Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
 The Dark Knight Rises 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 36 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 12 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 60

The Dark Knight Rises 
now we know

Post Re: The Dark Knight Rises
It's funny that the guy that wrote Nolan's Batman movies started out writing such works of art as Kickboxer 2 and Death Warrant. I actually like the latter, but it's by no means well-written. I wonder if the Nolan's heavily guided Goyer when he wrote the Dark Knight trilogy. Unless he just improved ten-fold over the years, learning from his mistakes.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:34 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Watching this essentially right after watching the previous two gave it a lot more context and made it a more enjoyable experience. The Dark Knight is still far and away the best of the three, mainly due to the Joker and Two-Face being amazing, but this is better than Batman Begins. Bane is mediocre, but Anne Hathaway is a great Catwoman, and the trilogy comes to a satisfying conclusion for most of the characters. Christian Bale is the best Batman, mainly because his is the only one with a character arc. Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney and Affleck are basically just placeholders while the villains in their movies stel the show. But Bale is an equal to them all pretty much. The film suffers from the same problems as the first two, mainly the excessive length, a few dull/repetitive sequences, and the fact that I just prefer a more fantastical Batman universe. But I can say I no longer hate this movie.

B

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:28 pm
now we know

It is a tidy and accomplished ending to the trilogy, but I just categorically dislike the story in this one. The whole bomb plot with Batman taking it out into the bay reminds me of Batman from the 60s TV show running with the bomb over his head. Holding the city like a Fascist state is also a bit overkill. It was too grandiose when it did not need to be. I like Bane as the villain, and the whole twist that Miranda is the one that escaped, and she is Liam Neeson's daughter, that's all cool. But the fights and choreography are still an issue here. There is an occasion where Batman jumps in on about 8 dudes looking to give Joseph Gordon-Levitt a beating. They all have guns. Batman has nothing but his fists. He starts beating a few, while the other five stand and watch (they are holding guns!), why not shoot him? So they wait as he defeats them one-by-one, then they don't shoot, they flail their arms and try to take him on in a fist fight. It's ludicrous. And this happens throughout with anyone that isn't Batman or Bane.

This has some cool twists and outcomes. Knowing Bruce made it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. And Alfred and Bruce's hallway talk is great. Also, the film flies by for a 2hr and 40min run-time. Overall, The Dark Knight Rises is a watchable and entertaining close to the franchise, but it is by far the weakest of the trilogy. I feel it bit off more than it could chew.

Batman Begins A-
The Dark Knight B+
The Dark Knight Rises B-

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its entertaining and has amped up action but its definitely not as good as the first two movies. The whole finale where the city is taken hostage is a bit too much to digest. Bane was great in here and Keaton continues to impress as Alfred. The action is still a problem and I still feel Bale's Batman is over burdened by his own story but overall Bruce gets a better treatment here than last two movies. Damn Anne Hathway is so good that she lights up the screen every-time she comes on screen.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:22 am
Forum General

I was high on this when I first saw it for sure and while I do still enjoy it and think its a perfectly good ending for this trilogy its definitely the weakest and least re-watchable film in this franchise IMO. The story just gets way too convoluted and ridiculous at times and while Nolan is a master craftsman in terms of the scope and the technical achievements of this movie it seems like its all barely being held together by his weak and messy script. Anne Hathaway was really good as Selina Kyle/Catwoman though and I still think its some of Hardy's best work.

Speaking of Bane I don't think I can ever watch this movie again without laughing now that they have successfully made fun of that Sean Connery accent in the Harley Quin show lol.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:56 am
Superfreak

I hate when this is usually done, but this movie should have divided into 2 parts with part 1 ending when Batman's back gets broken and Bane alluding to the damage he is about to do.

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:18 pm
The Kramer

I don't think Nolan has ever talked about it, for obvious reasons, but I wonder what the original plan for the movie was. Would Joker have helped Batman defeat the League of Shadows, taking over Catwoman's role, or would it have been an entirely different story?

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:19 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I still think this is the best, but had the movie been split into 2, an epic final shot to part 1 could have been joker stepping out of Arkham into Gotham. Though to be fair, That would have been 2 hell of depressing movies. I guess they could have amped up Batman’s return more, and given his fall even more poignancy but.

But at the same time, I love that aspect of a truly underprepared Batman looking to just step back after his hiatus and weakened state and just getting slammed. A great long finale always seems like it could have enough for 2 films. But I’ll take the one great finale kind of stretching beyond then risk a messy 2 parter

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24