Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Love Guru 

What grade would you give this film?
A 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
F 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

The Love Guru 
Extraordinary

Post The Love Guru
The Love Guru

Quote:
The Love Guru is a 2008 American comedy film, directed by Marco Schnabel and starring Mike Myers and Jessica Alba along with Romany Malco and Justin Timberlake. In addition to starring in the film, Myers wrote The Love Guru with Graham Gordy and produced it with Gary Barber. The film was released by Paramount Pictures on June 20, 2008 and was rated PG-13. The film was released on August 1 in the United Kingdom, and has been rated 12A. It was released on DVD and Blu-Ray on September 16.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: The Love Guru
I've been a fan of Meyers since the SNL days and have pretty much stuck with him until that autrocity against humanity known as Cat in the Hat, oh and the last two Shrek films. And while I wasn't expecting a masterpiece I also wasn't expecting something this bad. The Love Guru starts out flat and nose dives from there. Maybe if I were 8 and just discovering the wonderful noises the human body makes then this may have been amusing. But Meyers really knows how to beat a dick and fart joke into the ground, dig it back up and beat down again and again until it becomes painfully unfunny. Meyers continues the stuck in the 1980's cliche that Sandler started in Zohan and it doesn't work here either. And to top it all off he somehow manages to turn Steven Colbert, John Oliver and Jim Gaffigan into unfunny baffoons. The only thing that saved this from a F was a scene involving pachyderms, outside of that nothing could save this mess.

Grade D--

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:16 am
Devil's Advocate

I was expecting Mr. Pink's head to explode from being unable to grade this lower than a Z

Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:36 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

Shack wrote:
I was expecting Mr. Pink's head to explode from being unable to grade this lower than a Z

There's always the Z- ;) But I'm saving that for Disaster Movie.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:28 pm
Leader of the Pack

So i hardly ever comment on this site, but i feel like i have to after watching movie.... I probably will be the only one who says this, but THANK YOU MIKE MYERS FOR RETURNING TO YOUR SHTICK THAT IS EASILY THE GREATEST RETARDED AND IMMATURE COMEDY OF ALL TIME! :yes:

From the trailers the comedy seemed like it would fall flat fast, but the is far from the case... It is easily the biggest love or hate movie i have ever seen. If you are not laughing from the first joke, then you will definitely want to end your life before the film is done. But even if you are only chuckling at the first gag, prepare to laugh your ass off as you get sucked into to the crazy immature world that Myers creates. :D

The coolest part of the film was realizing how much i have missed Myers gig. Going to see the Austin Powers movies in theaters were some of the best times i have ever had at the movies. While watching this, i was taken back to the good ole days. Hell, i enjoyed that i was laughing at the immature penis jokes... It actually felt like i was myself 5 years ago when i did not know as much about movies and movie critiquing that i do today. Simply put, it is the best time i have had watching a comedy in a long time! :P

While i know this is far from good filmmaking, i am just glad that i can still enjoy these moronic flicks on a personal level. And sorry Mr. Pink, but i feel sorry for people that can't enjoy this movie for what it is... :disgust:

I give The Love Guru a solid A-
The critic in me would never allow myself to give a film like this anything higher...

Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:25 am
Wall-E

Well, I guess that is two of the most opposite opinions you'll see around here........

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Ahead of it's time...

Of course, there are very few fans of originality these days, we've all been trained to respond to the bell of Pavlovian upsell...

Brilliant...

Reminds me of the paucity of fans for Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery back in May '97 - - without the approval of the corporate media and my friends, it must be nothing, or as Guru Pitka might say - - nowhereâ„¢...

This is easily the funniest movie of the year - - yes, funnier than Funny Games, funnier than even In Bruges - - it is outright hilarious...

Bravo, Mike Myers! I'm glad that your success has allowed you the ability to continue to write original material, original characters - - the ability to satire the sacred cows of our era (i.e. Oprah, spirituality, sports, etc.)...

Tonight I have witnessed the future.

35 out of 5.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:35 pm
Begging Naked

As appreciative as I am about your Happening rave, I gotta say...sports is a sacred cow? :unsure:

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Is anyone surprised Bradley gave this a 35 out of 5?

His "opinions" (which are so over-the-top that they practically come across as parody) have become so predictable at this point than I could guess what rating he could give a movie coming out in December and be right.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:38 am
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:

His "opinions" (which are so over-the-top that they practically come across as parody) have become so predictable at this point than I could guess what rating he could give a movie coming out in December and be right.

Sounds good - - what will be my ratings for Revolutionary Road and The Strange Case of Benjamin Button?

(BTW: Is anyone surprised that Libs is commenting on a low comedy film she hasn't seen? Nope, me neither... ;) )

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:42 am
Sbil

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Libs wrote:

Sounds good - - what will be my ratings for Revolutionary Road and The Strange Case of Benjamin Button?

(BTW: Is anyone surprised that Libs is commenting on a low comedy film she hasn't seen? Nope, me neither... ;) )

I'm going to say...

1 out of 5 for Revolutionary Road.

92 out of 5 for Benjamin Button.

I don't even care if those aren't "right" when the time comes. The point is your opinions on both of them will likely be ludicrously exaggerated.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:47 am
Devil's Advocate

To be honest though Libs, while I mean this as no offense (it's no sin to have predictable movie tastes... it is only how you feel about the movie), you're kind of a pot calling the kettle black here. I can pick out most of your grades and reviews from a mile away.

