Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Thor 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 18 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 30

Thor 
loyalfromlondon

Post Thor
Thor

Quote:
Thor is a 2011 American superhero film based on the comic book character of the same name published by Marvel Comics. It is the fourth film released as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The film was directed by Kenneth Branagh, written by Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz and Don Payne, and stars Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins and Stellan Skarsgård. The film tells the story of Thor, a god who is exiled from his homeland of Asgard to Earth. While there, he builds a relationship with scientist Jane Foster. However, Thor must stop his brother Loki, who intends to become the new king of Asgard.

Director Sam Raimi first developed the concept of a film adaptation of Thor in 2001, but soon abandoned the project, leaving it in "development hell" for several years. During this time, the rights were picked up by various film studios until Marvel Studios signed Mark Protosevich to develop the project in 2006, and the project was set up at Paramount Pictures. Matthew Vaughn was originally assigned to direct the film for a tentative 2010 release. However, after Vaughn was released from his holding deal in 2008, Branagh was approached and the film's release was rescheduled into 2011. The main characters were cast in 2009, and principal photography took place in California and New Mexico from January to May 2010. The film was converted to 3D in post-production.

Thor was released on April 21, 2011 in Australia and on May 6, 2011 in the United States. The film became a financial and critical success, grossing over $448 million worldwide and "Certified Fresh" by the review-aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes. A sequel set for a July 26, 2013 release date is in development.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun May 01, 2011 11:25 am
100% That Bitch

Post Re: Thor
B+

Despite the horrible trailers and tv promos the movie was great and it was much more funny than I thought It'd be.

The only problem with is that the big action scene on the earth isnt..... espectacular.

Despite this being a "Thor" movie, my favorite scene in the movie has to be:
Spoiler: show
when they were on the roof right after S.H.I.E.L.D. took all of her research and the chick kept ranting about her iPod.

One last thought: Natalie Portman is really flawless.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun May 01, 2011 5:22 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Thor does a good job mixing both worlds it is set in for a satisfying and very enjoyable ride. It is much more low-key than the Iron Man or other Marvel films but it still has some very solid action scenes. Chris Hemsworth is very strong as Thor and he makes a character that is both very aggressive but charming at the same time. The entire look of Asgard is pretty spectacular and adds richness to the whole film. At the same time, the film doesn't go overboard with the entire SHIELD stuff like was done in Iron Man 2. It doesn't quite pass the first Iron Man but it is close. ***1/2

Sun May 01, 2011 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

With Thor, Kenneth Branagh, often thought of as Laurence Olivier's successor, turns from Shakespeare to Marvel Comics. A decade ago, this might have seemed strange, but now it is commonplace for such popcorn-film properties to be entrusted to directors with art-house credibility. The results are not always positive--Marc Forster (Monster's Ball) badly fumbled Quantum of Solace--but the prospect of another Christopher Nolan (from Memento to Batman Begins) or Alfonso Cuarón (Y tu mamá también to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) type success story is too enticing to deny. So how has Branagh, he of the legendary 70-millimeter '90s version of Hamlet and, more recently, the Harold Pinter-penned revisiting of Sleuth, fared in his superhero jaunt? To be brief: well. Though imperfect and not as intelligent or rousing as, say, Bryan Singer's X2 or Nolan's The Dark Knight, this is a damn fine summer film.

I feel it's fair to say Thor is at best a mid-level superhero in the grand Marvel canon. While well-known, he is nowhere near as iconic as Spider-Man, Wolverine, or the Incredible Hulk. And due to his mythology-derived nature, he is not as easy to relate to as Peter Parker or Bruce Banner; they are everyday, flesh-and-blood men who struggle with the benefits and dangers of their newly found powers (nerd empowerment and subsequent angst sells very, very well), whereas Thor, with his piercing blue eyes and ripped muscles, is an idealized prince of Asgard and an immortal. Branagh's Thor responds to this fact in two ways: the plot begins with the prideful and glory-hungry Thor, played here by Australian Chris Hemsworth, being deprived of his powers by his father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins), and sent to earth to learn humility. So it's the story of a superhuman losing everything--including his ability to wield a magic hammer--in order to become a true hero. Branagh also laces the film with heavy doses of fish-out-of-water comedy, with Thor's boastfulness and antiquated phrasings being contrasted with the bewildered scientists, including an obligatory love interest played by Natalie Portman, who find him after his fall from Asgard. I would even argue the laughs are more potent and memorable than the action sequences and special effects.

