Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Serpico 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Serpico 
Where will you be?

Post Serpico
Serpico

Quote:
Serpico is a 1973 American crime film directed by Sidney Lumet. It is based on the true story of New York City policeman Frank Serpico, who went undercover to expose the corruption of his fellow officers, after being pushed to the brink at first by their distrust and later by the threats and intimidation they leveled against him. It stars Al Pacino, John Randolph and Tony Roberts.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:33 pm
Where will you be?

Post Re: Serpico
One of Lumet's stronger films contains one my favorite performances by Al Pacino. His transformation from eccentric and dignified to a man trapped and desperate to illuminate the evils around him is superb. I can't believe that there wasn't already a thread on this one.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:45 pm
now we know

This is a terrific film. I often watch supposed classics that I've not seen before and they never hold up to the hype and praise. Films such as The French Connection and The Driver. But Serpico is the real deal, and I can't help feel that it isn't put on the same pedestal as most 70s classics of a similar build. It's a really interesting story about police corruption in several precincts in New York in the late 60s-early 70s. I wonder actually (if this is a true story) whether this was the planting of the seeds for the Internal Affairs Division. I also love how 70s it is. The buildings, the clothes, the neighbourhoods...."perps" are black, badges are on the take, and nobody likes the honest cop. It's great stuff. Pacino gives a fine, fine performance. Such effortless command of the screen as he converts his simmering anxiety into sporadic outbursts of frustration. And regarding Pacino's career; people always go on about The Godfather trilogy and Scarface as his best films. I think it's a little bit of sheep mentality most of the time, but some people must love those films. But I've never been on those baa-ndwagons. Despite only seeing this today, for me Serpico is among Pacino's best work. Heat, Carlito's Way, and now Serpico. A-

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:36 am
Profile WWW
now we know

The only area this is rather weak in is the score. I guess that because I come from a Nighthawks background (come on, the similarities are there!), I expected some cool and memorable 70s beats pulsating throughout. But it went more for the subdued Godfather-esque Italian orchestral route, which I generally do not warm to.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]