Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 1708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 69  Next
 The Dark Knight 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 138 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 19 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
D 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 168

The Dark Knight 
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: The Dark Knight
Oh boy.

My only real complaint is that forcing Two-Face into a major villain role, instead of leaving him for the next one, made the end a bit muddled. If he's truly dead, then it's just a big waste. They should have ended with the scene of him in the bar (like that rumour from long ago stated), and had the Joker stay the main baddie throughout. But oh well.

As great as Ledger and Bale and Eckhart were (and they were all superb in their own ways), I think the unheralded performance of this film is Oldman. He's long been a favourite actor of mine, and he just totally owns the role of Gordon and makes him into a real hero of these films - a far cry from the version in Burton and Schumacher's films.

I loved how the film just dropped us into the middle of the story, with no exposition or backstory, and trusted we would figure it out as we went along. The plot got a little contrived at times, but most of it is heavy drama of the highest nature, and I loved it. The action setpieces were exciting and original, the camera was active and fluid, the visuals were stunning and remarkable.

Nolan and Bale and company were right. This isn't a comic book movie. This isn't Spider-Man or X-Men or Superman. We've already had that version of Batman. This is a fucking crime saga. A true epic. And I can't wait for the next one.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:20 am
htm

Great movie. Occasionally convoluted, but always masterfully acted. Ledger's Joker is, without a doubt, one of the best villains in film history.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:03 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Fell short of perfection.

Fell short of my #1 of the year.

Fell short of what I wanted, which could've never been met.

But how much short? || that much.

9.8/10 A+

The one thing about this movie... The fact that we will never see a role played with such devotion, such passion and creativity as we did with Heath Ledger's Joker. Absolutely phenomenal. Unparalleled to almost every character I've seen on film. Stunningly brilliant.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:13 am
I heet the canadian!

Well, if that wasn't one of the finest action movies ever made, I don't know what is. Easily an A+, and I want to stress this: See this beast in IMAX! Anyways, I'm really tired right now, so I'll just put down a few thoughts:
Spoiler: show
*Heath Ledger was indeed the show stealer here, and was as epic and terrifying as we all expected.
*Rachel's death was handled amazing well, and outside of Ledger, was probably the highlight of the entire film. Handled amazing well, and has enough impact to make Harvey's turn seem realistic.
*I felt the end was fairly anticlimatic, though I seriously have my doubts as to whether Dent is truly dead. The final scenes and last speech by Gordon though, are great.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:18 am
Killing With Kindness

A+

Gordan's final speech is classic script writing, best film of the 00s cant wait to watch it again later today.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:27 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

2001 wrote:
Sad-man wrote:
2001 wrote:
Sad-man wrote:
It's so sad we won't see the Joker again.

Umm why?
If your taLking about Ledger as The Joker, yeah. But we'LL stiLL see his character in the next instaLLment as his character didn't die in the movie. Its just a question of who can repLace and match him.

Get any actor you like, it won't be the same. I don't think the Joker should appear with another actor playing him. It's too big of a role. We are not talking Katie Holmes here.

So you're taLking about Ledger as The Joker, not the character itseLf. And whiLe I do agree with your post and I personaLLy can't see The Joker pLayed by someone eLse too, it's stiLL a possibiLity.

Ledger did a very good job, as equally good as Nicholson but merely different interpretations is all and ifg anyone can replace him, it's the great Johnny Depp.. That guy can pretty well play any role you give him..

Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:07 am
Profile WWW

The Black Knight wrote:
Lets see if this makes any sense...

Its easily a better film then Batman Begins....but I didnt really... ENJOY it as much. Its a 10/10 no doubt, hands down,

-Bale is absolutley superb. As is Gyllenhaal, but Eckhart NAILS Dent in a way I never thought he could. But of course, ledger totallty owns the show.

the magic track? the "you remind me of my father"...ledgers Joker is just such a goo nthat is frightening; he is capaible of anything. From the moment he barks at the fake batman in the video on the news after a series of giggles it goes from funny/scary to DISTURBING. Ledger fucking own, what is there to say?

That said...there are other things I think coulda been handled better:

To me anyways, Rachels death did not have near the impact I expected it to. Gyllenhaals acting made the character very charming and sympathetic; however I was expecting something like this:
-batman and gordon head to the two locations. We see Rachel/Dent talking.
-Gordon place blows up first, and we all assume dents deasd.
-we see bats dissarmed the bomb and now goes for the rescue, only to find HARVEY...then who was in the building thaty we just blew up? TEH SHOCKING TWIST!!!

Instead it was made painfully obvious Rachel was gonna die even before they did and though it was sad, it coulda been a bit more shocking and therefore effective.

as found the ending to be a bit anticlimatic...

