Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 28 Weeks Later 

What grade would you give this film?
A 53%  53%  [ 18 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 11 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 34

28 Weeks Later 
College Boy Z

He does possess the potential cure, but if no one who's still alive knows about it (including the boy and sister themselves), then they're just going to spread the virus (through Paris!).

Sun May 13, 2007 2:32 pm
Extraordinary

Very strange pacing. Likable characters, but the final group of survivors -- and the order in which the others go -- isn't very shocking. Tense in some place, annoying shaky-cam in others. I wasn't as enamored with the ending as some people. It was just, "Well, yeah. Isn't that the next logical step?"

Sun May 13, 2007 4:21 pm
Where will you be?

Boy bradley and myself are agreeing more and more lately. It's been a funny past few weeks, where I enjoy Next more than Hot Fuzz, Spider-Man 3, and 28 Weeks Later. Hopefully they'll finally release a new movie that's good for reasons beyond low expectations.

What was so great about this helicopter scene? Besides being done better by Planet Terror a month ago (a film tongue-in-cheek enough where such goofiness worked), it was just a lot of splatter, followed by a scene where two children and a gimp outrun and lose a horde of zombies on a straight path. Or how about the ending? It might have seemed ominous, except for most of 28 Days Later we've already assumed the infection spread beyond Britain. The infected are going to Paris?! Great, maybe now they can clean up the mess that new Rush Hour movie is going to make.

Sun May 13, 2007 4:25 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Boy bradley and myself are agreeing more and more lately. It's been a funny past few weeks, where I enjoy Next more than Shaun of the Dead, Spider-Man 3, and 28 Weeks Later. Hopefully they'll finally release a new movie that's good for reasons beyond low expectations.

What was so great about this helicopter scene? Besides being done better by Planet Terror a month ago (a film tongue-in-cheek enough where such goofiness worked), it was just a lot of splatter, followed by a scene where two children and a gimp outrun and lose a horde of zombies on a straight path. Or how about the ending? It might have seemed ominous, except for most of 28 Days Later we've already assumed the infection spread beyond Britain. The infected are going to Paris?! Great, maybe now they can clean up the mess that new Rush Hour movie is going to make.

Umm I never assumed that when watching the original at any point. The end was the best I've ever seen outside of Vanishing Point or Planet of the Apes.

This film also reminded me I must watch Time of the Wolf again sometime, it would make for a great low-fi companion piece.

Sun May 13, 2007 4:40 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Seeing this on Tuesday. Gulli, your glowing response has got my hopes set real high for this film.

Sun May 13, 2007 5:18 pm
Extraordinary

Boy bradley and myself are agreeing more and more lately.

That Vulcan mind meld did wonders!

:drink:

Sun May 13, 2007 7:09 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Seeing this on Tuesday. Gulli, your glowing response has got my hopes set real high for this film.

Think of this as the loutish drug infused brother of CoM. It may not be as smart but it gets its entertainment across with hammer like brutality, and sometimes I love that.

Sun May 13, 2007 9:07 pm
Extraordinary

Snrub wrote:

Think of this as the loutish drug infused brother of CoM. It may not be as smart but it gets its entertainment across with hammer like brutality, and sometimes I love that.

C'mon them! Don't back off the rage that infected your original review... :yar:

Mon May 14, 2007 12:41 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

them wrote:
Snrub wrote:

C'mon them! Don't back off the rage that infected your original review... :yar:

Oh no backing off Bradley I think its an apt description and thats why I love it.

Mon May 14, 2007 1:07 am
Where will you be?

This is the most puzzling film that this forum has fallen in love with in some time. And this is someone whose defended the film numerous times this weekend to friends who all out hated it.

Mon May 14, 2007 1:46 am
problem?

Pfft, you act like it's a bad movie or something. :mad:

I saw it again today with some friends, and they loved it. Everyone seemed to agree that the best scene was the very beginning with Don at the cottage. I seriously think that might be my favorite "zombie" attack ever.

