Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Blood Simple 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Blood Simple 

Post Blood Simple
Blood Simple

Quote:
Blood Simple is a 1984 neo-noir crime film. It was the directorial debut of Joel and Ethan Coen and the first major film of cinematographer Barry Sonnenfeld, who later became a noted director. The film's title derives from the Dashiell Hammett novel Red Harvest, in which "blood simple" is a term to describe the addled, fearful mindset of people after a prolonged immersion in violent situations.

In 2001, a "Director's cut" DVD was released. It ranked #98 on AFI's 100 Years... 100 Thrills. The film also placed #73 on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:05 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I'm a big fan of noir, but I couldn't really get into this. I think it's because of the characters, none of whom are likeable in the least. Their lack of communication really got on my nerves, and not in a good way. I suppose that's the point of the movie - that murder isn't as easy as it seems - but I couldn't bite into it. It's a shame, because it's terrifically directed with some great set pieces. The climax is appropriately thrilling, though I found the giant sniper rifle that the private eye had a bit unrealistic. Still a good film, but not the masterpiece I was expecting.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:21 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Blood Simple
5/5

I thought it was pretty much perfect. It's really really simple - as the title says, but is the execution ever brilliant. It's black as hell, humorous in the way it's characters are twisted, the screenplay is amazing, it's terrifically well-shot, the acting is top notch, the twists are generally shocking.

It's funny that even though the Coens never made a movie this simple again, this film and all those things represent and defines them completley. It's like somebody took everything that make them what they are and put it in movie form.

Some scenes like the burial sequence and that ending - WOW.

Loved it. Maybe one of the best directorial debuts I've ever seen. Hell, it probably remains one of their best films, though I still have a couple more to catch up on.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:03 am
Cream of the Crop

Remains the best of the Coen brothers' movies. *A+*

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:21 am
The Kramer

Meh, this is the first Coen’s that I really didn’t like. Even Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty had more to like. Blood Simple has their signature crime waves and misunderstandings, but they didn’t populate it with the interesting characters their later work is defined by and thus it just drags on and on and on. 95 minutes felt like 160.

C-

Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]