Which isn't to say Thor is short on impressive action and effects. There is stylish excitement to be had, except, strangely enough, most of it is found in the film's first half. A prologue establishing tensions between the people of Asgard and fierce ice monsters reminded me of the first few minutes of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, an almost overwhelming (and quite enthralling) blend of battle sequences and plot information. And a rain-swept fight sequence pitting Thor against a S.H.I.E.L.D. security guard is quick, brutal, well-choreographed, and, in a refreshing change of pace, shot clearly and crisply by Branagh. The third-act action, including an earth-set struggle between Thor and his band of immortals and a machine reminiscent of The Day the Earth Stood Still's Gort, is slightly underwhelming by comparison, both too brief and undermined by the villainous Loki's (Tom Hiddleston) fairly pointless grand scheme.

The members of the ensemble cast turn in fine performances. As Thor, Chris Hemsworth is a great find. His charismatic intensity reminded me of a young Russell Crowe, and there were audible female reactions during his big shirtless scene. I'm excited to see him reprise the role in The Avengers. Hopkins devours the scenery and then demands seconds as the one-eyed Odin, but Rene Russo (where has she been?) is squandered and visibly bored as Thor's mother. Recent Oscar winner Portman is decent in a less-than-spectacular role and shares a fresh, appealing chemistry with Hemsworth. The most striking female presence, however, is Jaimie Alexander as Asgard's premiere female warrior. I wonder if she'll also return in The Avengers? I hope so. Oh, and on the subject of The Avengers, watch for an amusing, well-integrated cameo by Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, a character we'll obviously see again.

The most distracting flaw in Thor is Branagh's heavy use of Dutch angles. This sounds harsher than intended, but I haven't seen so many tilted angles in an action film since, gulp, Battlefield Earth. Now and then Branagh will use one to show us the scope of a location in an interesting way, but several others fall flat. Style for style's sake and unnecessary. Branagh redeems himself behind the camera, however, by avoiding any Michael Bay-style rapid-fire cutting and extreme closeups, annoying staples of many modern films and a style only a few, notably Paul Greengrass, can do perfectly.

So, the mighty Thor has leapt from page to screen, and fans can breathe a sigh of relief. Branagh, Hemsworth, and the rest have laid a solid foundation with this first entry. It's flawed in several respects, to be sure, but a success overall. And now it's on to Captain America in Marvel's mad march to Joss Whedon's Avengers.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 01, 2011 9:26 pm
Wallflower

I'm surprised Hemsworth is good in this. He doesn't seem like he would be from the ads. Is Portman not in it much? She's the main reason I'll see it on Blu-ray.

Sun May 01, 2011 11:38 pm
We had our time together

I liked it, it was fun. Hemsworth was actually a pretty good choice as Thor but Portman was wasted. The action was nice, but the scenes at Asgard were a bit too video gameish for me. B

Mon May 02, 2011 5:30 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Mike wrote:
I'm surprised Hemsworth is good in this. He doesn't seem like he would be from the ads. Is Portman not in it much? She's the main reason I'll see it on Blu-ray.

She's in it lots. She's just the love interest, of course, so it's not a very interesting role. She has a couple very cute moments, though, and doesn't go into her Wooden Princess Amidala Mode.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Mon May 02, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 02, 2011 12:13 pm
Wallflower

Glad she is. I'd read she wasn't in it much.

Mon May 02, 2011 5:07 pm
Forum General

Hiddleston is fucking fantastic btw. Marvel has never had a better villain. Too bad the script was weak but he did excellent anyway.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Tue May 03, 2011 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

BK wrote:
Hiddleston is fucking fantastic btw. Marvel has never had a better villain. Too bad the script was weak but he did excellent anyway.

Yep. At first I didn't like the idea of The Avengers recycling Thor's villain, but now I'm glad.

It's a fun film. Not perfect, and the romance is seriously undercooked, but Hemsworth is quite good. I liked it better than The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2.