Batman just appears outta nowhere and tackles two face off the thing...thats it? THATS IT for the character of TWO FACE????

but yeah, movie is sick.

Dude, you give the movie a 10/10 and say you didn't enjoy it?? :-k If you give the movie a perfect score like this, how the hell couldn't you have enjoyed this unless you hyped it up so much that your expectations weren't met, but should've been for the score your giving it?? From where I'm sitting, I think your almost afraid to give this thing any less than a perfect score for that matter alone..

Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:11 am
Profile WWW

Levy wrote:
So, BKB hasn't answered the questions posed towards the story line which means he never saw the movie. What a pathetic loser. Plus: he can't even tell to three since in my calendar he hasn't been away for three months

Look, I don't care whether you think I saw the movie or not.. there were 2 screenings this week on Monday morning and Wednesday evening and if I would've given this the gushingly glow review with an 11 out of 10, you wouldn't even be asking this dumb question.. The thing of it is is that I actually gave both Pro's and Con's of the film and I'm sorry if you don't agree with this but in the end, I'd say give this about 6 to 8 months before you all start looking at this movie differently, much like it was for BEGINS before people began realizing that the movie did in fact have it's share of flaws.. Right now, your caught up in the hype of it all and refuse to see it any other way..

http://chud.com/articles/articles/15629 ... Page1.html

I'd say that this review is an actual review the way reviews should be written and the probelm lies with the fact that 99% of the critics and fans are really afraid to touch this with a 10 foot pole in terms of critiquing this like any other superhero movie, both Pro's and Con's like they had no problem doing with IRONMAN or even TIH.. Perhaps if Edward Norton or RDJ would've committed suicide, these 2 movies would've been considered flawless to and weren't based on the reviews.. Even though IRONMAN was immensly entertaining, they still found some fault with it and as for TIH?? Blame that on Ang Lee and the fact that critics and audiences weren't as forgiving as I am.. Holy Christ Batman.. :roll:

Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Us v Them

Guys, I have a question:

Do I need to see Batman Begins before watching the Dark Knight??

Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:33 am

Groaning wrote:
Guys, I have a question:

No.. BEGINS was merely an overly long origin movie, but TDK puts that aside and gets to the point, so No..

Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Yeah. So.

I have major issues with it. Sorry guys, best film of the year? Not by a long shot. Was it a good movie? Sure, bordering on really good even. But it is not the second coming or anything even remotely close.

It was too long. It had way too many characters and stories to follow and too many villains (Scarecrow, Two-Face and the Joke plus the whole anti-hero Batman...).

Burton got it right. His weren't too dark, they weren't too comical, they had the perfect balance of everything. This was just way too dark, way too serious (I might ask the filmmakers Joker's question...) and not a lot of fun. As an action film, it was good, as a movie itself it was well made, brilliantly directed, brilliantly acted and such. As a Batman film...it didn't hold up.

And another thing, Batman's "voice" really pisses me off. If he was wearing a full mask I could see it...but not like he was.

B

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:24 am
Commander and Chef

yoshue wrote:
Nolan's realist aesthetic and approach to the film really, really doesn't jive with the sheer silliness of the stunts and setpieces. He wants to have his cake and eat it too. No dice.

Heath Ledger's Joker is just wonderfully compelling. "I just want my phone call." Hah! But when he's not around, this is a bit of an endurance test.

Batman's decision at the end of the film is insulting and bogus. That's the solution to the problem? Uh-huh. Just seems to me like the guy has a bit of a martyr complex.

But hey, they got their third film set-up, and I guess that's what counts!

Yup he does. What Rachel said about Bruce halfway through the movie was completely correct about him even if things didn't work out that way and what the Joker said throughout the film was also very true. Batman truly is an egotistical bastard and even if he does keep stating otherwise, he truly believes himself to be the one true hope for the entire city. i hope they keep building on that.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Groaning wrote:
Guys, I have a question:

not neccessarily no. though i dont see why you wouldn't watch BB first before seeing this.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Biggestgeekever wrote:
Well, if that wasn't one of the finest action movies ever made, I don't know what is. Easily an A+, and I want to stress this: See this beast in IMAX! Anyways, I'm really tired right now, so I'll just put down a few thoughts:
*Heath Ledger was indeed the show stealer here, and was as epic and terrifying as we all expected.
*Rachel's death was handled amazing well, and outside of Ledger, was probably the highlight of the entire film. Handled amazing well, and has enough impact to make Harvey's turn seem realistic.
*I felt the end was fairly anticlimatic, though I seriously have my doubts as to whether Dent is truly dead. The final scenes and last speech by Gordon though, are great.

