Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 

What grade would you give this film?
A 18%  18%  [ 8 ]
B 39%  39%  [ 17 ]
C 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
D 18%  18%  [ 8 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 44

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 
The Original

I hate it. AOTC is far better.
4 Points for: Some nice visuals
Darth Maul (Cool Villain wasted in bad movie)

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:02 pm
You must have big rats

4/10
I hate it. AOTC is far better.
4 Points for: Some nice visuals
Darth Maul (Cool Villain wasted in bad movie)

I agree on every single account.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

The embodiment of entertainment, 12 August 1999

Here we are nearing the end of the summer and by now people have already formed their own opinions of the film so what I have to say really may be inconsequential in deciding whether or not you like the film. I happened to love it for all that it is, and all that people hated about this artform, I also loved. I loved the CGI in this film, Jar Jar made me howl, the pod race was breathtaking, Darth Maul was perfect and the lightsabre battle at the end was right up there with the battle in Empire and Return. Natalie Portman was a beautiful queen and Jake Lloyd played young Anakin wonderfully. George Lucas directed with a frenzied energy and John Williams score was heartstopping. It filled you with emotion and I could listen to that soundtrack with the lights off in my room any day or night. The script was funny and it also had it's share of lessons and Jedi folklore. The Jedi council was a great introduction into what Jedi's were like before " A New Hope." Ewan McGregor was perfect as a young Obi Wan Kenobi, even nailing down his accent and dialect perfectly. Liam Neeson was perfectly subdued as the veteran Jedi Master and teacher. And the editting was sensational as it managed to paste together five simultaneous situations at then end and this is what kept you breathless. The Emperor story was also fun and it gave you a history as to where he came from. I loved everything about this film. There are not many films that come out that make you feel like you are back in the 80's when pure entertainment like Raiders and Rambo and Back To The Future graced our screens. But The Phantom Menace does and it concentrates on entertaining the crowd for the full 120 minutes that it is on screen. And this is one of the best movies to come out this summer ( I still hold Blair Witch as the pinnacle of all films this summer, TPM is a close second). I think when people cut this film up it's because people want to hate it. It is cool to be able to go to work and say " I just didn't like it. " After all, it sounds much more intellectual if you can go there and say that you enjoyed A Midnight Summer's Dream more than Star Wars. And you know what? It also makes you a liar. Star Wars is pure entertainment. It captures the child in every one of us and brings back to a time when we were kids again. It is a movie that for two hours takes our minds off of deranged killers going into brokerage firms and shooting everyone, it takes us away from Columbine and away from headlines of animal beatings and mass genocide in Europe. These are things that we have to deal with in the real world, but in the theater when the lights go down and those words appear before us " A long time ago in a galaxy far far away.... " we just sit back and let our minds go and enjoy what is on screen. Star Wars The Phantom Menace is a great film and it is a treasure to finally be able to watch this film after 16 years of purgatory. And I am not disappointed in the film. It makes you yearn for the next one. 2002 seems like it is eons away. But pre-production has already begun. It will be here soon, just not soon enough.

You know, there are films that I don't like that make tons of money ( The Whole Batman Series ) so maybe I speak with a forked tongue when I mention this, but folks, movies like Titanic and TPM don't make 600 and 400 million domestically because of hype and curiosity. They do so because of strong word of mouth. People actually enjoy it. And isn't that what we ultimately want when we see a film? Entertainment? The Phantom Menace does that and it has you leaving the theater feeling that the 20 bucks you spent on a ticket and M&M's is worth it. And that's all I ask for.

9/10

Sat May 07, 2005 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Wow! Surprised I liked this because I hated it when I was little. It was a very fun movie, much better than ATTACK OF THE CLONES.

8/10 (B+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun May 29, 2005 3:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Superman: The Movie

Even though Jar Jar Binks is quite annoying throughout the film, I still found the film to be very good. It also help set up the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin in the second film. I also liked the lightsaber fight at the end of the film with Darth Maul, especially the music by John Williams during the scene. It was the big highlight of the film.

All in all, it's a solid film, but it's by far the worst of the six films.

A-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun May 29, 2005 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Squee

This is the one Star Wars movie I have no plans on purchasing.

Phantom Menace: *3/4

:glare:

Sun May 29, 2005 10:48 pm
No Wire Tampons!

[B-] Not really a bad movie, just somethings didnt make any sense at all and Lucas kind of exposed himself as a crappy writer and director here. Hes clearly become too addicted to the [beautiful] cgi.

Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

An utter embarassement for the Star Wars franchise. About 95% of the film is CGI-animted. I'd be better off with Toy Story, at least it has better screenwriting. This is seriously a movie that you can watch with no sound turn on and yet understand everything because dialogue doesn't matter anyway and is quite bad. Jake Lloyd is just bad and Jar Jar Binks is far more annyoing than all Ewoks altogether.

The redeeming points is the cool villain that is Darth Maul, the final lightsaber fight and the halfway entertaining Pod Race. Other than that, this film is utterly

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

9/10

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

after seeing your kong comments baumer this throws a new light on things :hahaha:

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:43 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:45 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

As this film ages, its getting more and more support. It really needed to loose the hype around it to be thoroughly enjoyed. I stand by that the final lightsaber duel is the best in any of the films. It doesn't relly to heavily on the CGI, and really the death of Qui Gon was horrible, the only real character I liked in the new series killed so early. It was a good restart, but definately had a lot of problems.
6/10- though considering its a Star Wars film, on a whole its the worst.

AOTC/ 7/10- Very big improvent. On The border of the older films.

ROTS- 8/10. Were finally there and it was worth it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:45 am
All Star Poster

Easily the worst of the Starwars franchise, It dosnt quit make my top ten worst sequels ever, but I went to go see this when I was 10 and the film was so boring I fell to sleep on it. Episode I does have some redeeming parts but overall its a big disapointment.

B-

Last edited by DIB2 on Sat May 24, 2008 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:40 am
Devil's Advocate

I still liked it quite a bit. Trade storyline was pretty crappy, but the podrace was cool, Obi Wan was done well, and Darth Maul and that lightsaber battle is completley badass.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:00 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
sucks
F

Fri May 23, 2008 4:30 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Great action and visuals, a strong story, but Jake Lloyd CANNOT act. Jar Jar is unbearable and things seem a little...lifeless this time around.

B

Fri May 23, 2008 6:34 pm
He didn't look busy?!

It's a disagrace to Star Wars, but you can't say that it isn't entertaining. Lucas can at least do that much right. The second-worst film of the bunch.

B-

Sat May 24, 2008 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

billybobwashere wrote:
It's a disgrace to Star Wars, but you can't say that it isn't entertaining.

It isn't entertaining. Now what?

This film is a vile, racist piece of shit.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat May 24, 2008 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re:
Thegun wrote:
As this film ages, its getting more and more support.

Where's the evidence to back this up?

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

Sat May 24, 2008 8:35 pm
Profile WWW

Good movie.

Sun May 25, 2008 6:26 am
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

box-2004 wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:
It's a disgrace to Star Wars, but you can't say that it isn't entertaining.

It isn't entertaining. Now what?
It's certainly enjoyable fluff fun. It's not close to as entertaining as other recent summer blockbusters, but I can watch it more than once without getting bored.

Quote:
I sort of agree with you on the racist bits; both Jar-Jar and the Viceroy guys were huge examples...but I'm not sure if Lucas even realized what he was doing there. I know he got a lot of hate when the first Star Wars came out for having no black characters...aside from Darth Vader.

Sun May 25, 2008 11:48 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Re:
box-2004 wrote:
Thegun wrote:
As this film ages, its getting more and more support.

Where's the evidence to back this up?

Everyone on boards like this used to hate it. Now I would say the average grade is in the low B range. Its certainly risen over the years.

I say the biggest gripe is that Anakin probably should have been the same age as he was in Clones or Luke in the beginning for this movie. Him as a kid just didnt gel. Everything except that and Jar Jar was on the Star Wars average of entertainment.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun May 25, 2008 12:03 pm
Extraordinary

billybobwashere wrote:

Quote:
I sort of agree with you on the racist bits; both Jar-Jar and the Viceroy guys were huge examples...but I'm not sure if Lucas even realized what he was doing there. I know he got a lot of hate when the first Star Wars came out for having no black characters...aside from Darth Vader.

That doesn't make it any better; in fact, it makes it worse. Lucas in general has a pedestrian mind.

MadGez wrote:

Sun May 25, 2008 1:42 pm
Profile WWW

box-2004 wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:

Quote:

That doesn't make it any better; in fact, it makes it worse. Lucas in general has a pedestrian mind.

Can you elaborate further, does that mean Lucas is human?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun May 25, 2008 1:56 pm
Extraordinary

Lolz, no, that's not what it means.

What it means is that Lucas is an unoriginal filmmaker without much depth or intelligence. What he's good at is making money.

MadGez wrote:

Sun May 25, 2008 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Motherfuckin' sexual

Rewatching this as someone older, I really found myself enjoying it. Sure the acting and dialogue are dreadful, but the details are spectacular. Lucas just starts showing off when the battle scenes are of an epic scale. Great lightsaber fight and podracing scene save this movie big time.

B

Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next