Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lars and the Real Girl 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 7 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16

Lars and the Real Girl 

Post Lars and the Real Girl
Lars and the Real Girl

Quote:
Lars and the Real Girl is a 2007 American comedy-drama film written by Nancy Oliver and directed by Craig Gillespie. It stars Ryan Gosling, Emily Mortimer, Paul Schneider, Kelli Garner and Patricia Clarkson. The film follows Lars (Gosling), a sweet yet quirky, socially inept young man, who develops a romantic relationship with an anatomically correct sex doll, a "RealDoll" named Bianca, and the story of how his older brother (Schneider), his brother's wife (Mortimer), and the rest of the small town grow to accept and welcome Bianca into the community for Lars' sake, not realising that she would touch all of their lives in such a profound way.

Despite not making its initial budget, Lars and the Real Girl was critically acclaimed. It earned an Academy Award nomination for "Best Writing (Original Screenplay)", while Gosling received a Golden Globe Award nomination for "Best Actor in a Motion Picture Comedy" and a Screen Actors Guild Award nomination for "Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role".

Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Lars and the Real Girl
A sweet, charming film with a career-best performance from Ryan Gosling.

A-

Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:25 pm
Profile YIM
Kypade

I agree that Gosling is at his best so far here, but I think there's something sorta fkd up about this movie. I found myself very uncomfortable and didn't like how funny it's supposed to be. It's very well acted and blah blah, and it's "classically" pretty fantastic. But like, man, it definitely rubbed me the wrong way.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:01 pm
Star Trek XI

ryan gosling is amazing!

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:13 pm
Extraordinary

Harold and Maude set in the Fargo universe without the killer Cat Stevens soundtrack...

GREAT.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:41 am
He didn't look busy?!

a surprisingly heartfelt and funny movie led by a strong ensemble and an even better Ryan Gosling, this was a very nice little surprise of a movie. Too bad it's doing terribly at the box office, because it's so much more deserving of people's receipts than crap like Good Luck Chuck. Gosling continues to show us his fantastic acting range, and I think it's only time before he wins an Oscar...he's probably the most talented under-30 actor in Hollywood.

B+

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Just saw this last night.

I liked it a lot, but it definitely has some issues that prevent it from being a truly great movie. The very essence of the movie is a struggle. It is easy and light, with a very naive world view. In many ways, this is the movies charm, and what makes it good in the first place. But it also becomes a determinant at certain points, as our willingness to go along with what is happening becomes less and less flexible.

The core of the movie, and the majority of its success, comes from the actors. The top three leads (Gosling, Mortimer, Schneider) are all absolutely magnificent. In many ways, Gosling is too good for the movie, as he brings a level of nuanced depth to the role that almost begins to hurt it. He actually clashes with the scripts overly-simplistic handling of mental disorders. There are moments when Lars' very real, very deep pain (and even rage) come to the surface, and these moments feel awkward when paired next to the "awe shucks" demeanor of the rest of the movie.

I haven't been too familiar with Emily Mortimer's work, but she is just perfect here. I don't think I've seen a more adorable performance in a movie in a long, long time. She actually kind of embodies the world the movie exists it, and she is magnificent.

Paul Schneider is fantastic as usual. With this and his great work earlier this year in Jesse James, he is definitely on the verge of breaking out in a big way, and this can only be a good thing. He has been deserving of it since his stuff with David Gordon Green.

So yes, this is definitely an actors movie.

I know I spent the first half of this post kind of beating up on the movie, but I really did like it. It's heartwarming and funny (and even deeply sad at parts), and it features a handful of truly transcendent moments (the party and the bowling alley come to mind) that elevate the film, if only for a brief time, to a pretty extraordinary height. Asking the film to be less naive or to take the central mental disorder more seriously is ultimately asking the movie to be something it's not, and that isn't fair. Still, it is a hard issue to ignore.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:52 pm
Superman: The Movie

Loved it. I wasn't a big fan of the entire town being on board with the "charade", but the actors and the overall tone of the film made it easy to ignore. I didn't get a chance to see Gosling in Half Nelson, but if you want to see a clinic on acting look no further than his performance here.

