Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 28 Weeks Later 

What grade would you give this film?
A 53%  53%  [ 18 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 11 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 34

28 Weeks Later 
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I still love the Planet of the Apes ending more. It's just classic.

The ending of The Quiet Earth would be on my list, too. And Twelve Monkeys. Maybe The Thing as well.

All brilliant endings as well. That Quiet Earth one gave me a bloody headache though

Tue May 15, 2007 7:36 pm
Extraordinary

Whats your top genre endings just out of interest Bradley?

I'm not that hard to please, I just like to be a tiny bit surprised -- I swear, if you were in the theatre with me when I saw this movie, I coulda told you the ending half way thru...

(This movie is not going to stand up well under repeated viewings.)

Tue May 15, 2007 7:48 pm
problem?

(This movie is not going to stand up well under repeated viewings.)

I've seen it twice and it sure did hold up well. :happy:

My favorite "apocalypse" movie ending is Resident Evil. Say what you will about the movie, I can definitely understand people hating it, but that ending was something else.

Tue May 15, 2007 10:35 pm
Extraordinary

Jesus Christ, it's actually happening -- too much love for a movie is lowering my opinion of it.

The ending of this movie is predictable. It's a typical horror ending, no more shocking than Freddy Krueger appearing at the end of A Nightmare On Elm Street 4.

Korrgan wrote:
My favorite "apocalypse" movie ending is Resident Evil. Say what you will about the movie, I can definitely understand people hating it, but that ending was something else.

"Something else" is known as Day of the Dead in many circles.

Tue May 15, 2007 11:30 pm
problem?

Korrgan wrote:

"Something else" is known as Day of the Dead in many circles.

Yes, RE1 took what was best in Day, the beginning scene, and made it even better and into my favorite movie ending ever. :happy:

I do love Day though, really, the whole movie's good.

Tue May 15, 2007 11:46 pm
Where will you be?

How is the final shot so shocking? My god, this awful incredibly contaigous disease is spreading beyond a single countries borders?! How do you not see that coming?

Wed May 16, 2007 12:15 am
Extraordinary

It's not even an epic jump. "Oh... so it moved east..."

I propose a zombie movie set in Boston. Then, as the final shot, we show zombies running towards Yankee Stadium. Many here will call it one of the gutsiest, most apocalyptic endings of all time.

Wed May 16, 2007 12:19 am
problem?

I don't think the ending's that great. :huh: Who said it's shocking? Of course it's gonna spread across other countries, that's the next logical and only step the series could go. Now it's gonna be all Day of the Dead-ish in 28 Months Later.

Wed May 16, 2007 12:25 am
Devil's Advocate

I think 28 Years Later would be the most ambitious project of all

Wed May 16, 2007 12:34 am
problem?

Woah, woah, woah. It just dawned on me. Wouldn't all the infected have died in 28 Months Later? Especially 28 Years Later. They died from starvation after five weeks between 28 Days and 28 Weeks.

Is the plot really gonna be yet another accidental breakout somehow?

Wed May 16, 2007 12:41 am
College Boy Z

Well, the boy is a carrier. Technically, he could live for 28 years and not need food to survive. Just hook up with some chick and BAM.

Wed May 16, 2007 5:19 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

How is the final shot so shocking? My god, this awful incredibly contaigous disease is spreading beyond a single countries borders?! How do you not see that coming?

At what point did I ever say it was shocking? (I'd read a spoiler accidentally before seeing it so I sort of knew the ending going in) I adore the ending to Threads for example but I wouldn't call it shocking.

By your and Dark Shapes criteria I'd have loved the ending to Damnation Alley because beleive me I was shocked, to the point where I felt like burning my eyes out to forget it.

As to why the ending shot was so good I'd probably say this.

The washed out colour, frenetic aggressive camera work and the uncontrolled chaos it alluded to really showed how cinema can describe a state of primalism and darkness without using a single word.

