Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Transformers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 46 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 30 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 92

Transformers 
Extraordinary

Post Transformers
Transformers

Quote:
Transformers is a 2007 American science fiction action film based on the Transformers toy line. The film, which combines computer animation with live-action, is directed by Michael Bay and produced by Steven Spielberg. It stars Shia LaBeouf as Sam Witwicky, a teenager involved in a war between the heroic Autobots and the evil Decepticons, two factions of alien robots who can disguise themselves by transforming into everyday machinery. The Decepticons desire control of the AllSpark, the object that created their robotic race, with the intention of using it to build an army by giving life to the machines of Earth. Megan Fox, Josh Duhamel, Tyrese Gibson, Jon Voight, Anthony Anderson and John Turturro also star, while voice-actors Peter Cullen and Hugo Weaving voice Optimus Prime and Megatron respectively.

Producers Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto developed the project in 2003, with a treatment written by DeSanto. Executive producer Steven Spielberg came on board the following year, hiring Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. The United States Armed Forces and General Motors (GM) loaned vehicles and aircraft during filming, which saved money for the production and added realism to the battle scenes. Hasbro organized an enormous promotional campaign for the film, making deals with hundreds of companies. This advertising blitz included a viral marketing campaign, coordinated releases of prequel comic books, toys and books, as well as product placement deals with GM and eBay.

Transformers was a box office success despite mixed critical reaction to the radical redesigns of the characters, and reviews criticizing the focus on the humans at the expense of the robots. It is the thirty-seventh most successful film released and the fifth most successful of 2007, grossing approximately US$709 million worldwide. The film won four awards from the Visual Effects Society and was nominated for three Academy Awards for Best Sound, Best Visual Effects, and Best Sound Editing, which it lost to The Bourne Ultimatum and The Golden Compass, respectively.

A sequel, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, was released on June 24, 2009 to negative reviews but was a commercial success and grossed more than its predecessor. A third and final film, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, is set to release on June 29, 2011 in 3-D.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Last edited by xiayun on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

It's a pretty solid movie, but in all honesty I have no interest in seeing it again.

The best things were Shia's excellent performance, and some hilarious supporting roles, like the mother and Torturro's goverment agents. The film has a huge amount of goofy, offbeat humor. It's basicly just as much of a comedy as it is an action film. Effects were also very well done, as expected.

On the downside, the main storyline just isn't that interesting or involving. The film reveals it's mysteries way too early - It opens with Prime's backstory voiceover and shows the first robot battle in the first minutes. Too much to early, IMHO. It just takes off suspense from the story. And during the 3rd act it's clear what the good guys are trying to do, but it's not clear WHY they are trying to do it. They are trying to take the McGuffin from point A to point B, but why? It's not any safer in point B. And why exactly is Shia carrying the McGuffin, and not Prime? It would be much safer with Prime. It's just all really badly motivated, and as a result the story just goes meanders without proper emotional connection.

But I guess the biggest letdown is that the action scenes are essentialy quick cut collections of blurry close-ups. I'm not kidding when I say that 95% of action is like that. You get the general idea of what is supposed to be happening, but you don't actually SEE it. And that just kills all the fun. The action in this film NEVER made me go "wow". Because mostly all I could see was just motion blur. The action was also rather blandly written, there were no proper story beats in the scenes. It was just generic punch-shoot-punch-shoot stuff. I like to see a bit more imagination, coreograpy and smarts from my action

I guess it should also be mentioned that the suspense and tension were non-existant. I did like the characters, but the combination of constant goofy humor and lame action killed the suspense. Like I said this film is filled with humor, but while it's funny, it also kills the intergrity of the story and characters: Everything is played for laughs, all the time, until the film turns suprisingly serious in the 3rd act.

Meh. It's not a bad movie at all, but it's something that is instantly forgettable.

6.5/10.

Last edited by Tuukka on Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

It's a pretty solid movie, but in all honesty I have no interest in seeing it again.

The best things were Shia's excellent performance, and some hilarious supporting roles, like the mother and Torturro's goverment agents. The film has a huge amount of goofy, offbeat humor. It's basicly just as much of a comedy as it is an action film. Effects were also very well done, as expected.

On the downside, the main storyline just isn't that interesting or involving. The film reveals it's mysteries way too early - It opens with Prime's backstory voiceover and shows the first robot battle in the first minutes. Too much to early, IMHO. It just takes off suspense from the story. And during the 3rd act it's clear what the good guys are trying to do, but it's not clear WHY they are trying to do it. They are trying to take the McGuffin from point A to point B, but why? It's not any safer in point B. And why exactly is Shia carrying the McGuffin, and not Prime? It would be much safer with Prime. It's just all really badly motivated, and as a result the story just goes meanders without proper emotional connection.

