Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Kramer vs. Kramer 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 9 ]
B 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Kramer vs. Kramer 

Post Kramer vs. Kramer
Kramer vs. Kramer

Quote:
Kramer vs. Kramer is a 1979 film adapted by Robert Benton from the novel by Avery Corman, and directed by Benton. The film tells the story of a divorce and its impact on everyone involved, including the couple's young son. It received the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1979.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:23 am
Profile WWW
Another You

Post Re: Kramer vs. Kramer
This was good, thanks to Streep being the bitch that she was here.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:59 pm
He didn't look busy?!

a very touching parenting movie. At least, to someone like me who's never been a parent yet. Better than Apocalypse Now? Not so much.

A-

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

I liked it way more than kramer vs kramer. Great acting and much better pacing than Apocalypse Now. Deserved the Oscars. A

I used to be shawman.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:08 am
---------

Dustin was fantastic in this. Meryl played a very interesting wife and managed to avoid being an outright female dog, which any other actress in this role would have been. The "final" breakfast between Dustin and Billy was my favorite scene.

A-

Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:52 pm
Speed Racer

2001 wrote:

What makes her a bitch IYO?

Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:46 pm
Another You

Taphead wrote:
2001 wrote:

What makes her a bitch IYO?

She abandons her family for no reason, gets a new lover, then finally comes out of nowhere to want to become a mother again many months later.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:45 pm
Speed Racer

Did you have trouble figuring out that she left for no reason, or did you get that immediately in the first place?

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:47 pm
Another You

I sort of did, but I got into this conclusion during the courtroom scene. Having a workaholic husband isn't really a reason to leave for more than a year.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:12 am
Speed Racer

I didn't know that there's a rule for what's allowed to feel. But you're probably right. Stupid bitch, didn't adjust her feelings to the truth.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:44 pm
now we know

It's only when you watch classics that you realise why they're classics. This is such a wonderful and important film. It is a lecture in parenthood and respect and civility, and all under such pressure of wanting to burst in outrage at the unjust nature of it all. Terrific script, and so many touching moments. Of course, all delivered by absolute masters Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep. I've not seen them better, ever. But Justin Henry is the pinnacle of those eye-watering, emotional scenes. Fantastic performance, and such a shame he missed out on the Best Supporting Actor Oscar. The father-son time is not just beautiful but endearing and empowering for what is one of the rare positions that a dad is less likely to be favoured than the mum. I absolutely love the scene where Ted goes to tuck Billy in after they had a fight over the ice cream. The fact that it explores how the child feels in times of stress between parents is also admirable.

A

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Streep did not come across as a bitch to me. A lot of career types go through this sort of pre-longed post-natal depression, and it seemed to culminate in her needing a break. The character she played wasn't nasty or vindictive either, and you could see that both still had so much love for each other. It was amicable even when it got a little dirty in the courtroom. Neither wants to drag each other through the mud (that was more what the lawyers wanted), they just wanted what was best for their boy. Sure, walking out is not good. But it didn't seem to affect the relationship she had with Billy, so apart from short-term tears, what real harm was done? It also allowed for Ted and Billy to really bond, which is another thing that career-type fathers lose out on, so perhaps her walking out was actually a good thing. There are many ways to look at it, and that's why, for me, the film is so important.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

So, I cannot really stop thinking about this film. I really wonder [though am not requesting a prequel] about the back story of Ted and Joanna. For example, where are their parents? What can alleviate the stress of a marriage with children is when grandparents help out while mum and dad continue to bring home the bacon. That seemed to be the issue. I would hate to see a prequel or sequel to Kramer vs. Kramer, but I would love to see how these characters have ended up years later and/or what transpired years before.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:02 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

This is pretty great. For me the key to this movie is Meryl, and I say that as someone who mostly based on her post 2000 work had found her overrated. It's a fantastic performance for all the reasons her recent Oscar thirst roles are not, so much internal acting, subtle touches and feeling completely real. Her justification for why she left is believable, and it takes great care to show that Hoffman's character is not perfect either. Probably one of the best female performances I've seen. The courtroom scenes are perfectly balanced instead of either being the hero or the villain. Hoffman is also great showing the good and bad of his character, and Justin Henry could have won an Oscar for this. I also think the Jane Alexander was a nice touch because she also made several human mistakes like telling her to leave or letting him fall off the jungle gym, and this has to be one of the only movies I've ever seen with a platonic friendship between a male protagonist and attractive female. That had to be a romantic subplot in the original script before someone gave them sage advice

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:31 pm
Hold the door!

This movie is amazing, and heartbreaking and warming at the same time. Streep and Hoffman are fantastic, obviously Hoffman deserved the child and Streep could've communicated better, but they did a really good job at showing her brokenness and making you understand where she was coming from even if her actions weren't admirable.

Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]