Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Assault on Precinct 13 (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Assault on Precinct 13 (2005) 
College Boy Z

Post Assault on Precinct 13 (2005)
Assault on Precinct 13

Quote:
Assault on Precinct 13 is a 2005 action thriller film directed by Jean-François Richet, starring Ethan Hawke and Laurence Fishburne. The cast also includes Gabriel Byrne, Maria Bello, Drea de Matteo, John Leguizamo, Ja Rule, Currie Graham, Aisha Hinds, Matt Craven and Fulvio Cecere. It is a loose remake of John Carpenter's 1976 film of the same name, with an updated plot.

Last edited by zingy on Tue May 10, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:25 am
Christian's #1 Fan

---

Being a cop is never easy, that much is certain. To serve and protect is the order, and usually involves protecting the cops on the outside from the criminals on the inside. But what happens when it means protecting the criminals on the inside from the cops on the outside?

Such is the plot for this action film from director Jean-François Richet(making his English language debut), a remake of John Carpenter's 1976 original.

The original film, staring Austin Stoker and Darwin Joston was a cult classic for its "B" grade appeal. Its plot was quite different, however, with the criminals, in this case a gang, waging war on the cops on the inside.

In Richet's version, the story is quite a bit different. It is New Year’s Eve and Precinct 13 is in its last day of operation, as the new Precinct 21 will soon be the new police station. Unfortunately for the three revelers on the inside, expecting a quiet evening, something entirely different is in store. A shipment of criminals, on their way to another penitentiary, has been diverted to Precinct 13 until morning, due to a severe snow storm. The bus includes the likes of Smily (JaRule), a counterfeiter and Bishop(Laurence Fishburne), a known cop killer among others. None of the criminals seem to concerned about the situation and are generally quiet after being placed into holding cells.

While known of the cops were happy with this situation, it quickly deteriorates when the two transporters are murdered, and snipers surround the building. As the evening continues, the building is placed under siege, with a multitude officers from the Detroit Police department demanding the release of Bishop. It seems that Bishop had quite a relationship with the Police department, and his blood trail includes at least 33 officers directly. From this point on, the cops on the inside must outsmart the cops on the outside to protect not only their own lives, but also the life of Bishop and the other criminals.

The cast this time around includes Ethan Hawke (Hamlet, Training Day), Laurence Fishburne (The Matrix trilogy), Ja Rule (The Cookout, Scary Movie 3) and Gabriel Byrne (P.S., Vanity Fair). While non of the cast are true standouts, with perhaps the exception of the quiet Fishburne, who brings a small amount of emotion to his role as a convicted cop killer, none of them are truly bad either. The remaining cast members are not given enough material to truly bring any sort of emotional quality to the characters, however they do all manage to at least provide some level on development.

One of the weaknesses in the film is the writing, which, while smart, prevents a true connection with any of the character. Writer James DeMonaco (The Negotiator) does, however, keep the pace moving quickly, and manages to keep the final twist in the film a mystery until the end of the film. The pacing is a bit slow during the first 1/3rd of the film, however once the situation is set, it quickly picks up.

While the film is certainly not to the level as such accomplished action films as Terminator or last year's The Bourne Supremacy, it succeeds by allowing the story to develop slowly, leading the way for a very satisfactory conclusion. While more of a "check your brain at the door" action film, similar to many action films, it doesn't sink as low as films such as xXx or any of the latest James Bond films.

Overall, the film is entertaining and definitely not your typical run-of-the-mill action film. A few plot holes and some occasional weak acting prevent the film from being truly "memorable" or "great". Excellent writing, great performances by both Hawke and Fishburne and a very satisfactory conclusion allow this film to rate as a 7.6/10 or B+.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:19 am
Affiliate

Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Assault on Precinct 13: Violent Comedy Thriller!
Never saw John Carpenter's 1970's version, but I quite enjoyed this B-movie style telling of the classic seige story. Ethan Hawke sure does work in quite the range of movies, and he's good as always here. Lots of cool supporting actors like Laurence Fishburne, Brian Dennehy, Gabriel Byrne, and best of all John Leguizamo who is just too funny in a fairly small role. If you're in the mood for a bit of a thrill ride, you could do a lot worse than spending a couple hours down at Precinct 13...

