Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Memento 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 31 ]
B 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 38

Memento 
life begins now

An excellent movie. I'm still not sure I get it, but it's great nonetheless.

A-

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:42 am
Profile YIM
loyalfromlondon

One of the most brilliant films of all time, with the most unique story structure perhaps ever. Put in proper order, the story would be nothing special, but the brilliance comes with how it is laid out, to maximize suspense and mimic the lead character's condition. The climax of the film is very thought-provoking, and ties everything else up nicely, though repeated viewings are required. Solid acting all-around, with Pearce's flawless performance leading the way. Fantastic editing. And a very interesting idea. All in all, one of the best films of the last ten years.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:58 pm
Wall-E

One of those rare movies that I rented but didn't actually watch.

I hope you've gotten around to watching it..... Its a great movie that is unique.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Memento
It's really one of those films that pops up one year, makes hype out of nowhere, and becomes an instant classic... Eternal Sunshine was the same, and for me, Once. It's perfect.

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:57 pm
loyalfromlondon

Magnus wrote:
Memento is a prime example of why neo-noir is vastly suprior to its "predcessor" film-noir. Godly amazing film that will stand the test of time.

A+++++++++++++++++++++++

Nah.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:46 pm
loyalfromlondon

Oops, I forgot, you don't like Casablanca. So I don't have to argue my point, you're automatically wrong. :P

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:48 pm
I just lost the game

Holy fuck.

I need to watch ti again to make sure I have a better grasp on my grade. As a preliminary gauge of feeling, I was floored.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:36 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I thought it was entertaining enough the first time, but upon second viewing I rather detested it. It isn't a movie so much as a gimmick, a trick. All I could see was the wheels turning.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:13 pm
You must have big rats

Okay, so let me say this at first. I knew about the movie's "ending" (well, we're speaking in relative terms here) and its twist way beforehand. It was spoiled to me somewhere online and ever since then I lost all interest in the film as I felt I knew its most integral plot point.

However, since then I've seen Batman Begins and The Prestige both of which I love. A lot of that love resulted from my appreciation of Nolan's direction. Therefore, I decided that I'll eventually see Insomnia and Memento in a double feature eventually. It took me some time, but last month I finally got to it. What shall I say...I was stunned.

There's no denying the fact that noit knowing the twist beforehand would have bolstered my enjoyment of the film even more. However, even with that knowledge I could still fully appreciate the movie and was very engaged by its storyline. The style and simply the general idea are just tremendous. It certainly deserved that Best Original Screenplay nom at the Oscars. I loved the way the story was told in two directions: the color scenes from the end back to the beginning and the black 'n white scenes in the opposite direction until they converge at the movie's end (or is it the beginning?). Memento is one of those rare films that keeps you guessing and genuinely intriguing you up until the very end and at the end it all starts making perfect sense at once. It's not just that, though. Through its reversed storytelling, the viewer keeps getting questions and answers to them five minutes later all throughout the film. I was just amazed by how well thought-out this whole thing was. The editing obviously helped the matter a lot too.

However praising the screenplay and the director only doesn't do justice to the film's cast and in particular its lead. I've liked Guy Pearce ever since L. A. Confidential, but he's been somewhat out of the spotlight ever since then. Memento reminded me once again of what a great actor he is. Too bad he didn't go the way of Crowe and Spacey to achieve stardom after L. A. Confidential. Joe Pantoliano and Carrie Anne Moss provide solid support.

While I partly (yes, only partly) knew the reveal at the end of the film, I still have to admire its ingenuity and its tragedy. How the whole thing tied together with Sammy Jankis' story and what it implies for Lenny and his murder of Teddy. When he set up the trail to Teddy, he knew he's not the murderer and yet, he knew he'd kill him eventually. How the whole thing plays out and its together is just great. Now I'm pretty sure that upon closer investigation, there are a couple of holes to pop up in this logic. I was also not as fond of the Natalie/Dodd subplot. However, as for the rest - simple brilliance.

Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Wow, a perfect track of 16 As so far. Quite awesome (and well-deserved).

Thu May 22, 2008 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

A

I love this film as well. Saw it on TV ages ago, was angry at myself for taking too long to get around to it.

Fri May 23, 2008 12:52 pm

A masterpiece, and how did people get confused watching this film? I followed it fairly easily.

PS- What year did this come out? It is listed as 2000 on imdb.com, but I here that is wrong from somewhere...

Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:29 pm

Scratch that year, I did my research and discovered the answer.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:45 pm

Throughout the whole film I was thinking it was between a 5 and a perfect 10, than the twist towards the ending (the whole killer's already dead thing) I find really annoying and was thinking it was between a 4-5, cause the rest of the movie was great. But then Nolan used all that to exploit the emotional and physco analysis and make fascinating points about moralistic values and humanity. This example and these points, not to mention the revelation that he was used but only as far as he was willing to be, really take this film far beyond the marvelous thriller it already was, and turn it into one of the most brilliant films I have seen. I think some here overrate it, it is certainly not one of top 5 or 10, probably not even on my top 20, but it is amazing.

A perfect 10

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue May 26, 2009 3:06 am

yoshue wrote:
I thought it was entertaining enough the first time, but upon second viewing I rather detested it. It isn't a movie so much as a gimmick, a trick. All I could see was the wheels turning.

I'm ashamed by this comment, yoshue. I can totally see the train of thought, at least at many moments of the film, but by the end it is far from a gimmick, it is brilliance. I wouldn't I'm surprised by your misread of the film, at least you misread it IMO, but I was hoping for more from you.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue May 26, 2009 3:10 am
Extraordinary

One of my favorite films of 2001 (and that was a great year for movies!) - - a very engaging brain twister which didn't neglect the drama.

Sad to see how Christopher Nolan's career has been on a continuous downward spiral since then, with each movie worse than the one before - - but then of course, we've seen Hollywood chew up and spit out many talented directors down the years...

Tue May 26, 2009 4:39 am
The Lubitsch Touch

John Savage wrote:
yoshue wrote:

I'm ashamed by this comment, yoshue. I can totally see the train of thought, at least at many moments of the film, but by the end it is far from a gimmick, it is brilliance. I wouldn't I'm surprised by your misread of the film, at least you misread it IMO, but I was hoping for more from you.

sry richard roeper it sux

Tue May 26, 2009 11:11 am

yoshue wrote:
John Savage wrote:
yoshue wrote:

sry richard roeper it sux

If you call me richard roper again, I shall forever carry around a sig that simply says (yoshue=ben lyons) you motherfucker!

Wed May 27, 2009 3:25 am
The Wall

He could've called you Roger Ebert. That's like hundred times worse.

Wed May 27, 2009 2:15 pm
Profile WWW

Nah, at least Ebert has a brain. It may be highly defective, and he can't talk, but it's still there. More than can be said for Richard Roeper.

Wed May 27, 2009 4:36 pm
The Wall

The existence of brain is overrated. It makes no difference to some individuals.

Wed May 27, 2009 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Also in my top 5 favorite films. Just so great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thu May 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Magnus wrote:
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to be Richard Roeper. He's semi-famous and rich for not doing that much at all. Pretty good life I say.

He's an idiot and mouth-off with no taste in film. Moreover he is a small contribution to the downfall of society (as are so many people) to me, this is a large price to pay for being rich without doing anything.

Fri May 29, 2009 4:42 am
Extraordinary

Benjamin Milk!!! You're ruining this review thread for a great movie with your ongoing threadcrapping. Make a thread elsewhere to discuss your petty grievances...

Fri May 29, 2009 5:25 am
100% That Bitch

A+

My mind= Blown.

Inception is pretty straightforward compared to this.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next