But I guess the biggest letdown is that the action scenes are essentialy quick cut collections of blurry close-ups. I'm not kidding when I say that 95% of action is like that. You get the general idea of what is supposed to be happening, but you don't actually SEE it. And that just kills all the fun. The action in this film NEVER made me go "wow". Because mostly all I could see was just motion blur. The action was also rather blandly written, there were no proper story beats in the scenes. It was just generic punch-shoot-punch-shoot stuff. I like to see a bit more imagination, coreograpy and smarts from my action

I guess it should also be mentioned that the suspense and tension were non-existant. I did like the characters, but the combination of constant goofy humor and lame action.

Meh. It's not a bad movie at all, but it's something that is instantly forgettable.

6.5/10.

So I guess I'm gonna LOVE IT!!

:happy:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:00 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

It was fun. The ending was the weakest part of the movie.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:59 am
Teenage Dream

Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:46 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Agree with Tuuka - the action strangely was one of the most lacking aspects of the film - all because of the Bay quick cuts. Its disturbing and you can barely see which robots are battling in some instances. That prevents it from being "great" IMO. Thats why some of the Machine vs human scenes - ie. in the desert tend to work better than machine on machine. It also shows how Bay managed to keep the budget down compared to say Spidey or Pirates. The suspense is there early on - but it does lose steam when the big action scenes hit.

Funnily the action sequences reminded me of posters here on KJ because they were HUGE versions of the little avatars that have been on the site for the last two months :lol:

Well thats the bad news really.

The good news is that the film looks good. Transformers in motion (especially deseptacons) are stunning. Starscream a standout - but unfortunately doesnt get much screen time. That honour goes to Bumblebee and OP. OP is exactly how i'd imagined him to be and Bumblebee is really the heart of the film. All scenes involving him are gold IMO. Megatron is impressive - though would have liked to see more character development there.

The human story - in the desert or back in the US is actually entertaining. Shia is great in the role and Megan Fox is just stunning (especially when she opens up the hood of the Camaro ;) )

John Turturro is a surprising delight in this. Whacky in his Pacino impersonation.

A word of caution - lower you expectations just a tad. I dont like saying that - but the film will be more enjoyable that way. I feel a fair few of you will be dissapointed with the action. So keep expectations in check.

Grade : A (Overall its still satisfying). I will view it again and then re-assess the grade.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Last edited by MadGez on Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:58 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

No Sppoilers.

Agree with Tuuka - the action strangely was one of the most lacking aspects of the film - all because of the Bay quick cuts. Its disturbing and you can barely see which robots are battling in some instances. That prevents it from being "great" IMO. Thats why some of the Machine vs human scenes - ie. in the desert tend to work better than machine on machine. It also shows how Bay managed to keep the budget down compared to say Spidey or Pirates. The suspense is there early on - but it does lose steam when the big action scenes hit.

Funnily the action sequences reminded me of posters here on KJ because they were HUGE versions of the little avatars that have been on the site for the last two months :lol:

The good news is that the film looks good. Transformers in motion (especially deseptacons) are stunning. Starscream a standout - but unfortunately doesnt get much screen time. That honour goes to Bumblebee and OP. OP is exactly how i'd imagined him to be and Bumblebee is really the heart of the film. All scenes involving him are gold IMO. Megatron is impressive - though would have liked to see more character development there.

The human story - in the desert or back in the US is actually entertaining. Shia is great in the role and Megan Fox is just stunning (especially when she opens up the hood of the Camaro ;) )

John Turturro is a surprising delight in this. Whacky in his Pacino impersonation.

A word of caution - lower you expectations just a tad. I dont like saying that - but the film will be more enjoyable that way.

Grade : A (Overall its still satisfying). I will view it again and then re-assess the grade.

Informative review.

Glad to see you enjoyed it Gez :happy:

Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:02 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

MadGez wrote:
No Sppoilers.

A word of caution - lower you expectations just a tad. I dont like saying that - but the film will be more enjoyable that way.

Informative review.

Glad to see you enjoyed it Gez :happy:

:happy:

I think you'll enjoy it. Dont go in expecting a masterpiece - but the film works.

Interestingly - the robot in my gif avatar is Barricade also not Blackout as we thought.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:05 pm
ef star star kay

Let me split this movie into two halfs...

