Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 The Avengers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 24 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 13 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 40

The Avengers 
Superfreak

Post Re: The Avengers
Mannyisthebest wrote:
Do we need to get in the many many many many many many many many ....

many confusing plot points in TDKR...

:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

"Hey Look I am a cool Villain but actually I am nobody, the real villain is this boring lady"

"hey I escaped a nuclear blast with only 5 seconds to spare"

Lets not even try...

Ole Batsy clearly ejected over the city. Bane was obviously the real villain, just because he had a soft spot for Talia doesnt change the fact that he totally owned the film.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:35 am
Forum General

"
Actually, yeah we do. Because I think you'll find that in terms of "confusing plot points", Avengers wins by a wide margin"

No the Avengers never took it self seriously...Any confusing plot points just are glossed over due to the action...

Batman is suppose to be the realistic dark film...

Batman escaping a nuclear blast within 5 seconds is easily one of the biggest impossible plot points... He did not eject till 5 seconds were up and frankly he should have died...
I am happy he lived but come on...

Also Bane was weakened by the whole plot revealed at the end, no doubt about it and his voice was laughable...

Talia was uber lame to the extreme..."Oh I stabbed you in the back, now your all going to die!"

TDKR is a better film but it fell considerably from TDK due to some really rushed plot points...

Like why was the plot from Bane to ruin Gotham do damn complicated!!!
This film has great wom but it will not be a classic film like TDK.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Avengers is good fun with likable characters. It is not 1/100th as theme heavy as any of Nolans Batman movies, which is fine.

This one walked the line between fun (Raimi's first Spider-man)& retarded (Fantastic Four) really well. The sequel will have to do the same.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:08 pm
Forum General

I bought it a while ago on Blu-Ray and yeah it's still a lot of fun. Although, I didn't have as much fun with it as I did seeing it in the theatre on opening night with a HUGE, pumped up audience. I also just noticed how slow the first act is, but once the action kicks in it definitely delivers.

The last hour or so is just EPIC and done so much better than any of the Transformers movies. It doesn't need to be as deep and complex as Nolan's Batman movies to be good. The entertainment value alone more than makes up for it.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:51 pm
Superfreak

Some of the dialogue is poorly written, it is hilariously awkward.

They nail a lot of the bickering & humorous back and fourths, along with pretty much all of stark & furys lines. But lines like

"so this must...all be new to you?"- .....pause.....-"actually this is pretty familiar"....awkward silence..."you might want to come inhere, its going to get a little hard to breathe"....

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES def. has the better writing of the two :lolz:

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:22 pm
Superfreak

Considering I saw this 4 times in theaters, bought the DVD and have watched it 2 more times, I think it is about time I wrote this an official review. I know a lot of my comments seemed quite negative.

I will start by saying that for the past several years, I did not think this film would actually be made. It would be too expensive, too complicated. Unless marvel walked an incredibly fine line, It would limit how popular the characters would be in stand alone films after everyone sees them team up. That was my belief, and it is still my belief. I am just stunned at well the line was walked. The film is just balls to the wall fun. Independence Day is my comparison. It is a larger than life popcorn blockbuster which is truly absurd, but the action & acting work so well that nobody cares. Whereas I worried this would limit the appeal of characters in future stand alone films, I know firmly believe it only enhances it, for all of then. It is an incredible accomplishment Wheedon has pulled off, one which will be long remembered.

Folks have long wondered what a Michael Bay superhero movie would be like. This is it. Unlike the Spiderman films of Raimi, or the Batman films of Nolan, THE AVENGERS makes no effort to overly deep or theme heavy. It is crowd pleaser, with likable character giving it a big heart, done on an immense scale. Excellent casting & acting brings otherwise dully written characters completely to live, and it is frankly stunning how strong of chemistry they all considering they were cast individually. Each character is given just enough screen time, are by & large written well, and leave us thoroughly satisfied despite wanting more.

The film makers wisely went with Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man as the lead. He is hilarious & lovable, and completely lights up the screen with every line. To say he carries the film is an overstatement, but RDJ's character of Tony Stark & Iron Man has made it through 3 films and not gotten old whatsoever. Not even Captain Jack Sparrow can say that. RDJ is at top form here, as are his partners. Scarlett Johanson's character gets a surprisingly large amount of screen time, and I am normally not a fan. But she kills it here, even if her "super powers" suck compared to the rest of them. Chris Evans as Captain America is rock solid if a bit unmemorable. Hemsworth Thor is surprisingly fun to watch, and given some dialogue. Ruffalos Banner is weird/cringe worthy on screen (perhaps that was the point), but Hulk is jaw droppingly awesome in this film, a total scene stealer. Jeremy Renner's hawkeye is easily the most boring of the bunch, and rightfully gets the least screen time. Enough cannot be said about how well the group interacts, the writing, acting, everything is flawless. There is a minute long single shot in the final battle of them all fighting individually, and it is just an awesome sight to behold. Tom Hiddlestons Loki is an odd, interesting villain who holds his own against the entire gang of heros. Samuel L Jackson is also very effective as Nick Fury ("stupid ass decision" had me on the floor). Whoever plys Coleson is also amusing.

