Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Raising Arizona 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Raising Arizona 

Post Raising Arizona
Raising Arizona

Quote:
Raising Arizona is a 1987 comedy film directed by the Coen Brothers and starring Nicolas Cage, Holly Hunter, William Forsythe, John Goodman, Frances McDormand and Randall "Tex" Cobb. Not a blockbuster at the time of its release, it has since achieved cult status. In typical Coen Brothers fare, the movie is replete with symbolism, visual gags, yodeling folk music, unconventional characters, flamboyant camera work, pathos, and idiosyncratic dialogue. The film ranked #31 on the American Film Institute's 100 Years... 100 Laughs and #45 on Bravo's "100 Funniest Movies."

Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:15 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Raising Arizona
I guess I didn't get it, because I only laughed twice. If that. I suppose comedy's pretty subjective, but I couldn't see the cleverness or humour at all. I just found it silly and stupid. Maybe I just don't get the Coens' brand of humour. There's nothing about the film that I really hated, but nothing really appealed to me either. I tend to judge comedies more on how funny they are than anything else, but this couldn't even make me laugh. It's not as bad as most of the dreck that gets released today, but it's nowhere near my list of funniest films. I'm having a hard time expressing my feeling for this film in words, and that's probably due to my main reaction: apathy. I just didn't care when the film was over.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:15 am

I hated it and shut it off halfway through on a first view when I was about 12. I liked it more or less but wasn't that fond when I was 16 and saw it. When I saw it a couple years ago I thought it was hilarious. I'd like to watch it one more time to solidify my opinion, but I think it's a very funny movie that needs a couple re-watches to find the humor. It's just very odd and inaccessible and finds humor in a unique fashion that you have to kind of access for a bit to find funny.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:18 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

It has its good share of laughs and can be a bit over the top but it is also a bit inconsistent at times. Cage is good though and Goodman is great as always.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

A fun and ridiculous times with equally ridiculous characters. Is it too much sometimes? Yes. Cage's cutesey southern narration almost had me out of it right at the start. Glad I stuck with it though because the second half of the movie, beginning with the big chase scene, is the perfect amount of whacky. Of course everyone who kidnaps the child falls in love with it and must do even more ridiculous things to protect it while also living a life of crime.

B+

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]