But I do agree with you MD that the helicopter scene, while excellently gorey, is kinda, well.. lame. But I thought it was cheesy-lame in Grindhouse anyway. About the only good helicopter blade kill that I've ever liked was in the original Dawn of the Dead, and that was only one zombie and pretty realistic.

I do wish it had ended with more oomph, though. Give us something. Show us a French prissy dude in one of those lame hats getting pwned, don't just end.

Still, A+ again. I loved it all the same and it held up very well.

Mon May 14, 2007 1:59 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

If the top of my head this is how I'd rank my top 15 Apocalypse/zombie/end of days movies. (I'd include TV efforts as well)

1. Children of Men
2. Dr.Strangelove
3. 28 Weeks Later
4. Testament
5. Mad Max 2
6. Threads
6. When the Wind Blows
8. 12 Monkeys
9. Letters For a Dead Man
10. The Quiet Earth
11. Time of the Wolf
12. The War Game
13. 28 Days Later
14. The Omega Man
15 Soylent Green

The Worst ones would be (plenty more I'm sure if I tried to remember all the names)

Damnation Alley
Omega Doom
Land of the Dead

There is quite a few other movies like WoTW and Independence Day that I'd consider to popcorn to be put into the genre.

Last edited by Gulli on Mon May 14, 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 14, 2007 3:16 am
Extraordinary

Jesus, did I see a different 28 Weeks Later? One that didn't hide its action in shaky-cam, or hinge on incredibly stupid children breaking protocol to get a goddamn picture? One that didn't end with an action scene where I can't see what's going on? (Wait, that character is DEAD? Really?)

Mon May 14, 2007 4:42 am
Where will you be?

Jesus, did I see a different 28 Weeks Later? One that didn't hide its action in shaky-cam, or hinge on incredibly stupid children breaking protocol to get a goddamn picture? One that didn't end with an action scene where I can't see what's going on? (Wait, that character is DEAD? Really?)

Oh no, we saw the same film alright. As did everyone else. I guess it's just horror fans who aren't that impressed by a film being grim, bleak, and having generous amounts of gore. Because once you get past that (and an admittedly good opening scene) 28 Weeks Later was a dud.

Mon May 14, 2007 5:22 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I don't see what the Kids did being stupid, mainly because thats what I'd do. No that doesn't make me stupid.

Mon May 14, 2007 6:50 am
loyalfromlondon

I don't know which reviewer said that 28 Days Later is to Alien what this film is to Aliens, but they are absolutely right. Not only is the comparison apt genre-wise (first one is more horror, second one is more action) and plot-wise (first one is more intimate, second one is more broad) but also in the quality. In both cases, the first one is better, but the second one is a terrific sequel. And, even though I liked Alien more than 28 Days Later, I much preferred this sequel to Aliens. It's not without its faults, but it's a helluva film and one of my favourite sequels ever made.

My favourite part of the original is the scene at the end with the soldiers in the mansion, and how Jim is able to overpower them. It's very violent and gory, but also very powerful in the message that it's making. It's what elevates that film above most other films of the genre. This film is just as telling in its message. While it doesn't have one specific scene that reveals its intentions, the actions of the characters and some very memorable images (along with that brilliant score!) combine to make the sequel just as political and critical as the first one.

I was sorta bothered by the quick editing and shaky camera during the intimate action scenes, as other moments in the film showed that the director did know how to stage a shot and make it look good. My only guess could be that he wanted us to experience the chaos and horror of the attack scenes. It did irk me a bit at first, but I soon got used to it and I was able to enjoy the pure visceral excitement of the action. That said, the cinematography of the film is quite amazing for much of it. The wide shots of the firebombing and its aftermath, the extreme high- and low-angles used at varying points, the moving camera which works for the chase scenes - it all combines together to make an expertly shot horror film.

The acting was surprisingly pretty good, given that I was most worried going into the film about the kids and their involvement. Fortunately for me, even though the kids are really the leads of the film, they are neither annoying or obnoxious, and are able to carry the story. They manage to portray interesting characters without seeming older than they are - a rare feat for child actors. They're surrounded by an able cast of recognizable adult faces (if not names) that appeal to the audience before being mercilessly killed off - but it's not their film, so it works. Indeed, this may be the first horror film with children as the leads that I really liked.

