Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 No Country for Old Men 

What grade would you give this film?
A 69%  69%  [ 36 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 12 ]
C 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 52

No Country for Old Men 
I just lost the game

Post Re: No Country for Old Men
Eh. Nothing special. The cat/mouse "chase" in the middle was fucking brilliant, and the direction all around was great. Bardem was phenomenal. But, at the end of the day, I suppose the movie just didn't ring true with me, because I really don't understand the hooplah over this. B

Fri May 30, 2008 4:34 am
Extraordinary

insomniacdude wrote:
Eh. Nothing special. The cat/mouse "chase" in the middle was fucking brilliant, and the direction all around was great. Bardem was phenomenal. But, at the end of the day, I suppose the movie just didn't ring true with me, because I really don't understand the hooplah over this. B

Looks like somebody forgot to take their hype pill...

Fri May 30, 2008 4:55 am
why so serious?

If anything, I think the hype worked against the movie. I know it did for me the first time I watched it.

Fri May 30, 2008 7:39 pm
Lover of Bacon

I thoroughly enjoyed No Country for Old Men from start to finish. Perfectly crafted with a wonderful use of sound. Whilst the ending was a little jarring and did raise issues for me at the time, the more i have thought about it the more apt it seems. Bardem really was uttterly chilling, one of the most memorable villains i can think of, which really made the film for me. Good old tension hasn't been created and more importantly sustained like this in a long, long time.A

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:51 pm
now we know

It's an excellent film, but it's let down by a sub-par final third. I remember it and appreciate the same amount as when I saw it in cinemas. Would be an easy A if not for the lacking final segment.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 17, 2015 8:47 pm
Profile WWW

It took me a few viewings before I realized Tommy Lee Jones's character is the true protagonist of this tale.

Wed May 20, 2015 12:52 pm
Keeping it Light

This is small masterpiece. Great story, great characters, it's excellent all the way through. And on the one hand it's no surprise coming from the Coen brothers, whose The Big Lebowski I adore and have made other good films along the way too, but True Grit was the last film I remember seeing and that didn't really impress me. Anyway, with No Country for Old Men they hit every mark right, the 80's setting, minimized score, pacing, character development. Brolin and Bardem nail their roles and ensure its engaging as hell. Bardem character is compellingly ruthless and Brolin's easy to root for. The latter's death felt inevitable but took a bit of life out of the film, with its aftermath not as riveting of what came before. If not for P.S. I Love You which I've always held to a very high regard, but not seen for a long time either, this is my favorite film of 2007.

A

Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13