Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 1708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 69  Next
 The Dark Knight 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 138 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 19 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
D 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 168

The Dark Knight 

Post Re: The Dark Knight
Who the fuck gave it a B?!

Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:32 am
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

This is a review thread so by golly here's a review. The Dark Knight is not your average superhero movie, nor is it a better than average superhero movie. It transcends the superhero genre and grounds it in a sick, vile, corrupt world that can, at times, be a mirror to our own. The Nolans have taken what they view as our weaknesses/flaws as a society and through the guise of an extremely flawed superhero/vigilante show us that in order for good to prevail we must at times do unpleasant things. Things we find uncomfortable, things that are shaded in nuances of gray instead of black and white, things we don't want to but know we must do. Oh and it kicks ass.

I really was beginning to wonder if this could ever live up to the hype its getting and I can honestly say it surpassed it. While not a perfect film it doesn't have any major or big minor flaws, just a few very minor nit picky things that are easily compensated for. And in no way did this feel like a 2 1/2hr film, the story was so engaging it pulls you in and doesn't let go until the end. The scoring and sound mix were great, but especially for the Joker. It just puts you on the edge of your seat everytime you hear it because you know something bad is going to happen. Speaking of the Joker I'm going to jump on the Heath Ledger bandwagon because he owned every inch of that role and deserves to be recognized for it. His Joker is the best one of them all period no question no doubt. Eckhart was a good choice for Harvey Dent and Oldman really shined as Gordon. Caine and Freeman turned in solid work as well, while Bale is finally comfortable playing Batman.

Grade A+

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:23 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

The Mr Pink wrote:
This is a review thread so by golly here's a review. The Dark Knight is not your average superhero movie, nor is it a better than average superhero movie. It transcends the superhero genre and grounds it in a sick, vile, corrupt world that can, at times, be a mirror to our own. The Nolans have taken what they view as our weaknesses/flaws as a society and through the guise of an extremely flawed superhero/vigilante show us that in order for good to prevail we must at times do unpleasant things. Things we find uncomfortable, things that are shaded in nuances of gray instead of black and white, things we don't want to but know we must do. Oh and it kicks ass.

I really was beginning to wonder if this could ever live up to the hype its getting and I can honestly say it surpassed it. While not a perfect film it doesn't have any major or big minor flaws, just a few very minor nit picky things that are easily compensated for. And in no way did this feel like a 2 1/2hr film, the story was so engaging it pulls you in and doesn't let go until the end. The scoring and sound mix were great, but especially for the Joker. It just puts you on the edge of your seat everytime you hear it because you know something bad is going to happen. Speaking of the Joker I'm going to jump on the Heath Ledger bandwagon because he owned every inch of that role and deserves to be recognized for it. His Joker is the best one of them all period no question no doubt. Eckhart was a good choice for Harvey Dent and Oldman really shined as Gordon. Caine and Freeman turned in solid work as well, while Bale is finally comfortable playing Batman.

Grade A+

If it isn't a perfect film, then how could you give it an A+ a perfect grade?? :whistle:

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:55 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

MR. GREEN wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:

Grade A+

If it isn't a perfect film, then how could you give it an A+ a perfect grade?? :whistle:

No film has ever been perfect in my opinion, that doesnt stop me from giving about 3-5 A+ a year.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:33 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

I predict this thread to be at atleast page 10 by Friday at 11:59 PM ET.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:49 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

MR. GREEN wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:

Grade A+

HEY! You're not supposed to be here. :P

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:37 pm
Speed Racer

I'm seeing it today in a few hours. Can't wait!

Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:39 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Best movie of the year, by far. It felt like an Oscar-caliber crime drama with Batman thrown in. Ledger owns the movie with one of the most chilling performances ever. He should definetely get an Oscar nomination. He's a twisted, sick, disturbing clown and his "games" will leave you on the edge of your seat. The rest of the cast is also fantastic. While I liked Holmes in Begins, Gyllenhaal is simply on a whole other level acting-wise. The action is slick and realistic, but its great fun. The big chase is INSANE. Dent's storyline is very strong and it basically carries the film somewhat. I felt that Eckhart's acting at the end was a wee bit over-the-top and the closing speech was only slightly forced, but they're very minor complaints. Dark Knight trascends the superhero genre, its better than the original. Heck, its BP-quality.

