Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A Serious Man 

What grade would you give this film?
A 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17

A Serious Man 

Post A Serious Man
A Serious Man

Quote:
A Serious Man is a 2009 black comedy film written, produced, and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen. The film stars Michael Stuhlbarg, Sari Lennick, Fred Melamed, and Richard Kind and tells the story of an ordinary man who is trying to find balance and understanding in the world, loosely based on the story of Job. The film has attracted a highly positive critical response, including a Golden Globe nomination for Stuhlbarg, a place on both the American Film Institute's and National Board of Review's Top 10 Film Lists of 2009, and a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Picture.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: A Serious Man
I knew nothing about this film going in other than it was from the Coens, and I immediately became immersed in the film's story. The movie is hilarious and deceptively layered. In many ways, it's as deep as No Country for Old Men was. Using Jewish culture in the 1960s Midwest as a backdrop of an exploration of human order (and chaos), A Serious Man is probably the most thematically mature film that the Coens have made. It appears it might be a more modern-day retelling of the Book of Job, but that seems like too lazy of a comparison; there's more going on than meets the eye. The film is brilliant directed, filmed and scored. Roger Deakins' cinematography is mostly unsettling and creates an interesting contrast with much of the film's comedy. The acting is excellent from all involved, including a phenomenal lead performance from Michael Stuhlbarg. And yes, as some others have mentioned, the ambiguous ending (perhaps even more abrupt than No Country for Old Men's was) is pitch-perfect. A Serious Man is certainly in the upper echelon of Coen Bros. movies and a must-see. A

Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:40 am
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

I absolutely loved it. My 2nd favorite Coen brothers film behind No Country For Old Men.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:30 pm
The Wall

6/10 -> C

The introduction story was great. Though I have no idea how it's connected to the movie. I' actually rather watch some kind of a dibuk story than what followed.

The idea of a man having bad things happen to him without any apparent reason is not bad. And with Coens at the helm it definitely doesn't sound bad at all. But there was something missing. The comedy wasn't that good, the characters were good, but they all lacked a certain something that Coen characters usually have.

Until the end I expected something big to happen. But nothing happened.

It's all right, but Coens have done better than this times before.

Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:07 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

be.redy wrote:

Someone else suggested the film had no payoff; literally the only way a conscious person could come to that conclusion would have been if they'd walked out before it was over. Honestly.

Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:30 am
The Wall

Pay-off aren't necessary in every movie and I never said I wanted a pay off. I'm watching a Coen movie after all, and I'm fine with abrupt endings.

It's just that I feel that all of its parts have been done better already and the sum of them just don't come together quite well. That's all.

Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

be.redy wrote:
Pay-off aren't necessary in every movie and I never said I wanted a pay off. I'm watching a Coen movie after all, and I'm fine with abrupt endings.

It's just that I feel that all of its parts have been done better already and the sum of them just don't come together quite well. That's all.

yoshue wrote:
be.redy wrote:

Someone else suggested the film had no payoff; literally the only way a conscious person could come to that conclusion would have been if they'd walked out before it was over. Honestly.

I don't really agree with either of you... But I did LOVE the ending. (Spoilers follow)

For most of the running time, I was impressed with the Coen Bros expectedly meticulous framing, editing, yadda yadda. They're pros, and in A Serious Man they make be at the peak of their game in terms of craft. But I did keep wondering why we had to endure Larry's tortures. Every single character seems to exist just to spite, annoy, or badger him. You can understand why Larry keeps wondering "Why him?"

When that phone call rings, we suddenly realize why we're introduced to him at the doctors. More importantly, so many random moments - the dreams, Sy's fatal car accident - suddenly become no less than messages from God. When I realized everything that had been happening to Larry was in fact a warning, the whole movie felt startling profound. And really, really heavy.

I think if there's any one thing the Coen Bros can lack, it's heart. Even at their most wonderfully whimsical (The Hudsucker Proxy) their characters may not resonate as emotionally as they should. It seems like the ending could have packed even more of a punch if they had let Larry and his son have some positive moments together. There's a wonderful irony in that the highpoint of Larry's life in the film is his son getting Bar Mitzvahed while blazing high. But for the symmetry to really hit home, I'd have liked to see some sign his son actually felt some remote amount of empathy towards his dad. The ending would still be a sucker punch, but to the gut, not just the face, if that makes any sense.

Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:17 pm
The Wall

MovieDude wrote:
For most of the running time, I was impressed with the Coen Bros expectedly meticulous framing, editing, yadda yadda. They're pros, and in A Serious Man they make be at the peak of their game in terms of craft.

It's all Deakins I'm afraid. He was missed in Burn After Reading.

Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:24 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

A Serious Man is one of the Coen Brothers' best films to date ranking up there with "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" The theme of misery adapted from the Book of Job is interpreted wonderfully and in such a dark, yet funny light. Michael Stuhlbarg shines in the crowd as he adds so much character to one that is put in so many dull situations. Many of his reactions to the scenarios around him are priceless (especially a line involving his daughter getting a supposed nosejob, "What there will be no nosejobs in this house!"). The most notable of the strong supporting cast was Aaron Wolff as Danny. The storyline that revolves around him can be a bit confusing at first but once reflected on, it fits well within the story. The opening and closing will get there own interpretations from those who watch it and that is one of the film's stronger points (both opening and ending by the way are masterfully done). In the end, A Serious Man is a truly great comedy. ****

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Best film of 2009 and, in my opinion, the Coen's very best.

A

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 am
Top Poster

A, this movie is the real deal. My favorite Coens Brothers movie, slightly ahead of The Hudsucker Proxy.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I was bored to no end with this one.

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:45 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

A SERIOUS MAN - 7/10 (B-)

There are definitely some interesting ideas here, but I'm not sure I completely "get it." It's funny, it's fairly entertaining, and Michael Stuhlbarg is really good, but I just wasn't crazy about it. I feel like I'm missing something. As it stands though, in my opinion, it's one of the weaker movies by the Coen brothers. Maybe I'll understand it more with another viewing. Still, it's certainly not bad.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:23 am
The Dark Knight

I was bored to no end with this one.

English Patient bored or bored?

I want to see this.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:47 am
loyalfromlondon

There is absolutely nothing boring about this.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:12 pm
Cream of the Crop

But there is not a single explosion, the ending doesn't make sense and it didn't really make alot of money.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
You are waiting for a train

1. The only way the ending couldn't have made sense is if you didn't understand it.
2. What the hell does money have to do with it?

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:06 pm
Full Fledged Member

Gopher wrote:
1. The only way the ending couldn't have made sense is if you didn't understand it.

lol

This is a fine film, not the orgasm inducing peak of their career that some claim, that is of course fargo, but a fine film.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:19 pm
Cream of the Crop

Gopher wrote:

And what about the explosion??

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

if you guys are looking for a version of this with more special effects and gore that is truer to the source material I suggest you check out this web link!
http://www.thebricktestament.com/job/index.html

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:40 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Brilliant work from the Coens. An easy 'A' for me.

The ending works fine for me even though I was more surprised at the abrupt ending than during No Country.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri May 07, 2010 1:04 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

So what was the significance of the opening scene?

Were they Larry's ancestors who brought on a curse that would affect Larry? There seems to be a theme of punishment throughout the film - with Larry often saying "I did nothing wrong", which really meant - "Why am I being punished?"

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue May 11, 2010 1:51 am