It's not as good as the first, but it's damn close. It manages to look more polished while still harking back to the gritty feel that made the original so memorable. The ending is quite good and definitely leaves me wanting more, so it's one of the better sequel set-ups in recent memory. The return of the great score from the first is another highlight - makes the action scenes that much more thrilling. Just another chapter in the great books of British horror and apocalyptic drama, and one of the best films so far this year.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon May 14, 2007 6:51 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Glad you liked it Trixster. If your interested you should look for the directors previous effort "Intacto", a very fast paced Spanish film revolving around the sale of Luck as a commodity.

Mon May 14, 2007 7:03 pm
loyalfromlondon

Same.

Algren wrote:

Mon May 14, 2007 7:41 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

That said, the cinematography of the film is quite amazing for much of it. The wide shots of the firebombing and its aftermath, the extreme high- and low-angles used at varying points, the moving camera which works for the chase scenes - it all combines together to make an expertly shot horror film.

Thats definetly one of the main reasons why this film is so damn good at what it does.

Mon May 14, 2007 7:55 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

I imagine 28 Days Later is the kind of film Children of Men would've been with Paul Greengrass at the helm.

Shaky-cam is the bane of modern cinema. I fucking loathe it.

Tue May 15, 2007 6:30 pm
Teenage Dream

So for once I agree with the majority of KJ when it comes to a post-apocalyptic nightmare movie.

28 Weeks Later is better than the original, and an out-and-out masterpiece of the genre. When you couple the film's overload of downright nightmarish images and sequences with its blistering, fat seared-off pace you end up with an experience that is equally terrifying as it is enthralling. Juan Carlos Fresnadillo proves himself to not only be an apt genre filmmaker, but an auteur in his own right who uses the shaky-cam aesthetic to Greengrass-like abstract expressionistic effect. It shares all the important traits of the original (rich character development, ideas and concepts outside genre walls), while adding a truly bitter and explosive nihilistic streak that makes the viewer feel truly unsafe. This movie takes its time to build up character we enjoy, only to absolutely pulverize them (and us) moments later without a second thought. This mean streak runs all the way to the final credits, where we are treated to an exceptionally refreshing downbeat ending that is both hilarious and devastating in its implications. This is apocalyptic film making done right, and other filmmakers attempting to tackle the genre with their cop-out endings and ray of sunshine bullshit best take notice.

Tue May 15, 2007 6:55 pm
Teenage Dream

Umm I never assumed that when watching the original at any point. The end was the best I've ever seen outside of Vanishing Point or Planet of the Apes.

The final frame in this movie is beyond reproach. It elevates the film from great brutal horror flick to misanthropic masterpiece.

Tue May 15, 2007 7:02 pm
Extraordinary

Gullimont wrote:

The final frame in this movie is beyond reproach. It elevates the film from great brutal horror flick to misanthropic masterpiece.

C'mon! You could see it coming a mile away, what with all the talk of crossing the channel. And could they have picked a more cliche landmark? Too easy, too obvious...

:sleeping:

Tue May 15, 2007 7:14 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

makeshift wrote:
Gullimont wrote:

C'mon! You could see it coming a mile away, what with all the talk of crossing the channel. And could they have picked a more cliche landmark? Too easy, too obvious...

:sleeping:

The ending was apocalypse movie perfection. I can't honestly think of better. It could have copped out and gone for some saccharine crap but it delivered big time.

For reference this is my top 5 endings in the genre

Eiffel Tower - 28 Weeks Later
Statue of Liberty - Planet of the Apes
Mutant Baby - Threads
Mass Graves - Testament
Its People!! - Soylent Green

And the worst
That fucking Waltons Ending - Damnation Alley

Whats your top genre endings just out of interest Bradley?

Tue May 15, 2007 7:31 pm
loyalfromlondon

I still love the Planet of the Apes ending more. It's just classic.

The ending of The Quiet Earth would be on my list, too. And Twelve Monkeys. Maybe The Thing as well.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Tue May 15, 2007 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next