The first half, we got great action scenes ALONG with great story on human side. This should very well thanks to Shia's excellent performance. After 'Disturbia', I'm completely sure; he's real life actor. And also to all supporting members (the dad & mom were really hilarious). The film itself, in this first half was -like Tuukka has mentioned- a comedy as much as it was an action. Which is the great thing; it never took itself seriousely AT ALL. Overall; GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT entertainment the first half was.
Then comes the second half, when this movie more focused on section seventh.. whatever. And turned to be 'pure non-stop action flick'. It still worked just fine, though. Just not as fun as it was before (a proof that a good non-stop action flick doesn't exist without -at least- an interesting story).
But the visual effect was extremely impressive. Just big big wow!

***1/2 out of ***** (B+)

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:56 pm
College Boy Z

A

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:00 am
Indiana Jones IV

Short and sweet. TRANSFORMERS ROCKED!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:06 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Very loud and very dumb, but also entertaining and exciting. It's not like anyone expected this to be War & Peace, so its rather high amount of silliness isn't a problem. And considering I knew absolutely nothing about Transformers before I saw the movie, it did a good job involving someone like me. The effects are extremely impressive, first of all. This is clearly not an actors' piece, but Shia LaBeouf is so charming that he makes most of the "human" scenes work. Megan Fox was probably cast more for looks than anything else, but she does well enough. Josh "Gorgeous" Duhamel and Tyrese are sort of stuck in a similiar "outshined by robots," John Turturro is deliciously over-the-top, and Jon Voight completely embarasses himself with an awful performance. Michael Bay directs this picture like most of his previous ones, so many scenes are chaotically filmed with annoying camera devices (slow motion, tinting, rapid cuts, etc.) However, that's part of the movie's charm, and this might be Michael Bay's best movie since The Rock (make that his only good movie since The Rock). Anyway, I had lots of fun. B

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:23 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Everything I expected from a Micheal Bay movie. Great action and SFX. Shia and Meghan Fox do a fairly good job also. Could anyone tell that Hugo Weaving even did the voice acting for Megatron???

A-

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:24 am
Extraordinary

Entertaining. Not always on purpose, but still, it made me happy.

Last edited by snack on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:27 am
Romosexual!

Four :robot: :robot: :robot: :robot: out of four :robot: :robot: :robot: :robot: bots. :D
The action & sfx was out of this world and that's all this movie needed to deliever.
Thank you MBay & ILM for not fucking that up.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:35 am
I heet the canadian!

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be at ten pages BEFORE friday?

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:58 am
Sbil

Am I the only one who thought that the best part of this movie was not the action or F/X, but the comedy? Seriously...like, if it wasn't for the comedy, I think I wouldn't have actually liked the film.

The scene with his parents in his room when he's trying to recover the glasses is hilarious.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:02 am
Veteran

Did anyone else's crowd go nuts when Bernie Mac came on screen? Mine went nuts.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:11 am
Profile WWW
I heet the canadian!

Biggestgeekever wrote:
Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be at ten pages BEFORE friday?

Because it's already at 2 :tongue:
Hmm, it seems like ten may have been a gross underestimation? Will you loonies be able to push it to TWENTY before friday? :tongue:

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:16 am
Romosexual!

when his death mother flipped him off is when the crowd went nuts at my theater. :lol:

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:16 am
Romosexual!

Speevy wrote:

Bernie Mac >>> Larry The Cable Guy

fixed :tongue:

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:17 am
Romosexual!

BTW, Frenzy/Shockwave was fuckin' strange. I understand the attraction of having a human-sized decepticon but still, fuckin' strange.

lol, he mostly acted like a robot on crack trying to get another fix.

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:18 am
College Boy Z

And I second loyal's F/X comment. It's the most visually stunning film I've ever seen. Even the non-action scenes looked terrific.

Ohhhhh, and I'm in love with Megan Fox. :blush:

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:20 am
All Star Poster

This was an amazing summer movie. It was action packed and was hilarious. The only thing I can complain about is some of the cheesy lines (but at least none of their hoods was painted with the american flag or anything). This has the best graphics i've ever seen in a movie... ever. It seemed so flawless and real. I saw an 8 showing with die hard fans and it was hilarious. I swear 10 people orgasmed when they first saw optimus. The movie theatre was so packed that this was the first time i've ever seen people sit on the stairs.

Great Movie. A

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:37 am
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

I don't know why I ever expect anything (more) out of Michael Bay. The F/X are top notch, but by the end of the movie the battle scenes become tiresome. I don't understand why they didn't just stick the cube in Megatron in the first place. It had some funny bits, but nothing I would deem extremely quotable. The film is just a jumbled up mess, with performances (excpet Shia who surprised me, and Turturro) that are horrendous. Meghan Fox there are no words to describe her beauty (in a good way) and her performance (in a bad way). This is the definition of a car crash film.

-C

Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 308 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next