4 out of 5.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:19 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I loved the movie. Does the movie match up with Carpenter's version? Yes but more violent.Whats best about this movie is the violence and it doesnt take itself too seriously. It also leaves no death scene censored. Imagine playing some violent shoot em up movie come alive, the closest it would be without zombies would be Precinct 13. I also never laughed so hard at a death scene especially when John Leguizomo repeatedly stabbed a SWAT member multiple times. I enjoyed the movie quite alot and Im giving it a B/B+ grade

Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:57 am
College Boy Z

A good action film, but not great. Lots of good action scenes, but overall, not the "old-school 90's" action flick (Face/Off, Con Air, The Rock, etc.) I heard about. Ethan Hawke and Lawrence Fishburne were both decent. B-

Last edited by zingy on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:30 pm
New Server, Same X

Wow. Another huge shock for me. I expected a typical action film, and much like Collateral last year, I got a LOT more than I bargained for. But, much like Collateral, the ending seemed a tad off. That was my only major complaint, mainly due to some plot holes, too. Ethan Hawke is bloody brilliant, and I can't complain about seeing Drea de Matteo in the movie. Just when you think the typical action movie twists, they pull a fast one, including one killing I never saw coming.

Grade: A

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:13 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I saw this the other day, and I completely agree with you Mr. X

It was much more than I expected. And I loved how they killed off some of the characters that most people would've never thought to die.

LOVED IT

9.1/10

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:26 pm
New Server, Same X

It was much more than I expected. And I loved how they killed off some of the characters that most people would've never thought to die.

LOVED IT

9.1/10

Yarrr matey, SPOILERS AHEAD. All non-viewers beware!!! *Spoilers in White*

Weren't you completely shocked to see the Doc girl get killed? Once I saw she was alive, I said "Well, looks like she'll be in there at the end. I'm sure she'll give Ethan a big kiss at the end." I figured they might keep her as bait, but BAM! They just kill her off. That scene floored me. I mean, she was that meaningless "I'm in love with him, but can't show it" character, but that character ALWAYS ends up alive at the end. A total shock. And the twist on who the guy was that set them up was pretty good. I actually didn't suspect it at all. They did a real good job making it sound like the guy Ethan was trying to protect for a while.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:34 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

ChipMunky wrote:

LOVED IT

9.1/10

Yarrr matey, SPOILERS AHEAD. All non-viewers beware!!! *Spoilers in White*

Weren't you completely shocked to see the Doc girl get killed? Once I saw she was alive, I said "Well, looks like she'll be in there at the end. I'm sure she'll give Ethan a big kiss at the end." I figured they might keep her as bait, but BAM! They just kill her off. That scene floored me. I mean, she was that meaningless "I'm in love with him, but can't show it" character, but that character ALWAYS ends up alive at the end. A total shock. And the twist on who the guy was that set them up was pretty good. I actually didn't suspect it at all. They did a real good job making it sound like the guy Ethan was trying to protect for a while.

*Spoiler Reply*

I KNOW! When I saw the black girl get killed I figured the doc was still alive, and it was gonna be one of those movies, but then they up and kill her! OMG! Oh and I didn't really suspect the old guy until he "found" a way out. He was just acting suspicious. This movie took some notes from 24 :)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:39 pm
now we know

Good movie, started off very good, but depreciated towards the end, which was, actually prettty cool too. NOT AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL. They lost the music form the original?????? :???: whats that alll about?!!!!!!!!!! I wasnt happy when they did that! I thought Ethan hawke was suprisingly good, some good characters in it, the Dr is HOT!!! Lawrence Fishburne...where do i start? let me just say this....if i wanted Morpheus in the film i would have watched a Matrix movie.

I enjoyed it. Better than i expected, but worse than the infamous original. :wink:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:02 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Tue May 10, 2005 12:54 pm
Forum General

I think this could be one of 2005's best movies so far. I'm definetely blind buying it.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue May 10, 2005 1:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Well, I didn't blind buy this (thank god). I thought it started out good but after the whole "plot" rolled in, it got idiotic and stupid. A lot of the movie you couldn't even tell what the hell was happening. One of the biggest disappointments of 2005, by far.

3/10 (D-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun May 29, 2005 3:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I actually loved this one. It had lots of great action and suspense along with developed characters and a solid screenplay.

8/10 (B+)

Sun May 29, 2005 4:42 pm
Profile YIM
I just lost the game

Good movie. Not great. The action drew on for too long sometimes. Not that's its bad....the action was great and believable, something more and mroe directors lose touch with when directing action.

B-/B, recommended if you want an easy film, or a pretty solid action film.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:00 pm
Veteran

Hmm it was okay it had alot of action but alot ofit was pointless and it rreminds me way to much of Training day and I hated that movie. I normally like Hawke hes got alot of talent and I love fishburne. I think some of the cast was badly picked and almost pointless for the most part. The ending was odd and not so great. over all it was okay C-

Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:36 am
Profile YIM WWW
Teh Mexican

The first 45 minutes were very Boring for me i really was falling as sleep, but when they begin attacking the precinct or whatever it was great!
the twists and turns were OK!

B-

Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]