A

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'm surprised at the discontent with the whole town supporting Lars - - I took the film to be a modern day fairy tale, as opposed to some kind of literal docudrama, and found that the town's unity of purpose suited the movie's overall spirit...

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:53 am

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
I'm surprised at the discontent with the whole town supporting Lars - - I took the film to be a modern day fairy tale, as opposed to some kind of literal docudrama, and found that the town's unity of purpose suited the movie's overall spirit...

I bought it for the very most part. My only tiny problem with the film, is that not one person (aside from his brother) flat out called him on it. The party scene was the closest anyone ever came, and I liked that scene, but it just ended with Lars feeling extremely uncomfortable.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Jmart007 wrote:
Bradley Witherberry wrote:

I bought it for the very most part. My only tiny problem with the film, is that not one person (aside from his brother) flat out called him on it. The party scene was the closest anyone ever came, and I liked that scene, but it just ended with Lars feeling extremely uncomfortable.

It reminds me of the guys with one eye aimed in a wonky direction (or any visible disability) - - everyone usually tries to be polite and not draw attention to it - - as opposed to "calling them on it" - - Lars disability of a mental illness just didn't happen to be visible except when he was with Bianca...

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:01 pm

"Calling him on it" might have been a bad choice of words. I'm just surprised that they didn't have a scene in the movie where one random person who knew nothing of the situation, didn't come up to him and ask why he was carrying around a doll with him. Maybe there was a scene and just through off the tone of the movie? They might have thought the audience had already felt for Lars enough that they didn't need to bring the tone down even further.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I don't know if I have seen a better movie this year. The last time I was touched by a movie like this was with Brokeback Mountain. A all the way.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:42 am
Where will you be?

It actually reminded me a lot of As Good As It Gets, which I recently saw for the first time. As makeshift pointed out the actors really make the film, which I think works wonderfully as an eccentric yet heartwarming date movie, but as an actual film is a bit questionable at times. The more one can put aside the "critic" view and just go with it the more they'll like it.

Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:47 am
Begging Naked

I posted this over at AwardsDaily, but I figured I'd post it over here too. I normally don't go past a paragraph, and this isn't exactly a deep take on the film, but I loved the movie enough to share my thoughts here:

Quote:
Slowly fading off of my Atonement high (WHAT A MOVIE), I returned back to this film, which I watched earlier this evening, and was almost ashamed that I had lost this little gem by watching Atonement only an hour later. Still, this is a rather excellent film, if you're willing to accept its quirks.

But on that note, perhaps what makes this most amazingly wonderful is how, through the writing, direction and actors it somehow avoids truly falling victim to that dreaded "Q" word. The psychological aspects have been criticized as stretching, and the town going along with it as hokey, but through determined direction by Gillespie we find ourselves captivated by this community and its hospitality.

Of course it also helps to have a commanding and sure-of-itself lead performance, and Gosling truly delivers, giving Lars believable little moments that any shy person that ever had a crush will recognize, while selling his character's state of mind, never letting you doubt him for a second yet leaving enough mystery to make those final steps taken by Lars all that much unpredictable and shockingly movie. That such an offbeat but excellent performance from Gosling is actually in contention for an Oscar is so amazing that it'll be a shame if they chicken out at the last minute. However, also of note here is Emily Mortimer, delivering this monologue with such motherly compassion that it elevates the film to an amazing, moving, heart-tugging high:

"That is just not true! God! Every person in this town bends over backward to make Bianca feel at home. Why do you think she has so many places to go and so much to do? Huh? Huh? Because of you! Because - all these people - love you! We push her wheelchair. We drive her to work. We drive her home. We wash her. We dress her. We get her up, and put her to bed. We carry her. And she is not petite, Lars. Bianca is a big, big girl! None of this is easy - for any of us - but we do it... Oh! We do it for you! So don't you dare tell me how we don't care."

This is truly a one of a kind film that I'm happy someone had the guts to take to the bank and come back big. I love it.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:34 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

I really wanted to see this movie. When it's hitting DVD?

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:14 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I hope Ryan Gosling gets recognized for this film and gets an Oscar nod. He was excellent.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:42 am
Profile YIM
Team Kris

thompsoncory wrote:
I hope Ryan Gosling gets recognized for this film and gets an Oscar nod. He was excellent.