If it was just the image of the Tower that made it so great then I'd be screaming The Omega Man was the best movie ever made because that film is packed with such images, but with 28WL the way in which it was filmed was the reason it was so damn good.

Wed May 16, 2007 6:02 am
Extraordinary

It was a sequel lead-in ending, that's all. Maybe one step above Michael Myers' eyes snapping open in Halloween: Resurrection.

Wed May 16, 2007 12:51 pm
Where will you be?

Washed out colors and frenetic camerawork have been done to death in countless awful horror movies lately. "alluded to really showed how cinema can describe a state of primalism and darkness without using a single word" - And since when is that some sort of accomplishment in the genre?

I guess it really comes down to whether or not one fell in love with the movie's breakneck cinematography. Personally I thought it was fine but hardly orgasmic, and not nearly revolutionary enough to make this one of the primary apocalyptic films ever.

Wed May 16, 2007 3:24 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

"alluded to really showed how cinema can describe a state of primalism and darkness without using a single word" - And since when is that some sort of accomplishment in the genre?

First time its ever worked right in my opinion. And since I never considered it a horror movie to begin with I guess we're at genre cross purpose's.

Whats your criteria for making a great apocalypse movie, out of curiosity? Give me some examples.

Wed May 16, 2007 3:29 pm
Extraordinary

Not be insanely predictable is a pretty good requirement, and 28 Weeks Later was.

Wed May 16, 2007 7:20 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

You guys are driving me loopy by not giving me an actual real example, c'mon this will be the only time I'll get to let my apocalypse movie love out to play. Give me something to play with :tongue:

Wed May 16, 2007 7:35 pm
Where will you be?

Honestly I find it a bit silly that I have to argue why 28 Weeks Later isn't a classic. It's like giving reasons why Gridiron Gang isn't the definitive sports film ever made.

The difference between this and the definitive apocalyptic films is that those films made you think. What of that is there here? Shooting civilians is bad but nessecary? Resident Evil: Apocalypse handled that issue with the same amount of subtlety and depth.

Wed May 16, 2007 9:07 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Sigh, you really haven't watched many apocalypse movies have you. For one Resident Evil isn't an apocalypse movie in any sense. for the record the following are what I consider apocalypse movies. (at least the ones I can remember watching)

Threads
Letters for a Dead Man
Testament
The Day After
Time of the Wolf
When the Wind Blows
Mad Max 1 and 2
The War Game
Whoops Apocalypse
The Omega Man
Soylent Green
The Romero movies might fall into the category, their more satire thou.
Planet of the Apes Series
The Quiet Earth
12 Monkeys
The Last Day
Logan's Run (in a stupid way)
Damnation Alley
A.P.E.X.
Fail-Safe

Don't throw out ambiguous remarks like "The difference between this and the definitive apocalyptic films is that those films made you think." Give me specific examples otherwise your just shadow boxing. By that criteria Mad Max 2 is shite!

I feel like Arsi with 300 here, like im talking to a brick wall. I should probably stop before I lose my head.

MovieDude wrote:
Honestly I find it a bit silly that I have to argue why 28 Weeks Later isn't a classic. It's like giving reasons why Gridiron Gang isn't the definitive sports film ever made.

Honestly thats pretty condescending.

Wed May 16, 2007 9:20 pm
Extraordinary

You guys are driving me loopy by not giving me an actual real example, c'mon this will be the only time I'll get to let my apocalypse movie love out to play. Give me something to play with :tongue:

I'm not that kinda nerd...

(PS: Don't go dissin' Logan's Run.)

Thu May 17, 2007 12:59 am
Where will you be?

No more condescending than to assume that I can't figure out what movies do and don't involve a subject matter as blunt as the end of the world. ;) Anyways I can see why you might like this movie more if you're a huge fan of the genre. Myself, I also keep movies like The Postman in mind when thinking about the sub-genre.

