Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Religulous 

What grade would you give this film?
A 55%  55%  [ 11 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
F 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

Religulous 
Extraordinary

Post Religulous
Religulous

Quote:
Religulous (pronounced /rɨˈlɪdʒʉləs/) is a 2008 American comic documentary film written by and starring comedian Bill Maher and directed by Larry Charles. The title of the film is a portmanteau derived from the words "religion" and "ridiculous"; the documentary examines and mocks organized religion and religious belief.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:38 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Religulous
Well, I see some genius has already given this an F with nothing to back it up. Surprise.

I enjoyed the comedy (which there was a lot of) but I loved when Bill Maher actually got into some debates with people he was talking with. The discussion he had with that one "controversial" rapper guy--who was all for freedom of speech and the right to not be killed when it came to his work but Salmon Rushdie somehow deserved death threats?--comes to mind first as well as that "no IQ test" needed senator/congressman/works-for-US-in-some-similar-capacity guy.

The DVD should be packed with extras, as there must be lots of good stuff left out.

Oh, and that one guy who said to call him Dr. as the text onscreen let us know he in no way was a doctor with no degrees in anything was also pretty interesting.

The sound FX were a bit much for me sometimes, but overall this was a solid A.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:42 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Loved it. But more surprising was the sold out crowd here in chicago who applauded at the end. Maybe there is hope in this country after all.

Bill Maher is quickly becoming my comedic god.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:57 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

Loved it as well. Maher is one of the few well known people not afraid to call out the BS that is touted by religious fundamentalists of all faiths. He doesn't attack religion, just those who use as it the foundation of their entire world view and an excuse to stop questioning anything. By keeping the films tone light it allows the absurdities he's illustrating to shine through making the film all the more entertaining and enjoyable. I was surprised as well by the audience reaction, lots of laughter and thunderous applause at the end. Like Sam said maybe there is hope for the country, id really like to hope so.

Grade A

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:19 am

The Mr Pink wrote:
Loved it as well. Maher is one of the few well known people not afraid to call out the BS that is touted by religious fundamentalists of all faiths. He doesn't attack religion, just those who use as it the foundation of their entire world view and an excuse to stop questioning anything. By keeping the films tone light it allows the absurdities he's illustrating to shine through making the film all the more entertaining and enjoyable. I was surprised as well by the audience reaction, lots of laughter and thunderous applause at the end. Like Sam said maybe there is hope for the country, id really like to hope so.

Grade A

The people who see this movie aren't going to be the religious ones to begin with. A. They should know going into the film it will offend them, so they'll avoid. B. Most of the people who use religion to guide their worldview aren't intelligent enough to know of movies outside of the cream of the crop blockbusters that are heavily advertised.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Pure Phase

Bill Maher nailed it (no crucifixion pun intended). ;) The hilarious and learned host of HBO's "Real Time" travels the world (from Israel to Utah) to research and lampoon organized religion (which he believes is foolish and detrimental to society). He interviews holier-than-thou Christians, Jews, Muslims, and one man who claims to be a former Satanist priest. The results are dramatic, hilarious, and very scary.

This is not a true documentary. It's not intended to be a balanced, fair portrayal of believers. It's a visual op-ed piece - Maher doesn't hide the fact he's amused, disgusted, and/or horrified by most of the zealots he meets. Since I share Maher's views and sympathize with his reactions, I completely loved Religulous. Many sequences, as if often the case with religion, elicit both laughs and chills. For example, Maher visits the Holy Land Experience in Orlando and watches a gory reenactment of the Passion. The Christian tourists in the audience cheer when the actor playing Jesus is knocked down and kicked by the Romans, snapping away with their disposable cameras. It's beyond surreal. It's ridiculous, it's religious, it's... you know.

A+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:24 pm
King Albert!

Wow, what can I say. This was one film that finally grills on other religions (I am a Baptist by the way). This was a well structed and well executed documentary, with alot of laughs (that Senator part got everyone cracking up). I'd be amazed if this does not get nominated in the Documentary Feature category.

