Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mission: Impossible II 

What grade would you give this film?
A 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
B 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15

Mission: Impossible II 
Extraordinary

Post Re:
Schlomo wrote:
The plot of Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious + the slo mo action of The Matrix + the entire face mask gimmick from Face/Off = Mission Impossible 2

I hadn't noticed that comment before - - I suppose one might even believe it was true - - at least if they also believed the world started in 1997.

M:I II remains the only good Mission: Impossible movie, because it was the only one made in the true spirit of the original TV show. The reason the show was so successful and is still remembered today is because the producer Bruce Geller invented such a brilliant formula for constructing the screenplays.

Call me naive, but I still retain hope that the upcoming fourth entry in this franchise will get back to basics and be another great Mission: Impossible movie like this second one was - - surely Brad Bird understands the basics of story mechanics.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:58 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Re:
Bradley Witherberry wrote:
M:I II remains the only good Mission: Impossible movie, because it was the only one made in the true spirit of the original TV show.

You usually don't troll so obviously. Or you've never seen the TV show.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:31 pm
Romosexual!

The Dark Shape wrote:
M:I II remains the only good Mission: Impossible movie, because it was the only one made in the true spirit of the original TV show.

:thumbsup:

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:39 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Schlomo wrote:
The plot of Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious + the slo mo action of The Matrix + the entire face mask gimmick from Face/Off = Mission Impossible 2

I hadn't noticed that comment before - - I suppose one might even believe it was true - - at least if they also believed the world started in 1997.

M:I II remains the only good Mission: Impossible movie, because it was the only one made in the true spirit of the original TV show. The reason the show was so successful and is still remembered today is because the producer Bruce Geller invented such a brilliant formula for constructing the screenplays.

Call me naive, but I still retain hope that the upcoming fourth entry in this franchise will get back to basics and be another great Mission: Impossible movie like this second one was - - surely Brad Bird understands the basics of story mechanics.

I grew up on MISSION: Impossible and I can tell you: MI:2 is nothing more than a glorified MTV Video to showcase Tom Cruise's pearly white teeth and in no way shape and form does this even resemble the TV Show except by name.. I highly suggest you HULU The TV Show with Peter Graves and a cast of others to fully understand it..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:08 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Mission: Impossible II
Rev wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

FTR, I have seen the entire series multiple times, including the first season with original team leader Dan Briggs (played by Steven Hill, perhaps better known for his long running role on Law & Order). While there were a few off-formula episodes, especially in the later seasons, one of the key aspects that made Mission: Impossible so durable in our cultural memory, was it's stylish and precise screenplay formula. Series creator Bruce Geller wisely recognized that the formula could only be weakened by dallying with character development and intra-office intrigues - - something the movies' directors/screenwriters not only ignored, but embraced - - with the exception of the incomparable John Woo in this second entry in the film franchise.

If you enjoy generic spy thrillers, then go ahead and watch M:I and M:I 3. Otherwise, stick with this movie, or better yet, invest in a boxset of the classic original series and educate yourself on what the real deal is all about.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:25 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Rev wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:

FTR, I have seen the entire series multiple times, including the first season with original team leader Dan Briggs (played by Steven Hill, perhaps better known for his long running role on Law & Order). While there were a few off-formula episodes, especially in the later seasons, one of the key aspects that made Mission: Impossible so durable in our cultural memory, was it's stylish and precise screenplay formula. Series creator Bruce Geller wisely recognized that the formula could only be weakened by dallying with character development and intra-office intrigues - - something the movies' directors/screenwriters not only ignored, but embraced - - with the exception of the incomparable John Woo in this second entry in the film franchise.

If you enjoy generic spy thrillers, then go ahead and watch M:I and M:I 3. Otherwise, stick with this movie, or better yet, invest in a boxset of the classic original series and educate yourself on what the real deal is all about.

I'm sorry but your an idiot.. I didn't even get past the 1st line about how you've watched the entire series and if that were true, then you'd know MI:2 is nothing like the TV Series Witherberry so that's that.. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE was about teamwork, not a movie that relied on Tom Cruise and his pearly white teeth, hanging off a cliff to showcase the movie.. I was watching MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE when you were sperm in your dad's dick for heaven sakes.. :roll:

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:39 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Yeah, MI2 actually shits completely on the series. It's John Woo trying to make his version of a Bond film, and failing at both miserably.

This film ruined the new milennium for me. Though the Patriot and What Lies Beneath made up for it in the summer.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:51 am
Extraordinary

The original series is the one with teamwork, right?

I like that you go nuts about Bond imitating Bourne, but turning Mission: Impossible into a one-man-against-all mediocre Bond sequel makes you totally happy.

I don't hate M:I-2 (there are some really good sequences in it), but I know what it is.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:55 pm
loyalfromlondon

You're not actually trying to apply logic and reasoning to Bradley arguments, are you?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:45 pm
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
The original series is the one with the mission, right?

Fixed that for you.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:33 am
Extraordinary

The Dark Shape wrote:
The original series is the one with the mission, right?

Fixed that for you.

I don't think the word mission means what you think it means.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:25 pm
now we know

This sequel is ramped up in the style and coolness departments, and it doesn't get bogged down in complicated plots. It's sheer spy action with dollops of culture adding to the overall atmosphere throughout. The locations are stunning and really work well with the improved score. The romance is there, and the action is some of John Woo's finest work. M:I-2 is just an action feast which Linda Wagner and Cruise can be forever thankful for as it turned their franchise into a viable mainstream product.

Oh, and Thandie Newton is fucking gorgeous.

A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:33 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

The only positive thing about this movie is that its delays got Hugh Jackman the role of Wolverine.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:24 pm
Hold the door!

I like the simpler biological warfare plot line, but the characters are still underdeveloped (Thandie Newton's character is hot; that's about it) and the plot is too slow burn. The first half hour is Tom Cruise and Thandie Newton staring at each other. The action is pretty good again, I'd rate this one a hair over the first.

B-

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:25 pm
Superman: The Movie

Twelve year-old me loved this.

Update

All logic kind of goes out the window once they reach the laboratory. Slow-motion also kind of loses its intended effect once it’s been used 47 times. I think this movie hits that number once Ethan and Nyah are twirling about in their cars, and that’s about 15 minutes in.

That saying... Thandie Newton.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

It was great when I watched it as a child but now its more of style-over-substance movie. Thandie Newton and Cruise really good in this and both try hard but the script does not allow their relationship to flourish enough in these circumstances. After a great first movie this was a big down in quality. Its great that the recent movies do not follow this formula.

C+

Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:27 pm
Keeping it Light

I hadn't seen this again in it's entirety for a while, so I remembered the first half hour and a few bits well, but as a whole it felt fresh again. And this is such a great action blockbuster with Woo delivering the style and Cruise and the story doing the rest. Thandi Newton is also a great addition and Dougray Scott an excellent villain. Take a look Around from Limp Bizit is a great soundtrack song too and I love how this film continues with Hunt as the super spy agent.
However, while I think the first is pretty much a perfect film, MI2 is sometimes a bit much with few too many face swaps and slo-mo shots. Also Cruise's hand fighting skills don't feel that smooth and the big stunt, skydiving into the roof, isn't as good as in the previous film. But the opening mountain sequence, car chase at the beginning, the motor battle at the end and the virus/antidote plot are so well done that it more than makes up for these rough edges. It's just a super cool and rewatchable film.

A-

Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2