Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 House of Sand and Fog 

What grade would you give this film?
A 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
D 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

House of Sand and Fog 
College Boy Z

Post House of Sand and Fog
House of Sand and Fog

Quote:
House of Sand and Fog is a 2003 American drama film directed by Vadim Perelman. The screenplay by Perelman and Shawn Lawrence Otto is based on the novel of the same name by Andre Dubus III.

The story concerns the battle between a young woman and an immigrant Iranian family over the ownership of a house in Northern California. The film was nominated for three Academy Awards, Best Actor (Ben Kingsley), Best Supporting Actress (Shohreh Aghdashloo), and Best Original Score (James Horner).

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:38 pm
Extraordinary

Great movie. Ben Kingsley is fantastic here, one of the best performances of 2003. - A-

Last edited by publicenemy#1 on Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:19 am
Veteran

Good but not great. I would say Ben Kingsley was great however. Shohreh Ahgdashloo was impressive also. Jennifer Connelly continues to give solid performances. She's easy on the eyes too, even in a non-glamorous role. I rate it B.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:12 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

B

Good Movie, but not one im to crazy about seeing again.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Superb acting and a completely moving, engaging drama. Everyone in the movie is wonderful, and Jennifer was robed of an Oscar nom.

A

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

If it weren't for that cutie Jennifer Connelly (I could look at her hang dog, on-the-verge-of-tears expressions forever!), this movie would go on my all-time worst list, for wasting such a promising premise and Ben Kingsley's massive talent...

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:08 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

A haunting, powerful and effective film with fantastic performances.

8/10 (B+)

Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:24 pm
Profile YIM
College Boy Z

:wub:

Uh, and the movie was great, too. B+

Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:13 pm
Forum General

I thought Jennifer Connelly's character turned a couple corners a little too quickly (mad then mad then ATTEMPTED SUICIDE), and I thought the end was almost over-the-top (almost nauseating, in fact), but overall a powerful, well-acted, nicely shot film.

And Shohreh Aghdashloo should have won the supporting actress Oscar.

B+

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

House of Sand and Fog is a stunning dissection of the American Dream and how quickly it can turn into a nightmare. The acting from the two leads, Jennifer Connelly and Ben Kingsley, is brilliant. Kingsley got a deserved Oscar nomination and Connelly should've gotten one too. In a supporting performance, Shohreh Aghdashloo is nothing short of amazing and also deserved her nomination. The only weak link is Ron Eldard, who I felt gave an unnecessarily jarring performance. House of Sand and Fog is gripping and a hard movie to forget. A

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:19 am
Squee

I hated the ending to this movie sooooooooooo much.

*SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS*

There are a lot of times when I jokingly "spoil" an ending to a movie when someone says "I havent seen it yet, dont spoil anything!" by saying "Everyone dies at the end." This is one of the few movies where my joke spoiling of the ending actually applies. (not counting horror) Hated that ending sooooo much.

*SPOILERS ENDED*

Anyway, other than the ending I found the movie to be pretty solid.

C

:glare:

Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:38 am
We had our time together

I thought Jennifer Connelly's character turned a couple corners a little too quickly (mad then mad then ATTEMPTED SUICIDE), and I thought the end was almost over-the-top (almost nauseating, in fact), but overall a powerful, well-acted, nicely shot film.

And Shohreh Aghdashloo should have won the supporting actress Oscar.

B+

I agree. :smile:

Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Another Jennifer Connelly ( :wub: ) film that I've yet to see. :sad:

Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:37 pm
You must have big rats

A splendid film and a huge surprise to me. It was released here in 2005, about 18 months after its US-release. I saw it in theatres and it blew me away. While I agree that some things were overdone and rushed, the overall hauntingly depressing tone of the movie was extremely well-done. I have rarely seen such a depressing and sad film. The ending is extremely powerful and Ben Kingsley certainly deserved that Best Actor nom in what is his best turn in at least ten years. His break-down at the end is devastating. Jennifer Connelly is very impressive as well and should have gotten a Best Actress nom. Shoreh Aghdashloo was great, even though I prefered Zellweger's performance in that year. The whole film deserved more exposure and recognition as it is one of the immensly powerful small almost-masterpieces. Far superior to several recent BP-nominees like Babel, Ray, Capote, Master and Commander, Seabiscuit, GNGL etc.

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

House of Sand and Fog is a stunning dissection of the American Dream and how quickly it can turn into a nightmare.

Don't ask me why but I laughed out loud when I read this.

Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:02 pm
life begins now

One of my favorite films of 2003. The acting is simply amazing, from Ben Kingsley to Jennifer Connelly, ho should have been nominated for Best Actress, to Shoreh Aghdashloo, who I feel should have won over Zellweger. The book is indeed better, but that's usually how it goes. The ending is quite tragic.

A-

Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:12 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

Libs wrote:
House of Sand and Fog is a stunning dissection of the American Dream and how quickly it can turn into a nightmare.

Why? It's...accurate.

Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:33 pm
Squee

MovieDude wrote:
Libs wrote:

Why? It's...accurate.

He said don't ask!

:glare:

Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:38 pm
Where will you be?

MovieDude wrote:
Libs wrote:

Why? It's...accurate.

Absolutely it is, and I thought it was a fine film, but something about that concept just strikes me as humorously melodramtic. I can just hear that deep voiced guy from the horror movie commercials saying that in a voiceover.

Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:51 pm
now we know

Post Re: House of Sand and Fog
Superb film. It's about a woman that is wrongly evicted from her house (though I am not sure she is because when in the lawyer's office Kathy says the house was left to her and her brother, so in my mind that was where the unpaid business taxes came from -- her brother, who she later has a call with and he's working on his business) and an Iranian family buys it and moves in, and she tries to get it back. It's the premise of an early 90s thriller like The Hand That Rocks the Cradle or something. I've missed that type of film, so I was over the moon to finally see this. I have wanted to see this film for years (based on the cover alone) despite not knowing anything about it. Glad I've caught up on it.

Connelly is an actress that I've never cared for before but she's fantastic in this, as is Kingsley who is just perfect. He might be one of the only actors that can change between British and Middle Easter with such ease. It's a high-quality production. Kingsley as lead, Connolly also as lead, James Horner on drums, and Roger Deakins as cinematographer.

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]