Grade - A.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:25 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The film had to show 9/11 footage at least once, in my opinion.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:02 pm
Devil's Advocate

Did they bring up the "Thank god for 9/11"-ers?

Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:55 pm
Devil's Advocate

I quite loved it too. Definitely one of the funniest films of the year, and the editing was fantastic, I loved all the gag inserts and the cutting between the dialogs and Maher talking and so forth. I'd definitely agree with Gunslinger that it's more of an openly one sided editorial than it is a doc, but I had no problem with that, as I think the ridiculousness and massive holes of these religions IS just about undisputable. He does choose a lot of buffoons and easy prey to attack, though.

As for the ending, I thought Maher's speech was brilliant, but yeah, the Requiem for a Dream-esque score and the blowing up shit was a bit much.

It's noteable that he sticks to crucifying the fundamentalist and literal believers here, generally staying away from the people who can both recognize how ridiculous all that is and still believe in god as a creator for reasons like an intelligence to the universe, the difficulty explaining the big bang, etc. Which I think was a good decision, there really shouldn't be any comparison between the two groups. As someone who would defend that second group quite strongly and finds it just as reasonable as atheism(though I'm primarily agnostic), I think even being associated with the 1st would be insulting. In any case those arguments are an entirely different bag of worms that was rightfully left out here.

4/5

Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:18 pm

One of the better "documentaries" I have seen, although that is saying very little as I haven't seen a lot of docs in my time. However this one still was a funny and somewhat insightful documentary over the ridiculousness of religion; the editing is fantastic, and some of the situations and people he encounters just further proves his points. But then my biggest complaint is that I pretty much knew everything the film talked about, except that the Jesus story is the same as the son of Ra in Egypt.

A-

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:33 pm
Kypade

eh

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:55 pm
Superman: The Movie

It's great for about an hour. Then it kind goes somewhat downhill when Maher interviews the pot guy. There's about 70 minutes of solid material here in a 100 minute film. It's odd, but both of the films Larry Charles has made have had running time issues but for opposite reasons. Borat needed to be about 10 minutes longer and this needed to be at least that much shorter. The last 20 minutes are where the film begins to waver somewhat, especially the ending.

Was it really necessary to actually show the violence? Maher's making the point already during his closing argument, we don't actually have to see it. Anyone who had been paying attention up to that point already knows Maher's stance that if the entire world doesn't change how they practice (or abolish altogether) religion we're fucked. We'll wind up blowing ourselves up with nuclear weapons proving the religious wackos correct in an odd sense. As I said we didn't need to see the real life violence. It obvious. Maybe Maher and Charles thought that if Maher was just walking and talking directly into the camera it would just feel like another one of his Real Time episodes (which it kind of is if an episode - biased, one-sided, to the point, in other words not really a documentary like several people have mentioned - were devoted to religion), but I think just based on where he was in terms of location at the end of the film made it different and interesting. We get to look at it for about two minutes. Great.

Still Maher has made a very funny film which brings up many good points. He wanted to get people talking and he's succeeded.

And no I didn't intend to watch this on Christmas Eve and post this Christmas morning. Maybe subconsciously I did, but I wanted to get started on the '08 films I missed that I wouldn't get a chance to see until they came out on DVD and this was the best option.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:35 am
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

i watched it. I only remember about half of it because i was highly intoxicated. Anyways,

F.

Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:23 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I laughed more than just once.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

4/10 -> D

It's funny. I laughed quite a few times. But I didn't like the people Maher chose to talk with. I didn't like his attitude. That's my main problem with this movie. No matter if all of the believers are complete loonies, that is no way to talk to them. He was too smug and acted too smart and superior. Besides those funny parts, this movie as a whole is not good really.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

RELIGULOUS - 8/10 (A-)

A lot of non-believers are closeted about that fact that they are non-believers. I am to a degree. I mean, I'll talk about it with people I feel comfortable talking about it with, but usually I don't say anything. Honestly, I'm kind of afraid to. And it can be really frustrating. I'll want to say something when people go on and on about religion, but I just don't dare. So thank you Bill Maher for having the balls to do it for me and any others who are afraid to speak out. A lot of the things he says here are things I don't know if I could ever say, even if I do think them. He gets right into the lion's den. I know they say a good documentary shouldn't be biased - and this one definitely is - but being that I'm on Maher's side in this debate I'd have it no other way. Unfortunately it will just be preaching to the choir and anyone on the fence, as there's no way most religious people would touch this. And it's not like it would win them over anyway. But I'm glad it exists. I thought it was very funny, and at times scary. It does goes on a bit too long, but that's my biggest complaint. It would be cool if this were turned into an HBO series and had Maher visiting different places each week, tackling different aspects of religion.

Anyway, it was very interesting, and recommended to those it appeals to.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:39 am

To be honest, I think I am unfairly biases simply cause I love knocking religion. But even still, it was very funny, at times uproarious (personally I loved that ass who said he was a "reformed gay" or whatever the fuck, his ignorance was hilarious.) Also, I think it made some good points about religion, ignorance, and how dangerous mindless followers and their fanatical leaders can be. I agree with be.ready that Maher's smug attitude was both obnoxious and sometimes inappropriate, but I had a hard time feeling bad for those people. Either way, his bad attitude did not crush the entire flick, but it does knock a point or 2 off.
Summary: interesting and entertaining documentary that provides some good information, and laughs for anyone who does not pray to any god.
If you are religious I think you could still find it funny rather than offensive, but it depends on how you take mean jokes, and how you feel about your religion.
8.5/10

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:07 am
Z

Mike wrote:
A lot of non-believers are closeted about that fact that they are non-believers. I am to a degree. I mean, I'll talk about it with people I feel comfortable talking about it with, but usually I don't say anything. Honestly, I'm kind of afraid to. And it can be really frustrating. I'll want to say something when people go on and on about religion, but I just don't dare.

I cannot believe what you say. I could understand the contrary: a believer being afraid to admit his bêtise; this, however, is truly bizarre.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:39 am
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

Argos wrote:
Mike wrote:
A lot of non-believers are closeted about that fact that they are non-believers. I am to a degree. I mean, I'll talk about it with people I feel comfortable talking about it with, but usually I don't say anything. Honestly, I'm kind of afraid to. And it can be really frustrating. I'll want to say something when people go on and on about religion, but I just don't dare.

I cannot believe what you say. I could understand the contrary: a believer being afraid to admit his bêtise; this, however, is truly bizarre.

I can see it only in that religous people are so unpredictable when it comes to their religion, so you don't know if a nice normal person is going to exact some kind of zany jihad on your ass for being a 'non believer' or even a thinker.

But, the central point of the movie is to speak up more, and I have to say Maher convinced me a great deal more than I already was to that end. I used to just be like whatever, let people have their crazy rituals and beliefs if they need to. But it does real damage. I'm now more in the camp of make people defend their defenseless beliefs, but not to the point of enraging them or embarassing them.

I'm so glad Maher did this, and my estimation of him skyrocketed after seeing it. Saw it twice in the theater.

A all the way. If I had any criticism, it might be that he didn't really give any service to the East Asian religions, which are more peaceful and reasonable and based less on dogma, to show how religion could exist without being such a detriment.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:03 am
Z

Proud Ryu wrote:
I can see it only in that religous people are so unpredictable when it comes to their religion, so you don't know if a nice normal person is going to exact some kind of zany jihad on your ass for being a 'non believer' or even a thinker.

I have had many conversations about religion, among others with a parish council, a philosophy teacher, a theology student, intelligent catholics, stupid protestants, daunted theists; and they are all the same: attacked, and, at a certain point, incapable to rebut your arguments, thus defenseless, already defeated, so to speak.