Tue May 03, 2011 4:56 pm
Forum General

The Dark Shape wrote:
BK wrote:

Yep. At first I didn't like the idea of The Avengers recycling Thor's villain, but now I'm glad.

It's a fun film. Not perfect, and the romance is seriously undercooked, but Hemsworth is quite good. I liked it better than The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2.

I don't follow superheroes but whaaaaaat? They're using him as the villain?

I mean, he was great, I'd love to see more of him, but that seems kind of lame.

Romance was awful, I agree, also agree that Hemsworth was great, not as good as Hiddleston but charismatic. IM2 was a real mess. I liked TIH but can't remember much now.

Madagascar 3 Under 100m

Tue May 03, 2011 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yeah, Loki's the baddie in The Avengers. That's what the post-credits scene is setting up.

My problem with the romance isn't that it's undercooked -- I mean, I sort of expected that -- but it leaves Thor's big decision to sever the bridge without consequence. That should be sort of a giant moment, but it wasn't.

Tue May 03, 2011 5:56 pm
Pure Phase

Loki's big plan was so lame. Oh, no, don't destroy all those super-evil Jeepers Creepers lookin' motherfuckers. That's so mean! Super low stakes.

They should've had him trying to destroy earth.

That and the Dutch angles were my biggest issues with this otherwise very entertaining movie.

Tue May 03, 2011 8:00 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Gunslinger wrote:
Loki's big plan was so lame. Oh, no, don't destroy all those super-evil Jeepers Creepers lookin' motherfuckers. That's so mean! Super low stakes.

They should've had him trying to destroy earth.

That and the Dutch angles were my biggest issues with this otherwise very entertaining movie.

That's what The AVENGERS setup basically is involving LOKI and the Cube..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

The Dark Shape wrote:
Yeah, Loki's the baddie in The Avengers. That's what the post-credits scene is setting up.

My problem with the romance isn't that it's undercooked -- I mean, I sort of expected that -- but it leaves Thor's big decision to sever the bridge without consequence. That should be sort of a giant moment, but it wasn't.

How does Captain America fit into all this? Guess I'll find out in July. Don't tell me.

Just going to voice out how lame that Captain America doesn't "exist" from Iron Man through Thor but his story takes place during World War 1. (or 2?)

Read the Faraci review of Thor, which I don't really agree with. Thor's a really enjoyable movie and the performances, effects and humour in parts for me overcome the script. Although SHIELD is pathetic and only exists for fanboy orgasms, I didn't feel it was out of place, or detracted, mainly because Iron Man 2 already set them up as fucking meddlers that are bound to turn up again.

In Iron Man 2 however, I along with other mainstream viewers I'm sure, were expecting a sequel to Iron Man, much like the sequel to Batman Begins or Spider Man or even X-Men, not pre-Avengers fanboy orgasm time. Samuel Jackson? Fuck him. The whole story was such overcooked or maybe undercooked, who knows, trash. My heart is failing, I become asshole, SAM JACKSON, where is my futher, roll credits.

Madagascar 3 Under 100m

Wed May 04, 2011 6:48 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

How is the 3D in Thor? I was planning on seeing it in 2D, but it seems like almost every showing is going to be 3D. I don't really want to shell out the extra dough unless there's lots of cool depth and swooping shots. Thoughts?

Wed May 04, 2011 9:16 am

BK wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

How does Captain America fit into all this? Guess I'll find out in July. Don't tell me.

Just going to voice out how lame that Captain America doesn't "exist" from Iron Man through Thor but his story takes place during World War 1. (or 2?)

Read the Faraci review of Thor, which I don't really agree with. Thor's a really enjoyable movie and the performances, effects and humour in parts for me overcome the script. Although SHIELD is pathetic and only exists for fanboy orgasms, I didn't feel it was out of place, or detracted, mainly because Iron Man 2 already set them up as fucking meddlers that are bound to turn up again.

In Iron Man 2 however, I along with other mainstream viewers I'm sure, were expecting a sequel to Iron Man, much like the sequel to Batman Begins or Spider Man or even X-Men, not pre-Avengers fanboy orgasm time. Samuel Jackson? Fuck him. The whole story was such overcooked or maybe undercooked, who knows, trash. My heart is failing, I become asshole, SAM JACKSON, where is my futher, roll credits.

