Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 A Few Good Men 

What grade would you give this film?
A 84%  84%  [ 16 ]
B 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

A Few Good Men 
College Boy Z

Post A Few Good Men
A Few Good Men

Quote:
A Few Good Men is a 1992 drama film directed by Rob Reiner and starring Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, and Demi Moore. It was based on a play of the same name by Aaron Sorkin. A courtroom drama, the film revolves around the trial of two US Marines charged with the murder of a fellow Marine and the tribulations of their lawyer as he prepares a case to defend his clients.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:30 pm
Award Winning Bastard

A Few Good Men is my all time favorite drama! Great performances all around! Great script! It doesn't get much better than this.

A+

Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:36 pm
Extraordinary

Yes, a great movie. And one everyone should watch because it has an interesting critique about the military and following orders. Its unfortunate because in the end, we don't really want the small guys at the bottom to be the ones held responsable, but thankfull Cruise and Co. get the man who ordered the code red. Build up with good suspence, this is a court drama at its best. Not only because information seeps in slowly, and because neither the audiance nor the characters are privy to information the other one is not, but also because its an interesting case. Sometimes court case movies are built up either about something unconvincing, or something so large it doesn't touch us. But this is actually a very simple case about two soldiers following orders, which escalates into a critique of both the military system and whom it should be protecting.

Excellent acting all the way around, Nickolson is golden as usualy. He's been getting even better with age.

A

Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:44 am
Veteran

It's worth watching if for no other reason than Demi Moore actually gives a good performance. One of Rob REiner's better films. Who can forget "you can't handle the truth!"? My grade: A-.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

Great movie, everything is top notch. This and Misery show that Reiner has some ability instead of making Romantic Comedy after Romcom.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

I love this movie Jack Nicholson steals the show.

A-

1. Titanic - $600.8m
2. Star Wars - $461.0m
3. Shrek 2 - $441.2m
4. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial - $435.1m
5. The Phantom Menace - $431.1m
6. Spider-Man - $403.7m
7. Revenge of the Sith - $380.3m
8. Return of the King - $377.0m
9. Spider-Man 2 - $373.6m
10. The Passion of the Christ - $370.8m

Fri May 06, 2005 11:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

"You can't handle the truth!" This line shouted out by Nicholson always gives me the chills.

The movie is not the best courtroom thriller I know, but it ranks high above there. Cruise delivers and Moore is decent (though much inferior to the both male leads), but Nicholson steals the show easily. His turn is amazing and represents one of the five best performances in his career. The story is well-paced, though quite predictable from the beginning on. Nicholson elevates this movie above average BIG TIME!!!

Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:13 pm
Profile WWW

Simply one of the best ever, number 49 to be exact, the ending is the best part og the show!
A

Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:56 am
loyalfromlondon

Solid drama with a fantastic courtroom finale. Cruise is a bit less annoying, as signs of maturity are showing through, and Nicholson is excellent. Very interesting mystery and some great dialogue. Outstanding all-around.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:05 am
Indiana Jones IV

Amazing film..I had seen bits and parts of it on TNT, but I went to Best Buy yesterday and they had to for 5.50, and I could not refuse. I watched it, and it was brilliant. The ending court scene between Nicholson and Cruise is so intense. I loved every second of this movie. Cruise does such a great job and Nicholson as always did also. I never thought about it, but Nicholson kind of has the look of a Army Col. So intimidating. Anyway.... A+...In my top 10.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Sbil

A

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:41 am
You must have big rats

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:44 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

"Is there another kind?"

"You want answers?"
"I think I'm entitled to them."
"YOU WANT ANSWERS?"
"IWANT THE TRUTH"
""""YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!"

One of the best!!

10/10

Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I think I can say, without hesitation, that this is one of the best films I've ever seen. Like, seriously, top ten and stuff.

A+

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:55 am
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: A Few Good Men
Heh. :thumbsup:

Can't believe you'd never seen it before, though. I've seen it, seriously, at least ten times.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:59 am
College Boy Z

Yeah, honestly, I'm not sure how I missed it. Two of my favorite actors (Cruise and Nicholson) and one of my favorite genres (courtroom dramas - yes, not quite blending in with my other favorites like zombie flicks and brainless action movies), and I still never saw it until tonight.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:01 am
life begins now

Love, love, love this.

A

Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:58 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

Just watched this for the first time in quite a while

It's definitley one of the biggest examples of how a typically normal plot and story, in this case a military courtroom drama, can be so hugely elevated by script and acting. And by hugely, I mean HUGELY.

It probably has among the best acting in a film from the 90s actually, I mean where do you start. Nicholson is only in a few scenes, but he paints such a despicable character just by the way he talks and reacts, so much that I left wondering how he ever played a good guy in film. I'd say Demi Moore and Keifer also career bests or something close to it, both are surprising compared to what is normally seen of them. Tom Cruise, Kevin Pollack, Kevin Bacon, the soldiers, the judge not much to say, they're great too naturally.

Sorkin's script makes me so excited for Charlie Wilson's War this December. The entire movie is people having conversations with each other, but at 2 and a half hours long it never lets down the excitement. It's just witty and snappy, and unravels the plot perfectly. Missing a screenplay nomination for this is one of the more bizarre snubs by the academy I've seen, the movie was a big player that year and had its BP nom, I'm pretty befuddled to why it didn't get one.

A-

Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:16 am
Where will you be?

Yes it is a great, hugely entertaining film that touches on subjects we could all think about with the wars going on right now. And Jack, oh Jack. Nicholson knocks it out of the park so high that everyone considers him to be a lead character despite only being in three scenes. But to be honest, I think Cruise and Reiner have both impressed me more in other works. Someone mentioned that Cruise was maturing, but really I think it's taken him another few years to do some really commendable work.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:22 am
College Boy Z

So fucking awesome, this movie.

Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:19 am
Forum General

nope Nicholson just took the film to a whole new level above all the court dramas we know off.

If he was not there, the film would have not been so popular.

Great film...

A-

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Watched this for the first time last night and loved it. My favorite work of Aaron Sorkin I've seen thus far. He hits his point without ever getting too preachy. I'm sure Reiner had a lot to do with that as well. That man knew how to keep a story moving.

Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:14 pm
now we know

They don't make them like this anymore. A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I watched this again last week from remembering it fondly before, and especially with the classic "You can't handle the truth" line always lingering around. It was great to see again, and not just that particular line, the film itself is a classic. Cruise has almost never been better, that scene where he comes home drunk and gives out on the situation of the trial till that point is amazing, and while I didn't see any of the other nominees that year I can't imagine he wasn't robbed of nomination. Nicholson deserved his supporting nom. too, but it's definitely Cruise who's the best actor in the film, Pollack is a nice sidekick and Moore is great too and actually unfathomably attractive as an army prosecutor. There's so much more to the cast even, Bacon, Sutherland, Wyle and also behind the screen, the talent of Sorkin with a great script, Reiner in form, and the sound and score round it off as the best court room drama in memory. It's all just pure excellence and tops 1992 in film for me.

A

Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]