Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Beowulf (2007) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 28%  28%  [ 9 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 10 ]
C 34%  34%  [ 11 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 32

Beowulf (2007) 
Extraordinary

Post Beowulf (2007)
Beowulf

Quote:
Beowulf is a 2007 American performance capture fantasy film based on the Old English epic poem of the same name. Directed by Robert Zemeckis, the film was created through a motion capture process similar to the technique used in The Polar Express and Monster House. The cast includes Ray Winstone, Anthony Hopkins, Robin Wright Penn, Brendan Gleeson, John Malkovich, Crispin Glover, Alison Lohman, and Angelina Jolie. It was released in the United Kingdom and United States on November 16, 2007, and was available to view in IMAX 3D, RealD, Dolby 3D and standard 2D format.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

Post Re: Beowulf
Suckadoodledoo! F

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:28 am
Where will you be?

Now I can understand why Levy's reaction has been so wildly different than big reviewers. Guys, don't bother seeing Beowulf in any other way but 3D. The film represents two enormous step forwards in the way blockbusters are made, and to truly be immersed in both aspects 3D is essential. The characters, objects, all are now viewed in a perspective that makes the experience as close to first-person as films have ever been. While the film's long takes may make the pace out to be slow when the film is seen in a lesser medium it was not meant for, in 3D these shots are really something to behold. Even better, the story is fantastic, the best thing Robert Zemeckis has made in at least a decade. It's really astonishing this was rated PG-13 though, it's really hardcore. And for the first time in god knows when the footage you've seen is 90% from the first half of the film, which really reminds how much better movies are when you haven't already seen every single money shot. I'm all the way on the other side of the fence from Levy - Beowulf is by far the best time I've had at the movies all year long, so good that the moment I got home I immediately got to writing a four page college essay on the film and what the long term effects of the motion capture animation and digital 3D could be. Hell, I'm going to make the bravest prediction anyone on here has made about the film yet - I think even bradley is going to love it!

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:10 pm
Golfaholic

I can understand that someone is visually dazzled by the 3D-experience, but the story was for me non-existent. Seldom I have been more bored than here.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:58 pm
Devil's Advocate

My theatre isn't playing it in 3D, so I'm a little worried

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:54 pm
ef star star kay

I won't be able to watch this in 3D..

:tears:

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:43 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Even though I might have alluded otherwise Levy's big fat F had me slightly worried going in.

Thankfully even thou this ain't the best film of the year by a long shot its an engaging and visually amazing experience. Not in the mood to do a proper review so just some of my thoughts.

The first half of the film needed to be trimmed. I get it for Gods Sake stop with the constant drinking and singing in that Grand Hall!!

The second half (or to be more specific everything after Grendal is offed) is far more briskly paced and swept away any potential boredom cobwebs the first half had threatened me with. The Last act smackdown is pretty intense stuff.

How the hell this got only a PG-13 rating i'll never know, its a cavalcade of blood and gore and breasts!!

The animation is overall stunning and calmed some of my fears about it looking to plastic. Still the fact they spent the most time on Jolie's character is evident.

As for the dialogue ain't oscarworthy I'll say that much, but its not a disaster either. I mean most of the clunky stuff comes from characgers that are very drunk so it makes sense in a way.

The flashback of Beowulf fighting the sea monsters required me to strap my use of logic to a large rocket and fire it at Saturn before it went mad.

Oh and I didn't see this in 3-D so I can only imagine how good that would be.

So yeah decent enough film that maybe just needs some first act fat cut out.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:30 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
The flashback of Beowulf fighting the sea monsters required me to strap my use of logic to a large rocket and fire it at Saturn before it went mad.

do tell

Well he pretty much fillets 100 foot long monsters with nothing more then a butter knife and then proceeds to explode out of one of their eyeballs screaming BEOWULF!!!!

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:54 pm
Motherfuckin' sexual

How was the Cloverfield trailer?

Is this it?

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=co ... ink&id=158

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Better than the poem, which is just a mound of paper academics jerk off to.

3D is an integral part of this film, unlike with 3D films of the past. This movie is not worth watching without 3D, just as most movies are not worth watching without dialogue. It's that important. Don't heed the low votes, any more than you'd heed low votes on a movie without its audio.

Not every movie is meant to be Schindler's List. Film, just like visual art, has a wide range of expression, though unlike visual art (with admirers of every style) it is choked harder by snobbishness. Judge an experimental film by the success of its intention, not by a fixed artistic yardstick. Beowulf succeeds in the visual dimension, and that's art in my book.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:45 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Angela Merkel wrote:

3D is an integral part of this film, unlike with 3D films of the past. This movie is not worth watching without 3D, just as most movies are not worth watching without dialogue. It's that important. Don't heed the low votes, any more than you'd heed low votes on a movie without its audio.

Not every movie is meant to be Schindler's List. Film, just like visual art, has a wide range of expression, though unlike visual art (with admirers of every style) it is choked harder by snobbishness. Judge an experimental film by the success of its intention, not by a fixed artistic yardstick. Beowulf succeeds in the visual dimension, and that's art in my book.

Marry Me.

It is odd I enjoyed it without 3D thou :(

Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:56 pm
Squee

Gullimont wrote:
Angela Merkel wrote:

Marry Me.

Careful how you answer this, Hito. He'll actually be in Chicago next year!

:glare:

Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:57 pm

Squee wrote:
Gullimont wrote:
Angela Merkel wrote:

Marry Me.

Careful how you answer this, Hito. He'll actually be in Chicago next year!

No need for caution. There's no chance for civil union; I'm in Houston next year.

