Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Tangled 

What grade would you give this film?
A 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Tangled 
loyalfromlondon

Post Tangled
Tangled

Quote:
Tangled is a 2010 American computer animated fantasy musical/comedy film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios. It is the 50th animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series. The film features the voices of Mandy Moore, Zachary Levi and Donna Murphy and is loosely based on the German fairy tale "Rapunzel" by the Brothers Grimm.

The film was originally titled and marketed as Rapunzel until it was changed to Tangled shortly before its release. It premiered in theatres and in 3D cinemas on November 24, 2010, after six years of production and a cost that has been estimated at $260 million which, if accurate, would make it the most expensive animated film ever made.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:34 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Tangled
I went to see Barbie vs. Thunderbirds Tangled tonight and ended up being quite repulsed.

Sure there's plenty of sass and charm laid down by the actors (Mandy!) and more intermittently by the screenplay (Fogelman?), but the needlessly 3D animation (even though I was fortunate enough to see it in 2D) was distracting in it's primitiveness. This technology needs to evolve by another couple of powers of ten to approach the realm of realmity. The backgrounds and many stylish artistic flourishes are wasted on this 3D canvas, because the cgi foreground is just so darn fakoid. When it finally gets to the climatic "Night of the Glowing Marshmallows", the 3D technique shows itself for the sham it is - - it is pathetic.

Worth watching for a couple of good musical numbers (Meh-nken.) and, of course, just the plain dark curiosity to witness the horror of this level of 3D cgi animation in 2010.

My hope is that they can salvage the data and repurpose the animation to a classic 2D style with some of the same verve that's sporadically evident here. With a little luck and skilled repair Disney's Rapunzel Tangled could yet be a classic Disney cartoon - - let's just pray to see this "emancipated version" available on the DVD. As it stands, it's really rather unpleasant.

2 out of 5.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:31 am
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
Thanks Bradley for validating my review.

No problemo! Anytime you feel the need to have your opinions validated, please feel free to read my reviews. :)

Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:07 pm
Sbil

Beautiful animation and full of spirit. I probably liked this only a smidgen less than last year's The Princess and the Frog, and Disney should be commended on putting a fresh spin on the Rapunzel tale. The voice casting is perfect: Mandy Moore's bubbly personality comes through, while Zachary Levi and Donna Murphy's more anonymous voices fit well. The music by Menken and co. isn't extremely memorable, although I liked "When Will My Life Begin" and "I See the Light." A-

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:40 pm
Extraordinary

Tangled felt like a Disney Princess Movie Mad Libs where you plug in all the traditional plot points and songs and viola! You have a movie.

Predictable in every way.

Worth seeing, but not worth buying the DVD.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

A+, it's freaking great

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:11 pm
Profile WWW

It's about the same quality as Despicable Me (although in entirely different respects) passable but extremely disposable. Doesn't touch the excellent Princess and the Frog, and the wrong direction for Disney.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:53 pm
ef star star kay

Flynn Rider is hot!

Film is fun! Great fun!

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:40 pm
loyalfromlondon

Crappy songs and a lame plot. Definitely a far cry from those early '90s classics.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:58 pm
Sbil

Interestingly enough, the past Disney movie that Brave most reminded me of was Tangled. This one holds up pretty well upon repeat viewings.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:29 am
Ocarina of Time

Tangled is great and I really liked but Brave is far superior and better

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:40 am
Hold the door!

Tangled is really great with an intriguing story, even if the soundtrack is hot or miss, mainly due to Mandy Moore's weak voice. Really though, this is my favorite Disney animation since The Lion King. I don't think Frozen is as good as Tangled.

A+

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:50 pm
Extraordinary

Just rewatched this. A lot better than I give it credit.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:58 am
The Kramer

Maximus :wub2:

A. One of the bigger surprises in the excellent year of 2010.

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:13 pm
On autopilot for the summer

A surprise among a dismal Disney period. Pure formula. Nothing on the classics. But a step in the right direction.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:12 pm
Ocarina of Time

zwackerm wrote:
Tangled is really great with an intriguing story, Really though, this is my favorite Disney animation since The Lion King. I don't think Frozen is as good as Tangled.

A+

Agree

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:44 pm
Hold the door!

Yeah, this still holds up really well. If the soundtrack weren't so weak it would be on par with the classics. The animation is really gorgeous, possibly more gorgeous than in other recent Disney films that came after. Despite the relatively small story involving only three main characters, the film feels BIG and epic.

Still an A+

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 pm
Hold the door!

This movie only gets better with age. Nails the tone of the best Disney movies to a tee while also feeling fresh and it’s own thing. The soundtrack isn’t Disney’s best, and Flynn Rider seems like the animators were trying too hard to make an audience favorite character. But that’s really the only weakness here. The story and villain are top notch, the animation finally rivals the richness of their 2D films, lots of great action and humor that flows from the story and characters and doesn’t feel forced. Definitely in the top 5 Disney films for me.

Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:28 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

The middle act and some of the songs don't work for me specially the one in the Inn but overall this is a really great movie. The characters are all fleshed out and the ending is heartfelt. It is definitely a top tier Disney movie though I wish the songs had a more lasting effect other than "I See the Light".

A-

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]