooks. The film stars Brad Pitt as Gerry Lane, a retired U.N. employee who must travel the world to find a way to stop the zombie pandemic that is defeating armies and collapsing governments.

Pitt's Plan B Entertainment secured the film rights in 2007 and Forster was approached to direct. In 2009, Carnahan was hired to rewrite the script to the film. Filming began in July 2011 in Malta on an estimated $125 million budget, before moving to Glasgow in August 2011 and Budapest in October 2011. Originally set for a December 2012 release, the production suffered some setbacks. In June 2012, the film's release date was pushed back and the crew returned to Budapest for seven weeks of additional shooting. Damon Lindelof was hired to rewrite the third act, but did not have the time to finish the script and Drew Goddard was hired to rewrite it. The reshoots took place between September and October 2012.

World War Z premiered in London on June 2, 2013 and was chosen to open the 35th Moscow International Film Festival. The film is scheduled to be released on June 21, 2013 in the United States in 2D, RealD 3D and IMAX 3D.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: World War Z
WORLD WAR Z

It's not the most exciting film in the world as the last bit is totally predictable but what they do right here is create cool intense moments. We have the beginning mayhem of the outbreak, the escape from the building, the asia mission and so on. I really enjoyed the action sequences they created. The story was okay. It's nothing mind blowing here. The acting was serviceable. I'm glad the whole family dynamic was pushed to the side for the most part. The last thing I'd want to see is a father or parent trying to save their kid for two hours from zombies. Again, the final act kind of falls flat and I wish this actually was rated R so there could be a lot more gore and blood shown. You just can't have a zombie film and one title World War and not have blood and guts all over the place. It's just not right.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:13 am
You must have big rats

^ I agree with the above word for word. The ending was anti-climatic.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:39 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I didn't have a big problem with the ending. It was predictable, but that's ok. It was all very well done, decently acted and it had quite a bit of tension.

B+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:41 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

And I actually didn't mind the effects. They weren't great, but they never really focused on them for too long.

The zombie lady locked in the disease center was kinda silly, though.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:44 pm
Sbil

Despite a troubled production history and rewrites/reshoots/you name it, World War Z is actually a very entertaining, briskly paced summer blockbuster. I was digging my nails into the seat for more than a few scenes. Some of the set pieces work better than others and the ending does feel a bit rushed as others have said, but it's a pretty fun movie in general. Brad Pitt does solid work in a bit of an everyman type of role. B

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:58 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I actually heard the film was much more action pack, but the reshoots took almost 30 minutes of action out in favor of more character development.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:03 am
Sbil

Thegun wrote:
I actually heard the film was much more action pack, but the reshoots took almost 30 minutes of action out in favor of more character development.

Erm, I dunno about that. It was pretty action packed as it was and there wasn't much character development to speak of.

It appears they reshot the ending, though. The final act of the movie is surprisingly small in scope compared to everything before it.

I could not figure out why Matthew Fox was in this in such a nothing role, by the way. Was he doing a favor for someone or something?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:08 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

My friend saw a screening of this a few months ago and said they took out a few scenes and added some stuff to the ending.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:23 am
Pure Phase

Almost there. The big-budget action set pieces, a gargantuan undead siege of Jerusalem in particular, have a genuine sense of excitement, fear, and larger-than-life scope and are crafted with more care and visual wit than those in, say, Iron Man 3 or Man of Steel. And this is an important virtue, in the summertime in particular. Those in search of fast, accessible, adrenaline fueled suspense will not go unrewarded. It is a shame then so much of the rest of the film plays as a minor version of 2005's fantastic War of the Worlds, a clone in which the central domestic dynamic is thinly conceived rather than touching and the post-9/11 atmosphere of dread comes and goes rather than pulsating throughout each scene. Brad Pitt is an engaging lead, though he has to fight against the limitations of a rather blandly heroic role.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:45 am
You must have big rats

Libs wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Erm, I dunno about that. It was pretty action packed as it was and there wasn't much character development to speak of.

It appears they reshot the ending, though. The final act of the movie is surprisingly small in scope compared to everything before it.

I could not figure out why Matthew Fox was in this in such a nothing role, by the way. Was he doing a favor for someone or something?

I read his name in the credits, but I didn't notice him in the film. Where did he appear exactly??

And I completely agree about the ending...it felt out of place.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

F+

Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:45 am
Profile ICQ
Pure Phase

Matthew Fox is among the soldiers who save Brad Pitt and his family on the rooftop of the apartment complex.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:09 am
You must have big rats

So it's a five seconds appearance?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Yes, more or less. I do believe he is the one who shoots Zombie Friendly Latino Father.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:17 am
Sbil

I actually liked the ending, although I think the movie was like 5-10 minutes too short.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:41 am
Pure Phase

I admire the decision to go for small-scale cat-and-mouse suspense for the finale after so much outsize spectacle and enjoyed most of the underground-lab scene. It never reaches an absolute fever pitch of suspense similar to, say, the scene with the raptors in the kitchen in Jurassic Park, but it is nicely done.

I hate the ending ending, though, with Pitt delivering the ultra routine, "Our war is far from over" monologue. Very uninspired and anticlimactic.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:44 am
You must have big rats

Well, they needed to set up two sequels.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Oh, the one moment where I truly believe the PG-13 is a hindrance: Pitt's split-second decision to amputate the Israeli soldier's hand to stop the infection. In an R-rated picture, such a moment could be wrenching, but the way it is depicted here is confusing and almost creates the sense having one's arm lopped is not such a big deal.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:06 am
You must have big rats

Yes, PG-13 really was not appropriate. I believe it would have succeeded almost equally with an R-rating too.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:08 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I would've given this an A with an R rating.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:20 pm
Pure Phase

The professional reviews of this film are a rather dramatic illustration of how there is no almost mystery left regarding the film industry. I have not read one which just says, "Brad Pitt. Zombies. Epic disaster movie. Let's dig in and see how this is." Each is bathed in lowered expectations and cynicism, with even the positive notices citing what a surprise its quality is considering the mishap laden production and ballooning budget. I am not saying this is a revelation, but it just hit me in a certain way.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:49 pm
You must have big rats

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/world- ... ding/12638

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Watched it again tonight. Heh, I think the PG13 rating really brought out the families. There were lots of teens and kids with parents here. This one teenage guy sat next to me and he jumped about three times during the film. :)

One thing I really enjoyed a lot was the soundtrack. I liked the music. I think I may get this soundtrack.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:38 pm
Sbil

Dr. Lecter wrote:
http://www.movies.com/movie-news/world-war-z-original-ending/12638

So glad they changed it. The original ending sounds like a hot mess.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next