I second that and add that Emily Mortimer, in an ideal world, would be up for Best Supporting Actress.

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:22 pm
You must have big rats

This was a complete surprise to me and what a great one too! I never quite knew what to make of this film's very odd premise and how on earth they could pull this off. But they did...

The cast of this film can't be praised enough. At the risk of sounding repetitive: Ryan Gosling is fantastic here and it just doesn't get into my head how on earth they nominated Johnny Depp for one of his lesser performances, instead of Gosling who truly delivers the goods here and shows that he's one of the very best in his generation?! His performance is very nuanced, bears a lot of depth, vulnerability. It's incredible with how much restraint he played it. Pure magic. I mean the fact that you actually can "feel" the affection he has for Bianca says a whole lot of his acting abilities here. Emily Mortimer is just as equally deserving of accolades as Gosling is, though. She's charming, wonderful and her final confrontation scene with Gosling's Lars stands out as one of the movie's best scenes (and certainly the highlight of her acting job in here). But it'd be unfair to just focus on the terrific performances of these two actors here because it's the entire cast ensemble that makes the things work here. Patricia Clarkson is great as the therapeut, Paul Schneider does a great job as Lars' (seemingly) insensitive brother. Kelli Garner is a perfect match to Lars' insecurity and child-like strangeness. Both had some amazing chemistry that you rarely see in films nowadays. Also all the rest of the supporting cast, right down to the smallest roles is great. If it was up to me, this would have been nominated for the SAG Ensemble award.

The screenplay deserves just as many accolades, though. While I have yet to see The Savages, Lars and the Real Girl is certainly the best original screenplay of the four Oscar nominees I have seen in this category thus far (Juno, Michael Clayton, Ratatouille). It's not an easy feat to write something like this and make it not come across as extremely awkward and uncomfortable. In fact, I thought it walked the fine line between funny, humorous scenes and the emotional, earnest scenes very well.

I think the movie's main and impossible to overlook flaw has been mentioned in this thread a couple of times. The movie just stretches the believability a wee bit too much pretty often. Are we supposed to think that every single man, woman and child in this town plays along in this game. Now one ever attacks Lars or calls him out? Even not the ambulance or the doctors in the hospital? For a movie with many characters feeling so real, that aspect just was way to unrealistic to overlook. But this gripe aside, Craig Gillespie and Nancy Oliver crafted a very charming, enchanting and emotional movie that overcomes the obstacles of its weird premise and delivers in a way that many quriky comedies can dream of nowadays.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

This picture has absolutely wonderful acting (particularly from Ryan Gosling and Emily Mortimer) but I ultimately found it a bit too slight for its own good. I sympathized with Lars because of Gosling's performance, not because of the script, really. C+

Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:05 pm
Extraordinary

I actually saw this last night... I loved it. Great cast, it surprisingly worked for me.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:03 am
Speed Racer

I liked it a lot, mainly because of the great performances by Gosling, Mortimer and Schneider. But there was something about it that detached me from the story, maybe it was the cold screenplay or the minimalistic direction. Either way, I wasn't able to feel as connected to Lars as much as I would've wanted to. I think at times it didn't know if it wanted to be a light comedy or a very serious drama about a guy with heavy psychological issues. That was part of the charm in a way too, though.

7/10 (B)

Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:21 pm
You must have big rats

Libs wrote:
This picture has absolutely wonderful acting (particularly from Ryan Gosling and Emily Mortimer) but I ultimately found it a bit too slight for its own good. I sympathized with Lars because of Gosling's performance, not because of the script, really. C+

Wow, I'm surprised, I thought you'd love this.

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:33 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

8/10 -> B

Great performances from everyone, especially Gosling. It's a pity he didn't get an Oscar nom, because this was the best 2007 role after TWBB Day-Lewis one.

The whole movie isn't really funny at all, but it's quite charming and very emotional. The movie kept me on a distance throughout, I can't put my finger onto why that was, but I feel like that prevented it from being a truly great movie.

Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:46 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

I thought it's pretty funny. It's also sweet and heartwarming. On the paper, one would have been sure this is gonna turn out to be some melodrama, emotional over the top. But fortunately, it didn't. The performance is superb too. Loved it, loved it!

A (#9 best of 2007)

Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next