Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 15 ]
B 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
It really is a fun film and a great action pic. I guess wouldnt expect any less from Brad Bird. Let's hope the success of MI4 gives him his chance to direct his passion project "1906".

Paul Patton - yum!

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:21 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

And lists....

1. MI4
2. MI3
3. MI
4. MI

Though not much in it between the top 3, could change tomorrow.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:24 am
Draughty

It was solid fun, though it was a bizarre choice by the filmmakers to kill off the only memorable villain half way through the film.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

A. G. wrote:
It was solid fun, though it was a bizarre choice by the filmmakers to kill off the only memorable villain half way through the film.

I was fine with her not having that huge of a role. Makes her even moreso memorable. She works best as a hench(wo)man.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

Once again Brad Bird demonstrated his talented skills, he is such a genius, a solid A, now let's move onto the incredibles 2 or 1906

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:58 pm
Pure Phase

Review: http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=561

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:30 am
Draughty

Dr. Lecter wrote:
A. G. wrote:

I was fine with her not having that huge of a role. Makes her even moreso memorable. She works best as a hench(wo)man.

I definitely agree she should have remained only a henchwoman but if the boring generic bearded henchman had gone out the window and she had lasted till the last 15 minutes it would have been more exciting. Patton vs Henchette should have been one of the climactic fights. Cruise vs an old man wasn't an exciting matchup.

Also the Kremlin sequence, from the break-in to the well-done explosion was more gripping than the final set pieces. It would have been cooler if that had been the setting for the end game.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:08 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

MI:3 is still the best franchise entry for me.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:25 am
Sbil

A fantastic action movie and probably the best in the series. Some of the set pieces are amazing (Dubai!) and I liked that this was a team effort: Tom Cruise still has the stuff, Jeremy Renner is surprisingly funny, Paula Patton looks gorgeous and kicks some butt, and Simon Pegg's dry antics are amusing. I don't know why someone waited this long to give Brad Bird a live-action film to make, but hopefully there will be more coming down the pipeline. A-

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:23 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

People are telling me this is good, but as they say: fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. And this would be the fourth time I let this so-called franchise fool me, and I have absolutely no idea what the shame distribution becomes at that point.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:04 pm
Sbil

Johnny Dollar wrote:
People are telling me this is good, but as they say: fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. And this would be the fourth time I let this so-called franchise fool me, and I have absolutely no idea what the shame distribution becomes at that point.

I don't know how someone watches this and doesn't have at least a little fun.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:18 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Would you say that about any of the other three?

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:19 pm
I heet the canadian!

Johnny Dollar wrote:
Simple: the shame falls on you for missing the best action film of the year.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:47 pm
Pure Phase

Oh, Johnny Dollar didn't see Hanna? :P

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:03 pm
Sbil

Johnny Dollar wrote:
Would you say that about any of the other three?

It's the best in the series. It's not as complicated as the first one, not as stupid as the second, and not as grim as the third.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:25 pm
Pure Phase

Libs just outlined why it's inferior to the first and third films. It has no plot, whereas the first had a decent, compelling plot. And the third imbued the stunts-and-CGI shenanigans with a real sense of gravity and anxiety, whereas this feels entirely disposable.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:48 pm
I heet the canadian!

MI4 is pretty analogous to Star Trek 2009; it had a really shitty villian (especially compared to Khan), but it more than makes up for it by being a load of fun and having a great cast.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:03 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

David wrote:
Oh, Johnny Dollar didn't see Hanna? :P

this ftw

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Forum General

David wrote:
Libs just outlined why it's inferior to the first and third films. It has no plot, whereas the first had a decent, compelling plot. And the third imbued the stunts-and-CGI shenanigans with a real sense of gravity and anxiety, whereas this feels entirely disposable.

I agree with this. The third one was basically a glorified episode of Alias, but that wasn't a bad thing, in my book.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:53 pm
On autopilot for the summer

This is a smart film on a studio side as it is easily the most mainstream of the of all the Mi4 films. But at the same time it's also the most forgettable of the series (That is not a compliment of 2 as I wish I could forget that trainwreck) Everything that is there works. Great style, acting, humor, action, stunts, gadgets. It all breezes by from set piece to set piece with maybe 3 scenes in between for drama. Easily the best team since the original. Ethan goes a little too John McClane ala Live Free or Die Hard with the Sand Storm and Parking Garage in the action but it still is fun. I did laugh the most. You can tell there was a budget cut as some of the effect (Kremlin exploding, Sandstorm looked a little hokey) but Simon Pegg and Jeremy Renner hold it together nicely with some new blood.

Even though its my third favorite of the series, it is a very effective film that will have great replay. Most importantly, It gives the series the chance to go forth with a fifth film that takes more chances.

But the first was just as entertaining and was one of the most complicated films I have ever seen when I was just 9 years old. This is a great comeback for Cruise and company, but this is easily the Rocky IV of the Bunch (All Style) Luckily Rocky V has already happened in this bunch.

Mission Impossible 9/10
Mission Impossible III 8/10
Mission Impossible IV 7/10
Mission Impossible II 4/10

And Ving rhame's cameo is awkward. Actually almost the whole ending while at one point touching is kind of just 'ok thats odd'

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:06 am
Pure Phase

The ending is a total dud. For one, no one cares about the whole Jeremy Renner/guilt subplot, so no one cares when it wraps up. And Michelle Monaghan's cameo (even though I enjoyed her role in the third) didn't feel very...important.

It should have ended on an awesome note, the way the Bourne movies always did. With Jason Bourne sneaking in one more, "Yep, I'm the best, motherfucker" trick.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:37 am
Sbil

David wrote:
The ending is a total dud. For one, no one cares about the whole Jeremy Renner/guilt subplot, so no one cares when it wraps up. And Michelle Monaghan's cameo (even though I enjoyed her role in the third) didn't feel very...important.

It should have ended on an awesome note, the way the Bourne movies always did. With Jason Bourne sneaking in one more, "Yep, I'm the best, motherfucker" trick.

Speak for yourself. I liked the ending. :)

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:59 am
You must have big rats

Me too, very much so.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:50 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I don't know, maybe the movie would have benefitted from showing what Jeremy thought happened in a flashback as the reveal would have had more of a point. When they see each other, there really is no emotional grab for how much they loved each other in the third film.

Just kind of "Oh Hey, haven't scene you since we divorced but covered it up as me being viciously murdered, I gotta go though"

And this missed a huge opportunity. I think Rhames should have had the role Wilkinson had. I mean he could be conceivably the IMF secretary now. He's also one person Hunt would trust with his Wife and not tell Renner. If he was killed like that it would have been incredibly shocking; then it would have given Cruise and Patton's character much more in common.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:50 am
Pure Phase

People who claim to love the ending are just so in the tank for Brad Bird they can't see straight.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next