A+

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:58 pm
Golfaholic

Like I said two weeks ago ;)

It is an absolujte masterpiece, probably the best superhero movie ever made. It's dark, exciting, smart, sensationally acted all around and with some surprising twists. If there is anything to complain it is that the first half hour felt a bit like a bond movie (Morgan Freeman as Q, exotic locations, womanizing etc.) but even in that it would have been a great bond movie. If Nolan's first Batman was amazing, this one is beyond words. A+

Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:51 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

luv wrote:
btw the Joker walking around in the nurses outfit was fucking hilarious.

I agree. But he was also creepy in that outfit... :unsure:

Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:39 pm
ef star star kay

I haven't seen it..

but it has been released in Thailand today.. and people went crazy over Pantip.com (the biggest movie forum amongst Thai moviegoers)

It's so painful to read those comments :tears:

I want to see it NOW :tears:

btw, my dad is going to see it tomorrow.. I just talk to him on phone.. he sounds a bit too exciting :funny:

Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:02 pm

Alright.. Right off the bat, I'm giving this movie a "C".. The Pro's: Heath Ledger for the simple fact that all the hype and brouhaha is more about him then the actual movie itself, and strangely enough, you really don't see enough of him in the 2.5 hours plus this movie runs at.. Alot of this movie has SPIDERMAN 3 written all over it with the inclusion of too many villains, even if the Scarecrow is only in it for like 2 minutes, and the same could apply for Harvey Dent himself who should've been set up for the next movie and isn't now based on his demise which was dumb.. Why do away with him if your not going to include him in the next movie?? But enough of that, it's about Ledger in the end and in my opinion, he does an equally good a job as Jack Nicholson did, but merely a different approach to the charcater than Nicholson did.. I look at it like this: Nicholson's JOKER was "The Clown Prince of Darkness" while Ledger was a "Pyschopathic Clown" if that makes any sense, even more twisted and demented..

The Con's of the movie: Too long of a running time that at the very least, 20 minutes could've been trimmed off of this, doing away with the Hong Kong scene and for that matter, the character of Harvey Dent which was a waste.. Almost like how VENOM was a waste in SM3.. It made no sense.. Also, it's Ok to make a movie DARK, but for crying out loud, it's also Ok to throw shreds of light in the movie to and this was so dark, that it was the equivalent of a tooth ache after awhile while staring at my watch wondering when this would end.. It should've ended with the JOKER'S demise and instead, Nolan felt that an extra 20 minutes of subplot had to be thrown in for extra measures.. All in all, this movie was made for the FANS of this particular franchise or trilogy and if that's your cup of tea, then good for you folks, but it wasn't for me.. The tagline was "Why So Serious".. This is what I'm asking Nolan: Why make the movie so serious??

Grade: "C" and if you don't like it, bite me.. Unlike the other critics, I'm not afraid to point out flaws in the movie like they are over the hypersensitivity of an actors death..

Last edited by STEVE ROGERS on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Why no bold?

So when did you give in and admit Spider-Man 3 wasn't that good? I seem to have missed that. :er:

Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

MR. GREEN wrote:
Alright.. Right off the bat, I'm giving this movie a "C".. The Pro's: Heath Ledger for the simple fact that all the hype and brouhaha is more about him then the actual movie itself, and strangely enough, you really don't see enough of him in the 2.5 hours plus this movie runs at.. Alot of this movie has SPIDERMAN 3 written all over it with the inclusion of too many villains, even if the Scarecrow is only in it for like 2 minutes, and the same could apply for Harvey Dent himself who should've been set up for the next movie and isn't now based on his demise which was dumb.. Why do away with him if your not going to include him in the next movie?? But enough of that, it's about Ledger in the end and in my opinion, he does an equally good a job as Jack Nicholson did, but merely a different approach to the charcater than Nicholson did.. I look at it like this: Nicholson's JOKER was "The Clown Prince of Darkness" while Ledger was a "Pyschopathic Clown" if that makes any sense, even more twisted and demented..

The Con's of the movie: Too long of a running time that at the very least, 20 minutes could've been trimmed off of this, doing away with the Hong Kong scene and for that matter, the character of Harvey Dent which was a waste.. Almost like how VENOM was a waste in SM3.. It made no sense.. Also, it's Ok to make a movie DARK, but for crying out loud, it's also Ok to throw shreds of light in the movie to and this was so dark, that it was the equivalent of a tooth ache after awhile while staring at my watch wondering when this would end.. It should've ended with the JOKER'S demise and instead, Nolan felt that an extra 20 minutes of subplot had to be thrown in for extra measures.. All in all, this movie was made for the FANS of this particular franchise or trilogy and if that's your cup of tea, then good for you folks, but it wasn't for me.. The tagline was "Why So Serious".. This is what I'm asking Nolan: Why make the movie so serious??