The story is out there (the Tesseract just sounds stupid, as is the plot for intergalactic domination with it), but the action and humor are just too potent to not love this entirely. The scale is incredible, with the final 45 minutes being one of the most entertaining action sequences of all times. The humor is very strong - most of Iron Mans lines, several of Thors, a few scenes with Hulk, Black Widows first scene, Fury aforementioned line - are all frankly hysterical. Not 'giggle at them' like Nolans film, but ROFL ala a true comedy film. The pacing also worked very well for me. Sure, the beginning is more talky than the middle and end, but it is setting it all up. With the set, the rest is not as effective. I thought it was about as perfect as this type of film could get - for its length, I was never bored.

This is a film meant to be seen on the big screen, with a packed crowd. The midnight experience for this film has to be one of the greatest experiences I have had at a theater. The midnighter for THE DARK KNIGHT is the only one which I think tops it, but that was totally different. That one had the theater dead silent throughout most of the film, because they are just THAT engaged & totally floored by what they're watching. It is like being at Wimbledon. Whereas Avengers was like being at the super bowl -there was clapping throughout the movie at many different scenes and lines, unashamed enthusiasm just pouring out from everybody there. Just a great, great time at the theater. The product really delivered.
And to think, they still haven't even brought Spider-man in. Marvel deserves a thunderous standing ovation for this incredible achievement of a film.

A

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:49 pm
We had our time together

Well said :thumbsup:

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Well Said, The Avengers has big flaws but it never takes itself seriously so give it a pass.

The film has some big flaws but there is no doubt the entire City Battle is just soo much fun to watch...

The film really sold itself well and its when we saw this scene in the trailer, we knew this was going to be a fun film.

Four Scenes come to mind...

The whole scene where Hulk Says "I am always angry" and then the Avengers assemble in a big circle and the music plays, that is like Superhero Nirvana...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7UuN1XZ1y4[/youtube]

Then when CA gives the order to the hero's and says Hulk.... SMASH! lol

Then there is one of the coolest action scenes and a great achievement in action film making, where the followed the hero's for an entire minute in a uncut long shot..
Wish we could see more of those in films..

Then of course, likely the funniest and crowd pleasing scene of the year is when Hulk smashes around Loki...

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Do you consciously try to make your posts look deformed or does it come naturally, Manny?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Argos wrote:
Do you consciously try to make your posts look deformed or does it come naturally, Manny?

What..

lol, no around here the Avengers did big business :funny: :funny: ...

I don't like paragraphs.. but Robert Downey Jr. was the real crowd pleaser with his funny line..
and I know the next film will have a lot to live up to but I know it will be a mega huge crowd pleaser lol :funny: :funny:

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Not bad in its awfulness.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Yes, I can mimic simple life forms. Nothing too complex.

I have posted this before, but thought it was time for an update. http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/search.php?keywords=lol&terms=all&author=Mannyisthebest&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

I rewatched it tonight and it's still awesome but it loses some of its charm. Especially's Coulson's death.

Hawkeye is still so useless i don't think anyone will care when he dies in Avengers 2.

And after watching Buffy and Angel, this now reeks of Whedon's usual which is always a good thing.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:22 am
Forum General

Aren't people over this yet? :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:29 am
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

Mannyisthebest wrote:
"Hey Look I am a cool Villain but actually I am nobody, the real villain is this boring lady"

That's kind of the reverse of Iron Man 3. :funny:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:36 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

Mau wrote:

Hawkeye is still so useless i don't think anyone will care when he dies in Avengers 2.

Can't wait for this to happen

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:01 am
Extraordinary

I'm having a tedious time rewatching this...

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:19 pm
Hold the door!

This movie was really boring except for the last 10 minutes where stuff is being smashed by the Hulk, but even that gets old. Not quite as overrated and boring as Iron Man, but close.

C

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:03 pm
Keeping it Light

I loved the first Iron Man, but all the movies after that were either so-so, or just bad, therefore I didn't expect much from the Avengers either. Especially putting so many characters in one movie I thought it was very much going to fail, but then they actually did a great job. I found the movie very entertaining giving each Avenger its rightful purpose, thought it was pretty cool. Solid B+ for me. Looking forward to Ultron.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:45 am
now we know

I think I gave this a B- at the time, which then got lowered to a C or C+. These films are just so damn mediocre.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:03 am
Profile WWW
now we know

lol, you guys. Ridiculous.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon May 04, 2015 11:19 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Was it ever explained how Loki ended up on generic alien planet, and why he was declared their leader?

How did SHIELD get the tesseract?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:03 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Chippy wrote:
Was it ever explained how Loki ended up on generic alien planet, and why he was declared their leader?

How did SHIELD get the tesseract?

Ahh, almost forgot it was on CAs ship.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:25 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

With did Agent Coulson call Tony on his way up the elevator?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:27 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Fury puts Coulsons BLOOD on playing cards to trick the Avengers into fighting together, but saying Martha was TOO MUCH!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next