I think
Gordon and Batman covered up his death. People are saying he could of broke his neck when he hit the ground and Batman didn't because of his armor. That doesn't work because Gordon's son didn't break his neck. I think Two-Face is still alive but in Arkham probably something like the Man in the Iron Mask treatment.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Man I love this film. I really cant articulate it right now as im extremely tired - but i'lll put up some jumbled thoughts.

Everyone was perfect in this. Ledger is beyond brilliant. The Joker is a psychopath, creepym crazy and the most enjoyable character to watch in a loooong time. Bale is better here than in Begins. I actually prefer him as Bruce Wayne than Batman (maybe its the Batman voice which irks me a little). Gyllenhaul is cute, sweet and sassy and it was sad to see Rachel go like that. Oldman has alot to do this time and he nails the role of Gordon. That leaves Eckardt as Dent. Had no idea he'd get so much screen time - but he's fantastic. Though it does seem he changes to dramatically after his "accident".

The Joker's tricks are crazy but work so well on screen. I have to say my fave scene of the film was when the Joker confronts the mob in the beginning.

Yeah the films a little long - could have been cut back 15-20 mins but I never felt bored or uncomfortable.

I know this is the type of film that gets better with a 2nd viewing - and i'll do that in IMAX.

Oh - and really how can you top this?? What is left to do in a third film??

Grade : A+

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:12 am
Commander and Chef

The Dark Knight wrote:
Got back pretty late and we lost power last night at home...

TDK has to be the most nihilistic tentpole film ever released in Hollywood. By the end credits, it's down right depressing (hide the knives kids).

Now that's not to say it isn't brill and fab and exciting. But The Dark Knight would also make the Grim Reaper sleep with a night light on.

I'm most concerned where the Nolan brothers and WB even go from here in the next film. I'd almost prefer they stop. I don't a version of the The Penguin that molests kids or a Catwoman that steals organs instead of jewels.

A+

But for the love of all that is holy, inject 5% more levity in The Dark Knight II.

The one thing i was thinking about when i stepped out of the movie is something you just said. Standalone, TDk is just .... i mean .. i'm speechless about what it is. But where does this leave the 3rd? Penguin? Riddler? Bane? noneof those villains will work. Batman is a vigilante outlaw now and to keep the story interesting, he can't be seen battling mob bosses or gimmicky villains interested in him only ... we need Gotham to be in danger again which is something Joker did .. he really put the stakes up. I can't see the sequel working without someone like Freeze .. i really can't. i honestly have no idea what villain direction they'll take. its obvious the next film is going to be about batman's struggle with fighting crime on 2 fronts while saving his own ass. i also think that TDk gave some good glimpses at batman becoming a paranoid egotistical bastard and hope they keep working and building that.

if people had an issue with his voice, i think its just going to keep getting worse. the character is meant to be demonic to instill some fear into people and hopefully, they'll keep working that angle.

LOYAL come online. we must talk TDK.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The Dark Knight wrote:

TDK has to be the most nihilistic tentpole film ever released in Hollywood. By the end credits, it's down right depressing (hide the knives kids).

Now that's not to say it isn't brill and fab and exciting. But The Dark Knight would also make the Grim Reaper sleep with a night light on.

I'm most concerned where the Nolan brothers and WB even go from here in the next film. I'd almost prefer they stop. I don't a version of the The Penguin that molests kids or a Catwoman that steals organs instead of jewels.

A+

But for the love of all that is holy, inject 5% more levity in The Dark Knight II.

Actually they wouldn't have to do any of that. The Joker is that dark in the comics so making him be sadistic in the film fits. There aren't really too many other villains in the Batman's Rogue's gallery who are that way. Now they will have to find a way to top the movie and I think there will be a final film in the trilogy. I think it sets up one more film pretty well since Batman is on the run and something will have to happen for Gotham to love him. My personal guess is maybe they bring in Ra's daughter and she could cause so much havok that Batman has to save the city.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Went to a 3:30 am showing, I am DEAD tired...maybe wasn't the best idea to go at that time I had a hard time concentrating on everything (though it moves quite quick either way), will try to see it again this weekend.

With that said it really is a ground breaking achievement in cinema....this was the night that comic films grow into a whole other level. I'd like to come here and say that Joker is great but the other cast members are just as good but I can't. Honestly, Heath Ledger makes everyone else pale in comparison (Nolan deserves some credit for creating this awesome rendition as well). There isn't one single second that I didn't absolutely love Joker, he completes Batman and this film.

Sadly an amazing talent has been taken away from us and with him an amazing trilogy that was developing with Batman and Joker. Theres really no replacing Ledger, it's going to be futile.