Grade: "C" and if you don't like it, bite me.. Unlike the other critics, I'm not afraid to point out flaws in the movie like they are over the hypersensitivity of an actors death..

You couldn't wait 10 or so more hours to post this? At least then people would believe you'd actually seen it!

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:22 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Brian is actually letting this get to him, his persona is cracking!!

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:31 pm
Begging Naked

Gulli wrote:
Brian is actually letting this get to him, his persona is cracking!!

Next thing you know he'll be posting with proper punctuations! :ohmy:

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:35 pm
Profile WWW

Folks, Monday morning was the critics screening along with the radio stations at RONNIES 20 CINE for the 10:30 AM showing and a screening was added last night as well and YES, I was fortunate enough to see it.. What's the big deal boys?? I said it was good and gave it a "C", not because of Ledgers performance which was damn good and even I have to admit that Heath Ledger deserves a special oscar for this, but this movie isn't for everyone either.. Christ, please tell me I'm not going to get blasted for giving this an average grade or that I didn't proclaim this to be a "Masterpiece"..

By the way, I still think The INCREDIBLE HULK had better action in it then TDK, even if it was only 4 action sequences..

Last edited by STEVE ROGERS on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:31 pm
Profile WWW

Jon wrote:
Why no bold?

So when did you give in and admit Spider-Man 3 wasn't that good? I seem to have missed that. :er:

I saw SPIDERMAN 3 again on HBO not to long ago and after all the so called hype settled, I realized that they should've simply left VENOM out of the movie or saved him for a 4th movie.. Hell, don't you folks ever change your minds about how you feel about a movie after all the hype settles and your able to see the movie objectively???

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:36 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

The Dark Knight wrote:
TDK has to get 68 As to match WALL-E.

Game on.

NEVER!!!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:37 pm
Extraordinary

MR. GREEN wrote:
Folks, Monday morning was the critics screening along with the radio stations at RONNIES 20 CINE for the 10:30 AM showing and a screening was added last night as well and YES, I was fortunate enough to see it.

BKB, how does Batman escape from Hong Kong? Also, explain why Gordon and Bruce come face-to-face.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:41 pm
Veteran

MR. GREEN wrote:
Folks, Monday morning was the critics screening along with the radio stations at RONNIES 20 CINE for the 10:30 AM showing and a screening was added last night as well and YES, I was fortunate enough to see it.. What's the big deal boys?? I said it was good and gave it a "C", not because of Ledgers performance which was damn good and even I have to admit that Heath Ledger deserves a special oscar for this, but this movie isn't for everyone either.. Christ, please tell me I'm not going to get blasted for giving this an average grade or that I didn't proclaim this to be a "Masterpiece"..

By the way, I still think The INCREDIBLE HULK had better action in it then TDK, even if it was only 4 action sequences..

:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Everything you said about the movie was pretty much shown in the trailers and talked about on KJ. I would bet the house you have not seen the movie.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

I think there is a good chance that he has seen the movie from the way he described it. but, i think he went into the movie wanting to hate this. So a C, is like an A.

though wat bugs me is that Rachel's death had a profound influence in the emergence of Two Face, which was a huge reason why Two Face went the way he did. i didn't think it was rushed.

I also like the thing involving the 2 boats at the end, prisoners vs the citizens. for some reason it was predictable and thrilling at the same time.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:17 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

i dunno loyal. there is a 6-day difference between his posts.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:23 pm
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:

BKB, how does Batman escape from Hong Kong? Also, explain why Gordon and Bruce come face-to-face.

lmao, game.set.match

Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:26 pm
Another You

It was indeed amazing but wouLd have been a compLete masterpiece, IMO if they didn't focus the Last 15 mins. on the Harvey Dent/Gordon storyLine and focused entireLy on The Joker instead! It reaLLy sucks that they didn't 'cause Heath Ledger's performance OWNS everyone and is 100% oscar-worthy. The entire tunneL sequence with the Batpod was just stunning, best action sequence of the year. What's makes this more amazing is that the entire sequence had no music in it yet it was stiLL very engaging. Not much to say about the other performances but Sir MichaeL Caine who was great as aLways. I probabLy need a second viewing on this because the pLot got thicker compared to the previous and just because of Ledger's performance. It is best Batman movie to date, obviousLy but won't top the first two Spider-Man movies as the best superhero fiLm for me.

A-

Last edited by 2001 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 69  Next