Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Moneyball 

What grade would you give this film?
A 85%  85%  [ 11 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Moneyball 
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Moneyball
Magnus wrote:
oh yeah the text at the end of the movie. That completely changes everything. I was so convinced about everything because some letters appeared at the end of the film. If only all films were able to convey their themes through text at the end.

I guess you misread what I wrote, so here it is again.

Quote:
It shows the A's 20 game win streak and them getting into the playoffs. That and the entire last act, including text. How did the scene with Beane meeting the Red Sox brass not show how it affected it at a sport-wide level? Or how the scouts first reacted to Beane?

Magnus wrote:
It was.

The Social Network was about the actual programs that were used to create Facebook? That's odd because I thought the movie was about how the founder's ego inflated causing him to lose everyone around him while creating the most popular website on the planet that lead to him earning billions of dollars. You know, "the man who has everything really has nothing"?

Quote:
In fact, both Social Network and Moneyball are similar in that they actually don't really do a good job of showing the effects of the main subject they are dealing with. TSN doesn't dive that deep at all into actual social-networking, particularly after the beginning.

And neither tried to because Sorkin and Zaillian both were able to recognize that audiences wouldn't give a shit about the main subjects alone. Otherwise both films would've been made into documentaries.

And I just want to be clear. I never said the film did a great job of showing how sabermetrics works. I said that it showed how implementing sabermetrics changed the way baseball has been run for the past decade. I probably could've put this in a more clearer way, but that's what I was getting at.

Johnny Dollar wrote:
And Citizen Kane did a terrible job of showing the effects of publishing a daily newspaper. Awful movie.

:funny:

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

So what did yosh think of Moneyball? I was kind of surprised to read something along the lines of "Don't lump Moneyball in with those crap nominees" in another thread. Did you like Moneyball?! Or just really hate War Horse and EL&IC?

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:53 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Mister Ecks wrote:
So what did yosh think of Moneyball? I was kind of surprised to read something along the lines of "Don't lump Moneyball in with those crap nominees" in another thread. Did you like Moneyball?! Or just really hate War Horse and EL&IC?

both propositions are technically true

(actually i didn't see EL&IC but what kind of monster would?!)

Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:50 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

THIS was the best movie of the nominated 9. Should have won. Pitt was robbed!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:34 am
now we know

I thought this was tremendous. The formula to make a great film is so easy when you see it, but it involves so many elements forging together at the right time and in the right order. You get a solid story, good cast, and a captain. Brad Pitt is as beguiling as ever. Probably one of the last true movie stars out there. Moneyball does something that I love, and that's it focuses on the story at hand. There are one or two glimpses of his daughter, but it spends 99% of its time on baseball. And I don't even like baseball. I know nothing about baseball. But it doesn't matter. This is about business and belief and statistics, and those apply to everything. You can see the difference between this and something like Draft Day where having a care for the game is a prerequisite.

Jonah Hill is endearing. Very good performance. And I chuckled when Brad first ate something while in a conversation. The film was a lot of fun too. I had a good time watching it, and its 133-minute run-time flew by. In a weak year, I am surprised this didn't win any Oscars. Hill could have probably won Supporting, and Sorkin could've won Screenplay, but it was robbed of Editing. Take it from someone that doesn't know or care about baseball - the way it was cut was very accomplished. It was as easy to understand for me as watching a game of snooker, yet it remains a pedigree watch without foregoing the quality. A

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I'm a sucker for a good baseball film. Looking it as a film it's a solid A. But just knowing that this didn't help the team even win a pennant, it kind of misses on the pivotal aspect of the film's emotion. Nobody who knows anything about the sport would love it though.

Algren brought up Draft Day. I don't know why but I like that film more. I guess the thought of the Cleveland Browns having a chance is just pure fiction and took it as such, and this more grounded in reality. Still, great performances, script, and pretty accurate telling of the story.

I'll still take Major League, Rookie of the year, or the Sandlot though as my go to baseball films. I think I even liked the Eastwood film a little better. Dam this seems like a bad review, but its a great film.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2