Grade - A

Last edited by Joker's Thug #3 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:18 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

@bABa: I know this is from left field, but isn't there some story line involving Batman vs. Superman in the comics? Is that because Batman does become a sort of vigilante and thus become a villan of sorts as well? Superman then comes to the rescue??? Forgive my ignorance. LOL When I left the theater, I felt as if Batman was set up in that awkward role for something big to happen like a showdown with Superman. Like you said, it feels like the movie hints at something MAJOR coming in the next film.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:18 am
Commander and Chef

Sam wrote:
@bABa: I know this is from left field, but isn't there some story line involving Batman vs. Superman in the comics? Is that because Batman does become a sort of vigilante and thus become a villan of sorts as well? Superman then comes to the rescue??? Forgive my ignorance. LOL When I left the theater, I felt as if Batman was set up in that awkward role for something big to happen like a showdown with Superman. Like you said, it feels like the movie hints at something MAJOR coming in the next film.

its an alternative timeline .. doesn't exist in the real timeline at all. its a what if story.

Atmospherically, TDk has set its sequel up to be something massive. I honestly can't see it working without Joker right now. And I can't see Joker working without Heath.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

The Dark Knight wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

I'm most concerned where the Nolan brothers and WB even go from here in the next film. I'd almost prefer they stop. I don't want a version of the The Penguin that molests kids or a Catwoman that steals organs instead of jewels.

A+

Actually they wouldn't have to do any of that. The Joker is that dark in the comics so making him be sadistic in the film fits. There aren't really too many other villains in the Batman's Rogue's gallery who are that way. Now they will have to find a way to top the movie and I think there will be a final film in the trilogy. I think it sets up one more film pretty well since Batman is on the run and something will have to happen for Gotham to love him. My personal guess is maybe they bring in Ra's daughter and she could cause so much havok that Batman has to save the city.

That sounds like a pale imitiation. See, it's impossible to make a third film as good as TDK. Just let it be and go off and restart Supes Vs Batman or something with a new cast.

Considering this movie is about to break the opening day record, i doubt thats ever gonna happen and we both know it. so we gotta keep thinking of what they CAN do.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The Dark Knight wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

I'm most concerned where the Nolan brothers and WB even go from here in the next film. I'd almost prefer they stop. I don't want a version of the The Penguin that molests kids or a Catwoman that steals organs instead of jewels.

A+

That sounds like a pale imitiation. See, it's impossible to make a third film as good as TDK. Just let it be and go off and restart Supes Vs Batman or something with a new cast.

Well it is too bad they kill off Ra's since I could see him being able to do something truly epic. I think WB will try to find a way to finish off the trilogy. I imagine they will throw all kinds of money at Nolan to think of something for a third act. If anybody could top this movie it is him. As for the Joker, I am not sure what to do about him. If Ledger was still alive I say the Joker would be in the film again, but now I don't know. I guess they could spend money and get Johnny Depp to play him, since he is the only actor alive who could even come close to pulling it off.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Lampara wrote:
Yeah. So.

I have major issues with it. Sorry guys, best film of the year? Not by a long shot. Was it a good movie? Sure, bordering on really good even. But it is not the second coming or anything even remotely close.

It was too long. It had way too many characters and stories to follow and too many villains (Scarecrow, Two-Face and the Joke plus the whole anti-hero Batman...).

Burton got it right. His weren't too dark, they weren't too comical, they had the perfect balance of everything. This was just way too dark, way too serious (I might ask the filmmakers Joker's question...) and not a lot of fun. As an action film, it was good, as a movie itself it was well made, brilliantly directed, brilliantly acted and such. As a Batman film...it didn't hold up.

And another thing, Batman's "voice" really pisses me off. If he was wearing a full mask I could see it...but not like he was.

B

Does Scarecrow even count since he's in it for less than 5 minutes? Really...

Two-Face, was he even really a villain? It's not like he was hunting down Batman. He was more of a vigilante imo who was going after the people involved with Rachel's death.

Joker was the only villain and every other bad guy was a side show.

As for Batman's voice, yes it is still somewhat annoying but that's so nitpicky.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:29 am
Christian's #1 Fan

nghtvsn wrote:
Lampara wrote:
Yeah. So.

B

Two-Face, was he even really a villain? It's not like he was hunting down Batman. He was more of a vigilante imo who was going after the people involved with Rachel's death.

As for Batman's voice, yes it is still somewhat annoying but that's so nitpicky.

When the whole movie he's talking like that and it makes no sense, yeah, it is a big deal.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:53 am
Commander and Chef

Lampara wrote:
nghtvsn wrote:
Lampara wrote:
Yeah. So.

B

When the whole movie he's talking like that and it makes no sense, yeah, it is a big deal.

Well I'lldisagree on the 'no sense' part. there is a reason why he sounds like that specifically. but yes, i dont think you're nitpicking. if you find it annoying, he does speak like that through the whole movie so yea ... it would be a problem.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 69  Next