Anyways, why not tell me what one was supposed to have a conversation about after the movie? Saying that the movie had a lack of good concepts to mull over is hardly an insult that you can't counter. And in the case of The Road Warrior, while I haven't seen it in awhile, I'd argue it's structured much closer to pop action/thriller with a nihilistic setting, and is a damn effective one that kept me thrilled throughout. 28 Weeks Later on the other hand tried to both be some sort of thoughtful metaphor about the war on terror and an escape thriller, and ended up being only somewhat successful in both ways.

By the way, not to frustrate you any further, but Resident Evil 2 is just as much an "apocalypic" movie as 28 Weeks Later, considering both involve an outbreak in a single city/ that only spreads beyond at the end of the film. The title alone should tell you that. ;)

Thu May 17, 2007 3:48 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Your first answer just told me all I needed to know. Only reason I decided to pester you is a serious issue I had with a section of wording in your review. PM if you want me to explain, writing about it on the forum would be pointless

Last edited by Gulli on Thu May 17, 2007 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 17, 2007 5:00 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Gullimont wrote:

I'm not that kinda nerd...

(PS: Don't go dissin' Logan's Run.)

Dude it has a freaking box robot that goes around freezing people. That said it is entertaining.

I'd be curious for the fuller Bradley thought thou http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28412

Thu May 17, 2007 5:06 am
Extraordinary

Here we go again. People are giving this film just like it's predecessor some strong reviews and even though I was disappointed with the first one when it went into the 3rd act I decided to give this one a try as well even though someone I knew said it was crap. To be fair, I don't trust their film judgement all that much because I was interested in seeing it.

On to the film and why just 10 minutes after seeing it, I find that it was at various points ridiculous yet very effective with the tone, style, and presentation of the quarantined area and attempt to re-quarantine. The problem I have is that there are just too many plot holes going on and one can assume some "logical liberties" such as when the two kids were spotted leaving the zone yet not stopped immediately, however, the issues below come to mind the most.

1. The two kids are so familiar with the new surroundings that in one day of being there they are able to leave this supposedly "secure" area that one would assume has guards/cameras/snipers at every conceivable exit point.

2. That the two kids were not captured/stopped immediately upon leaving the quarantined zone.

3. That the father somehow has keycard access to the medical facility. He may be a person with responsibilities but I can't believe he'd have security clearance anywhere near high enough to unlock those doors.

4. As a zombie he was able exit the room housing his wife. I'm not sure if that had a keycard but the way into the area certainly did. How did he get out? I can't believe this zombie used a keycard to open a door.

5. When did these zombies suddenly have super human zombie strength to be able to break down any door?

6. The civilians were placed in a "safe" area by military personnel yet this "safe" area has a backdoor. In addition to the doors not even being X inches thick and made of solid steel. That's my idea of a room that has secure doors especially in this hybrid military facility.

7. This zombie was able to avoid being caught in the firebombing and the poisonous gas cloud. Is this the most lucky zombie in the history of zombies and how is it that it seems like this zombie actually thinks/remembers things.

8. At the end the chopper is flying somewhere with the two kids. We don't know where they go or what happens except for the last few shots of zombies running in Paris. How could this be? The Chunnel would have been closed under secure lock down during that whole period so I can't understand how the virus could have gotten to continental europe. Also, if we assume that the kids somehow got it there that brings up the question of how the chopper could have gotten out of british airspace to begin with w/o being shot down.

Now, even with these issues that occured as the film rolled along I do admit that it was interesting and did have good moments and did a great job in creating a sense of doom and hopelessness with the band of characters. I just don't understand how they can take good ideas for both 28 days and 28 weeks and have to bring down the films with unrealistic plot issues. So, we have 28 days and 28 weeks I guess 28 months is next. Hopefully, the world actually wins next time.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun May 20, 2007 1:22 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I demand a RISK game at once Night!!! :mad:

Sun May 20, 2007 1:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next