That's how it's done.. That's how you setup future franchises.. That's why your not in charge and WARNER BROS and DC Entertainment are behind the eight ball on this whole thing and MARVEL has their shit together.. Everyone bitches about IRONMAN 2 and in the end, it was just as good as the 1st movie minus yours and everyone elses preconceived notions or inflated expectations that ruined it for ya.. The AVENGERS will kick major ass and all these tie ins with the movies we've seen thus far will be better appreciated.. Nolan could've been introducing Clark Kent or Hal Jordan in TDK cameo of sorts, but was too big a pussy to pull the trigger and do something bold like that...

Wed May 04, 2011 9:55 am
Profile WWW

MovieDude wrote:
How is the 3D in Thor? I was planning on seeing it in 2D, but it seems like almost every showing is going to be 3D. I don't really want to shell out the extra dough unless there's lots of cool depth and swooping shots. Thoughts?

If you can, see THOR in 2D.. Your not missing a great deal, but the 3D is probably a little better than it was for Clash of the Titans if that means anything..

Wed May 04, 2011 9:57 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Dr. BK Banner wrote:
MovieDude wrote:

If you can, see THOR in 2D.. Your not missing a great deal, but the 3D is probably a little better than it was for Clash of the Titans if that means anything..

It doesn't. I've heard Clash of the Titans had absolutely bottom-of-the-barrel 3D. I'm assuming Thor's 3D is on par with Green Hornet, another movie that had lots of time for post-conversion. There the 3D was cool for about ten minutes, and unnoticeable the other 105.

And I also have to disagree with you on Iron Man 2. Sure, every individual scene was fun, but there wasn't much of a story. Iron Man was a great origin story that kicked off with a great opening scene. It built up momentum well, and while I'll admit the ending is a little weak, it had a much better structure than Iron Man 2. Tony Stark barely even knows that Ivon Drago is around and kicking after he first gets his ass whooped. There was no tension, and nothing for Stark to do. It's a fun film, but I'd put it a solid letter grade below the first film (which is still not bad considering Iron Man was awesome :thumbsup: )

Wed May 04, 2011 10:18 am
Pure Phase

Iron Man 2 was a huge disappointment. It's a fact: they let teasing The Avengers get in the way of crafting an entertaining Iron Man film. A total mess. And Mickey Rourke's villain blew.

Thor is very much its own film with its own voice, even with the references to S.H.I.E.L.D., the Hawkeye cameo, and other nods. They're subtle and well-integrated, not distracting.

Wed May 04, 2011 2:02 pm
ef star star kay

I think the romance part is well done, almost felt like watching a romantic comedy. Of course, maybe that's just me.

B

Thu May 05, 2011 6:53 am
Where will you be?

But how's the 3D?!? :-k Honestly, I'd like to hear an opinion, and right now its sounding like an afterthought.

Thu May 05, 2011 8:31 am

MovieDude wrote:
But how's the 3D?!? :-k Honestly, I'd like to hear an opinion, and right now its sounding like an afterthought.

There are some standout moments from the use of the 3D in this movie, particularly the
Spoiler: show
Rainbow Bridge and the battle with the Frost Giants looks good..
Other than that, 2D is just as good and less $$$ to fork out...

Thu May 05, 2011 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

3D starts off good and becomes anonymous.

Don't really care for it but it was the only option.

Also, the Hawkeye bit was stupid as hell. I only knew he was Hawkeye cause the papers said Renner will play him.

What a useless bit of tease. Renner sucks as well.

Madagascar 3 Under 100m

Thu May 05, 2011 11:29 am
Profile WWW

BK wrote:
3D starts off good and becomes anonymous.

Don't really care for it but it was the only option.

Also, the Hawkeye bit was stupid as hell. I only knew he was Hawkeye cause the papers said Renner will play him.

What a useless bit of tease. Renner sucks as well.

You all complain it's stupid, but that's how you set up future franchises.. It's smart and Renner owns you bitches..

Thu May 05, 2011 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next