Proud Ryu wrote:
But, the central point of the movie is to speak up more, and I have to say Maher convinced me a great deal more than I already was to that end. I used to just be like whatever, let people have their crazy rituals and beliefs if they need to. But it does real damage. I'm now more in the camp of make people defend their defenseless beliefs, but not to the point of enraging them or embarassing them.

Embarrassment is important, because it smolders inside and is not easily shaken off. Therefore it makes them recapitulate what happened during the discussion, and what went wrong. Thus begins their liberation, if they dare it.

Last edited by Argos on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Argos wrote:
Mike wrote:

It depends on where you live. People around here are really defensive when it comes to religion and fly off the handle at the mere suggestion of being a non-believer.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:00 pm
Z

I would rejoice.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:07 pm
Profile WWW

Argos wrote:
Mike wrote:

It depends on where you live. People around here are really defensive when it comes to religion and fly off the handle at the mere suggestion of being a non-believer.[/quote]

Well I know where your coming from, but I take a different approach. I am gay, I know some people who flip shit and literally want to beat up gay people, not do, but wish they could without reprecusion. Maybe, logically, I should avoid these people, and at the very least not tell them. But that's not what I do: I am who I am and would never deny or hide it. Same with how you feel, if you think what something you shouldn't be afraid to say it. Those that freak out, that's their issue not yours.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:07 am
Star Trek XI

Nice to see someone have the balls to take on religion.

I used to believe in a higher power. I used to think that religion was something that would help get me through the day. And then something funny happened. I read the Bible. I read stories about Abraham being told to sacrifice his son for God's pleasure. I read stories of Sodom and Ghamora. I read stories about turning people to stone for disobeying. I read stories about God being jealous and vengeful and angry. Shockingly, this is not the God I was told about in Sunday school.

When I questioned why God, who loved us so much, would let all this stuff happen in the world, I was told that God had a plan for us. And as Maher so cleverly pointed out, I wonder what the plan was for all those Jewish people who were being shoved into ovens. What was God's plan for them? Religulous is perhaps the most daring film/documentary i have ever seen. Religious zealots will preach peace and good will on one hand but if you dare say a bad word against their religion, some of them will physically confront you. Wars are predicated on religion. Bill Maher has made a film that will anger a lot of people. One, because a lot of what he has to say will leave religious people shaking their head when they see how absurd he makes them look, and two, because many religious loonies do not like you saying a bad word against their beliefs. This film pulls no punches and it makes fun of or questions all kinds of religions. Christianity, Catholicism, Mormonism, Islam and so on. It treats all of them equally when it comes to his disdain towards them.

He meets a rabbi and asks him why he attended a Holocaust denial meeting with the president of Iran. He meets a Puerta Rican who says he is the second coming of Chirst. He has 100,000 followers. He goes to a truck stop chapel and debates with them about the absurdity of Christianity. It looks like they are going to take a swing at him, but instead they pray for his enlightenment. He goes to a Scientology get together and impersonates a Scientology's at the Speakers' Corner in London's Hyde Park, and says Scientology teaches that there was a race of Thetans several trillion years old, which is interesting because the Earth is only about 13 billion years old, and that we are born with Thetans inside of us, like the mitichlorians of Star Wars fame. These Thetans can be detected by getting an E meter, which can be purchased at a Scientology store. It is not free. Once you get it, you can audit yourself.

He also has meaningful debates with opponents of homosexuality. He gets into the merits or lack thereof of the ten commandments. He goes onto to tell us that the commandments are mostly about worshiping God.

I wish I could meet Bill Maher in person to thank him for having the courage to make a film like this, but seeing as that won't happen, I hope he reads comments like this one. You may not do a lot to change people's minds about their religion, they are too brainwashed, but you at least did a very commendable job in showing how silly religion is and how much of a charlatan the organizations of religion really are.

9/10

Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next