For the record while he's had some questionable choices here and there, I've actually come to trust bradley's grades more than most people's here... I actually kind of want to see The Love Guru now! (though a similar reaction from someone I know on a different board helped that too)

At the very least, his reviews are something different than hearing the RT consensus repeated throughout a thread.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:11 am
Pure Phase

It barely holds together as a 'film,' but had more than enough colorful gags and one-liners to please me for its short running time. In other words, I didn't give a shit whether the NHL star ended up with his estranged wife or not, but I sure enjoyed the zany antics of Myers (and Colbert!) along the way. Also loved the musical numbers (sitar-heavy, "Within You Without You"-esque renditions of "9 to 5" and "The Joker").

B-

BTW, is Jessica Alba a terrible actress or what? I'm not sure even the 'eye-candy' argument will persuade me to tolerate her much longer.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:01 am
Leader of the Pack

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Bravo, Mike Myers!
35 out of 5.

Yay! I'm not the only one! Although i had a funny feeling you would love it too Bradley... You and I share a great taste in comedies (Walk Hard ;) ). I don't believe i have ever agreed with you on anything but comedies, but its all good! :thumbsup:

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:06 am
Sbil

Shack wrote:
To be honest though Libs, while I mean this as no offense (it's no sin to have predictable movie tastes... it is only how you feel about the movie), you're kind of a pot calling the kettle black here. I can pick out most of your grades and reviews from a mile away.

For the record while he's had some questionable choices here and there, I've actually come to trust bradley's grades more than most people's here... I actually kind of want to see The Love Guru now! (though a similar reaction from someone I know on a different board helped that too)

At the very least, his reviews are something different than hearing the RT consensus repeated throughout a thread.

Sorry, Bradley frustrates me because he's actually condescending about his wacky opinions.

Whenever some movie comes along that everyone loves and he hates, he always makes some stupid comments to people like "See it again in ten years" or "Brainwashed by the hype!" It's freaking ridiculous.

It'd be fine if he had just predictable opinions (which I apparently do?). But his attitudes toward other people are so irritating that it just pisses me off.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:58 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

tbh Libs reviews are quite accurate. a lot of people can see a B grade movie from a mile away. judging by the movies that Libs sees, she's not gonna waste $10 on something that looks questionable.

Bradley on the other hand. He's a fucking looney toon. i mean look at the happening thread. i mean not everyone has to agree with the RT concensus, i don't, but honestly Bradley's results are far too predictable. in fact, i've seen in many threads how excited he is for a film, and films that he knows he's gonna hate.

the difference is that libs will spend money on something she honestly thinks is a) entertaining or b) interesting.

bradley sees any movie and every movie, and to go into a film with the conclusion "this will suck". and Bradley doesn't really review the films he watches.

Exhibit A
Remember the days when toilet seats were comfortable.

The director was clearly born in the wrong era.

This actor really assured me that she can still act.

Best kids movie since Night At the Museum.
19 out of 5

Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:55 am
Orphan

Shack is right with Libs. I practically guarantee she'll love Mamma Mia!, for example. Libs also seems to get pissed off about everything, from Bradley's opinions to the Fantasy Mogul numbers getting their own thread. Really, there should be more important things in life than getting worked up about stupid stuff like that.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:54 pm
Sbil

Joe wrote:
Shack is right with Libs. I practically guarantee she'll love Mamma Mia!, for example.

I'm not denying that my opinions are also "predictable."

My point was that Bradley is predictable in that he's unpredictable, if that makes any sense. You always know that he will give the most asinine looking films like 90432343484983696539 out of 5, probably just to be weird.

Like I said, I wouldn't even care, but Bradley feels the need to be condescending towards others by making stupid little posts about how we're all "hypewashed" or "need to see it again in 10 years and then come up with a different opinion" or whatever.

And Joe, chill. We're not having problems right now, I don't feel like getting into another tiff. Peace is good :)

Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:57 pm
Stanley Cup

honestly both libs and bradley are both predictable.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:06 pm
Extraordinary

Jim Halpert wrote:

But Lib's predictability is just her taste. Bradford is just trying to piss people off and prove that he is somehow holier than thou.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:09 pm
Stanley Cup

snack wrote:
Jim Halpert wrote:

But Lib's predictability is just her taste. Bradford is just trying to piss people off and prove that he is somehow holier than thou.

get over it.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:11 pm
ef star star kay

Everyone is somehow predictable. It's kind of family thing. Like you know what your sister will like, what your brother will hate. We may piss each other off sometimes. Fight is just a part of one big family.

cheesy but true. :sweat:

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:53 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Libs isn't the most predictable. She went from being a fan of Clint Eastwood to bashing him and not even bothering to see his last movie. It was bizarre. Not quite as bizarre as her becoming a King Kong fangirl, despite it's quality. You guys predicted that stuff?

I think everybody has some predictability about them if you know what they like.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

Why is it impossible to believe bradley might actually mean what he says? The grades may be blown up for effect... but I buy the reviews. PoJon and trixster had the same reaction to The Happening and seemingly liked it for the same reason, and Viperman/someone I know at a different board had the same to The Love Guru. It's not impossible that someone actually likes these films.

ps libs this isn't directed at you, I know you already replied you're more upset with the condescending attitude

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:26 pm
Veteran

Libs is predictable, but in a good way. Bradley is predictable in an overbearing sense. But both arguments are such dead points, lets get on and realize this movie is shit. (kidding haven't seen it).

Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next