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:54 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

A solid B. I think had this been more of a R, it would have been awesome. There are fantastic sequences. Beowolf has a hot body. Glad we got to see a lot of skin in that regard.

I hated the queen. She was the fakest looking character; was she supposed to be blind or was her always staring into space on purpose?!

But yeah, it was def gory. It wasn't horrible that's for sure.

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:09 am

Desperate Houseboi wrote:
I hated the queen. She was the fakest looking character; was she supposed to be blind or was her always staring into space on purpose?!

I think she's completely out of her mind, considering both of her husbands loved and impregnated the same demon, while just using her as a sex toy. Understandable, really. ;)

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:12 am
why so serious?

Gullimont wrote:
Even though I might have alluded otherwise Levy's big fat F had me slightly worried going in.

Thankfully even thou this ain't the best film of the year by a long shot its an engaging and visually amazing experience. Not in the mood to do a proper review so just some of my thoughts.

The first half of the film needed to be trimmed. I get it for Gods Sake stop with the constant drinking and singing in that Grand Hall!!

The second half (or to be more specific everything after Grendal is offed) is far more briskly paced and swept away any potential boredom cobwebs the first half had threatened me with. The Last act smackdown is pretty intense stuff.

How the hell this got only a PG-13 rating i'll never know, its a cavalcade of blood and gore and breasts!!

The animation is overall stunning and calmed some of my fears about it looking to plastic. Still the fact they spent the most time on Jolie's character is evident.

As for the dialogue ain't oscarworthy I'll say that much, but its not a disaster either. I mean most of the clunky stuff comes from characgers that are very drunk so it makes sense in a way.

Oh and I didn't see this in 3-D so I can only imagine how good that would be.

So yeah decent enough film that maybe just needs some first act fat cut out.

You pretty much nailed my thoughts. I'd grade it a B.

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:47 am

One more note: I can understand gripes about the dialogue, but gripes about the plot fly right past me. Beowulf's plot is very concise and to-the-point, with appreciably few plot holes. The execution may have dragged a little, but the story is more gripping and watertight (and even tragic) than for most blockbuster fare we're fed these days.

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:53 am
Begging Naked

Definitely meant to be experienced in 3D. Watching otherwise is almost like watching Gone with the Wind in B&W. The battle with Grendel and eventual showdown with the dragon are probably two of the best action sequences this year, largely thanks to the 3D. Otherwise, I could take or leave it, probably. Certainly wasn't enough to convince me that 2D experience will go the way of B&W, but it's getting there very slowly. Very.

As for the actual substance...eh. I like the plot dynamics presented, mainly involving Grendel's mother, but I never really felt for the characters, and when it was over I had forgotten about most of the characters by the time I was chomping down my burrito at Taco Bell. I think this just might be a problem for me with this genre of film anyway though, as the only two other olden days films that I've seen in the last two years were King Arthur (The most boring film ever) and 300 (Possibly the most overrated blockbuster I've ever seen).

Overall, an excellent experience, if a slightly empty film itself.

***/****

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:48 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

B

Solid fantasy and gore film. I saw it in 2D thus I think my reaction would be better if I got the 3D, but I enjoyed it. I definitley agree that the plot works, I was surprised at where they took it at times and it was well-told for the genre. The performances while motion-captured are fine, I especially liked little things like Winstone's facial reactions, like right before Hopkins jumps and he's realizing his probable mistake.

The animation is obviously pretty great, Jolie definitley got the most money but lots of the action sequences looked good. I think my favorite part of the movie was Grendel, totally disgusting and crazy but I loved it. I thought the first attack scene by him was really well done, lots of brutal gore and fun.

It's not really outstanding and probably won't be memorable at all a few years from now, but there's worse out there.

Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:15 am
Extraordinary

[b]BEOWULF[/b]

GRADE C

Cloverfield Trailer attached to it was Amazing and I'm dying to watch that movie!

As to Beowulf, I did like the beginning of the film as it jumped right into the action and introduced us to Grendel about 10 mins in. I can't say I don't like the blended animation technique that's used but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. There were more than just a few parts of the movie that had ridiculous scenes in it such as the whole nude fight scene, the single person "clap" every now and then, the sexual innuendo throughout the PG13 film, and the changing up of the story of Beowulf. All this really tempered any enthusiam I had for the film. Overall, I thought it was okay, nothing great. I did enjoy the music though. Lastly, the only way to watch the film is in 3D. I can't imagine I would have stayed for the whole film if I didn't have the glasses on keeping me in my seat.

** another little note **

I couldn't believe some of the reactions afterward. A group of guys (20s) were all giddy about the whole nude fight scene and one lady said she thought it was good and enjoyed it. To each their own, but reviews are decidedly all over the place.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:27 pm
Commander and Chef

after reading up on the poem, i'm more than happy that they changed teh story. the poem was 3 random battles (well, the first 2 sorta connected). never work for a movie.

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

watched the movie LOVED IT.

A+

Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Golfaholic

LadiesMan217 wrote:
watched the movie LOVED IT.

A+

now here's a shocker

Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:46 pm
Kypade

I didn't like it much at all. Outside of some great visuals (some, not all), it's kinda uninteresting.

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:39 pm
---------

Interesting movie, didn't really want to see it, but went and saw it in the IMAX with some friends. The premise is fantastic, the story and dialogue inbetween not great. Actions scenes are great, but it is a necessity to see it in 3-D. The film does have some laughable moments like the nude fight scene, a conspicous dialogue about enjoying the king's meat, and an Austin Powers-esque nudity coverage.

Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next