Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Dead End 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Dead End 
College Boy Z

Post Dead End
Dead End

Quote:
Dead End is a 2003 horror film directed by Jean-Baptiste Andrea and Fabrice Canepa.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:02 pm
Wallflower

DEAD END (2004)

Frank Harrington (Ray Wise - Jeepers Creepers 2) is driving to his mother in-laws one Christmas Eve with his family, including wife Laura (Lin Shaye - Detroit Rock City, There's Something About Mary (as well as all of the other Farrelly Bros. movies), Wes Craven's New Nightmare), son Richard (Mick Cain), daughter Marion (Alexandra Holden - How To Deal, The Hot Chick, In & Out), and her boyfriend Brad (Billy Asher - Christmas With The Kranks), when, bored with taking the same way for 20 years, he decides to take a shortcut. Soon they find themselves in a living nightmare on a never-ending road with something or someone killing them off one by one.

Dead End is a real gem of a horror film. It's fully absorbing from beginning to end and genuinely creepy. This is easily one of the best horror movies I've seen all year, along with Open Water and Ginger Snaps 2, all coming from Lions Gate Films. Lions Gate should have released Dead End in theaters Halloween weekend instead of the overrated Saw. It was a sad Halloween weekend this year with no really good horror films in theaters and having Dead End playing would have certainly made it better. With everyone craving horror for Halloween, it would have been the perfect time to release this baby in theaters and cash in on the holiday. Any other time it wouldn't have done as well; but Halloween weekend almost anything horror-themed will sell if marketed well. Sadly, this excellent little treat got stuck going straight-to-video in the US. What a disappointment!

Dead End has a great atmosphere that's spooky, morbid, and oh-so-fun. I loved the overhead shots of the car going down the long, dark road surrounded by a thick and seemingly endless forest. It did wonders for the film and was quite creepy. It had a smaller budget but managed to be way more creepy than most of the bigger Hollywood horror movies. I think having a limited budget definitely helped make this movie better. By being more suggestive and not showing everything, like it definitely would have done had it had a bigger budget to work with, we got to use our imagination and it just made the whole experience feel that much more sinister.

I love Alexandra Holden. I think she's absolutely adorable. After seeing her in recent movies such as How To Deal and The Hot Chick, it was a little hard at first getting used to her being skinnier in this movie. I was actually kind of disappointed at first. I've seen her skinnier in other stuff before, but I prefer how she looked in How To Deal and The Hot Chick. She was by no means fat in those movies, just a little chubbier. This girl is absolutely adorable and looks much better when she's not quite as skinny. She was especially cute-as-a-button in How To Deal. That being said, I still loved her here. She was very likable as Marion and gave a very solid performance. While she was my favorite of everyone, I must say that Lin Shaye gives the best performance. She has the most to do though in terms of acting so it's obvious why her performance stood out. She's especially good when her character goes a little nutty, which was both funny and slightly irritating at times. I'm mixed on Mick Cain. He did a good job (and did seem like an actual obnoxious teenager, which is good considering he's playing a character that is almost half his age), yet his character was both funny and annoying, and not easy to like. I especially didn't like his character when he revealed what he did to his sister's hamster. Ray Wise was good as well. He was a little over-the-top at times, but it's obvious the movie was going for that because some of the other actors do as well and it wasn't in a bad way, it just had that feel to it like that was the way it was supposed to be. And even though he's not in it all that much, I did like Billy Asher as Brad.

Dead End was absolutely great up until the end. The twist was a major cop-out. It has been done before and it just disappoints here. It has worked before in other movies, but it felt out of place this time and drags down what was otherwise a smart and creepy little film. ********SPOILERS******** The twist tries to be smart and clever but here it just seemed like a way to get out of having to explain anything. In the question of whether what we see happen really happened or not there's going to be plot-holes either way. The twist reminded me of the twist in Soul Survivors, except I thought that it worked really well there and everything seemed to make sense, but it wasn't welcome here and it leaves too many questions that aren't answered because it seems the filmmakers themselves wouldn't know how to answer them. And the twist ruins the creepiness. The film was dark and spooky and it would have been all the more chilling if the events we see actually happened. This twist is a big disappointment and not smart like it wants to appear, it's actually rather stupid. ********END SPOILERS******** While I still loved the movie and the twist didn't ruin it like some can, it was still rather disappointing that they took this route. I wish they had gone a different way.

Aside from a disappointing twist ending, Dead End is a highly fun and eerie low-key horror film that reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode (not a particular one) with a pinch of David Lynch. It's old-school horror most of the way but with a more modern (and poor for this movie) twist. It's one of the best horror movies of the year and it's a shame it didn't get a theatrical release in the US. Both delightfully spooky and funny, this is a "dead end" worth taking.

Grade: 8/10 (B+)

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:54 pm
You must have big rats

Anyone who likes a good and scary horror movie should check this one out. It is certainly one of the best horror movies released in the last couple of years and it ranks as one of the five scariest movies I have ever seen. Moreover, it is also the best DTV movie ever. Decent acting, an interesting plot, but it's the atmosphere and the scares that did it to me. Seriously, this one will get under your skin and not let you go till the very end. I had some issues with the ending of the movie, but until then it's horror at its finest.

And if you don't believe me, ask makeshift! ;)

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:05 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

The atmosphere is superb and what makes the movie work so well.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:24 pm
Forum General

I've had this movie on my computer forever. I'll have to watch it sometime.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

Didn't like it at all. Thought it was ridiculous from beginning to end. It's poorly made, even for a DTV flick. And, the ending? Oh, god. That had to be one of the worst endings to a mediocre film.

Lecter, this was one of the five scariest films you've ever seen?

:sad:

Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:00 am
You must have big rats

Hate to disagree, Lecter... but I do.

Didn't like it at all. Thought it was ridiculous from beginning to end. It's poorly made, even for a DTV flick. And, the ending? Oh, god. That had to be one of the worst endings to a mediocre film.

Lecter, this was one of the five scariest films you've ever seen?

:sad:

Yep, actually it is. I knew you'd have problems with the ending. That is the reason I did not give it a better grade. But before that I thought it was extremely well-done and haunting, not to mention scary.

Certainly scarier than any horror movie I have seen this year and last except for Shutter.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Certainly scarier than any horror movie I have seen this year and last except for Shutter.

Still gotta watch that.

Maybe over my winter break next week.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:54 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Still gotta watch that.

Maybe over my winter break next week.

Now if you don't like that one my faith in you is lost, Zing. :(

; )

Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]