Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Much Ado About Nothing 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

Much Ado About Nothing 

Post Much Ado About Nothing
Much Ado About Nothing

Quote:
Much Ado About Nothing is a 1993 British/American romantic comedy film based on William Shakespeare's play. It was adapted for the screen and directed by Kenneth Branagh, who also played the role of Benedick.

The film was released on May 7, 1993, reaching 200 U.S. screens at its widest release. It earned $22 million at the U.S. box office and $36 million total worldwide, which, despite failing to reach the mark set by Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet, made it one of the most financially successful Shakespeare films ever released. It was also entered into the 1993 Cannes Film Festival.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:35 am
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Post Re: Much Ado About Nothing
I prefer this one to Branagh's other Shakespeare adaptations.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:44 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The finest film adaptation of a Shakespeare comedy* ever made!

What especially blew me away was how entirely crystal clear the enunciation of the dialogue was - - I have never felt so in tune with the language of Shakespeare in any of my previous experiences with him. Sure I'd appreciated his brilliance upon slow and thoughtful analysis, but in Much Ado About Nothing Shakespeare's humor hit me right in the gut in realtime as I laughed and laughed. The romance is also just as effervescent and this four hundred year old ROM-COM plays as if it is brand new. This is not just a Shakespeare to admire, it's a Shakespeare to love!

The principal actors are absolutely superb, and the odd choices for the secondary characters add their own little surprising touches of interest to the film.

If only Brannagh had been able to make more of Shakespeare's ouevre when he was at the height of his directorial powers...

:zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

(*BTW, my favorite film adaptation of a Shakespeare tragedy is the incomparably grim Titus by Julie Taymor...)

Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:11 am
Hold the door!

Beautifully shot. It’s weird seeing all these actors so young. The dialogue is difficult to understand as you would expect with a Shakespeare play, but the actors and director use the film medium to help you understand. Emma Thompson is the best.

B+

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:06 am
now we know

I watched this at school. A snooze fest.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]