Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 28 Weeks Later 

What grade would you give this film?
A 53%  53%  [ 18 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 11 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 34

28 Weeks Later 
Commander and Chef

Post 28 Weeks Later
28 Weeks Later

Quote:
28 Weeks Later is a Spanish - British post-apocalyptic horror science fiction film, and sequel to the 2002 film 28 Days Later. The film was directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, and was released in the United Kingdom and in the United States on 11 May 2007. It was mostly filmed in London, England with some scenes also being filmed in the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales.

Fri May 11, 2007 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

First off I'm so glad that Arsi found somebody else to do a proper frontpage review for this film because I can honestly say that it would have been completely impossible for me to write an objective review about this film. What I'm about to write may sound slightly nuts but damnit I'm going to write it anyway.

First off ask yourself why do you watch movies, and more importantly why do you enjoy them? Is it because they make you laugh or cry? Is it because film can take you to another world beyond your own? Is it because film can make you exorcise personal demons, face inner fears and allow you to for the briefest of moments feel more alive then anything else possibly could!

Maybe its because of who I am that nihilism and imagery like that strung across the screen in 28 Weeks Later makes me feel more alive and happy inside then anything else I ever care to imagine.

The wondrous adrenaline of the chase, the brilliant usage of the theme music from the first movie, the lingering shots of a desolate London skyline, the single image of a chopper sitting on the grass of Wembley Stadium, the firebombs lighting up the sky as London is decimated in Code Red, all this and more combine to make 28 Weeks Later not just the best movie of 2007 by a country mile but also one of the best movies I have ever seen.

Mad Max, Letters from a Dead Man, Testament, Threads, Dawn of the Dead. All of these are great end of days films but 28 Weeks Later somehow feels even better. I don't care that the characters are never really developed that well, I don't care that the US army grunts are thin caricatures, I don't care that this movie is all about imagery and to hell with solid story. What 28 Weeks Later is for me at least is the reason I love cinema. Hell It somehow has two Kids as central characters and they are never annoying in any way. Somehow a film that was meant to be nothing more then a solid studio bound sequel is instead one of the best cinema experiences I have ever had in my life.

For one they should have just used the climax of the opening chase scene as the trailer, no intro no story just throw that on screen and I guarantee this movie would have opened to 40M easy. And that ending! Oh that ending is the most heart pumping thing I have ever seen. I know full well that the sequel set-up is blatant but what a stunning final image to leave on the screen.

This review isn't going to tell you much I know, and I'm aware that I sound like a drooling madman but damn I don't care. If you don't love this film your not wrong or in error in any way, you'll just be a person who looks for something else in cinema, but for me what I look for in cinema was captured right here in 28 Weeks Later.

A+

Last edited by Gulli on Fri May 11, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 11, 2007 7:23 pm
loyalfromlondon

Glad to see you loved it Gulli; your opinion would be the one I trust the most in regards to this film. Would you say it's better than the first?

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri May 11, 2007 7:26 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Glad to see you loved it Gulli; your opinion would be the one I trust the most in regards to this film. Would you say it's better than the first?

Thanks for the kudos man :smile:

Is it better? well yes for me it is but the question is which part of 28 days later did you enjoy the most? If you enjoyed the part with the soldiers holed up in the mansion then you won't enjoy this film as much. If you enjoy the imagery and the chase scenes in the first film, more then this film is complete eye candy because its the first half of 28 days later strung out for the entire film.

Fri May 11, 2007 7:28 pm
loyalfromlondon

I definitely liked the last half of the film more, it's what pushed it from 'just another' post-apocalyptic film into something more, but I for sure loved the whole movie. I was most afraid that this film would lose the social satire/political commentary of the first, though, and just turn into a zombie chase flick, but the reviews thus far have allayed my concerns.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri May 11, 2007 7:33 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

There is depth to be had, I mean my "to hell with solid story" remark isn't fully covering the film. It is definetly a few parallels to the US army and how it operates in Iraq and its not all chase scenes, theres a few interludes, indeed after the opening sequence its relatively calm for around 25 minutes. The manner in which the rage virus is unleashed once more is quite smart I think (with perhaps the odd complaint to be had in regards to security, you'll understand when you see it.)

Fri May 11, 2007 7:39 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I doubt anybody will love this movie quite as much as I did. So I shall make a sane statement that I'll expect a lot of decent but not gushing reviews in regards to it.

Fri May 11, 2007 8:54 pm
Team Kris

Now that is what I call entertainment. After the awful SM3 last weekend, 28 weeks later delivered on all counts. Not only was it a great zombie movie, but the story was so well done it was a amazing movie. It grabs you from the opening sequence which will wake anyone up and will get them ready for what follows. I must say the helicopter massacre has to be one of the best scenes of all-time. Summer has now officially arrived.

A

Fri May 11, 2007 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Now that is what I call entertainment. After the awful SM3 last weekend, 28 weeks later delivered on all counts. Not only was it a great zombie movie, but the story was so well done it was a amazing movie. It grabs you from the opening sequence which will wake anyone up and will get them ready for what follows. I must say the helicopter massacre has to be one of the best scenes of all-time. Summer has now officially arrived.

A

That was bloody nuts that bit :biggrin: It was great to see the actor from Lost (Michael) he played his part perfectly

Glad to see you enjoyed it.

Fri May 11, 2007 9:00 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

There was a scene in this film that referenced Schindlers List and it gave me chills.

If you watch this an enjoy it get the directors previous effort "Intacto". Its a great Spanish film.

Fri May 11, 2007 9:38 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I've had a serious look at my favourite movies of all time in the past hour and even thou I'm still pumped from seeing this I reckon it'll sneak into my all time top 20. I've never been so surprised when it comes to a films quality before, fuck even CoM's quality wasn't this much of a shock.

I must do a definitive apocalypse movies list sometime because this would be well up there.

Fri May 11, 2007 10:20 pm
Pure Phase

It's hard to say if it's superior to its predecessor, 28 Days Later, or not. They're so different. This is almost more of a companion film than a sequel. It's the same situation, but the first explored it on an extremely intimate level, whereas the sequel explores the political and social implications of the Rage Virus spreading and how it leads to, more or less, a worldwide battle to survive.

The action and gore are phenomenal (watch for the helicopter-vs.-zombies part), of course, but it's also effective on a deeper level. The characters are sympathetic and realistic and the plot has plenty of interesting twists and turns, including a creepy ending which suggests this should/could become a trilogy.

See it! A.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri May 11, 2007 11:02 pm
problem?

I seriously can't believe how amazing this movie is. I want to see it again RIGHT NOW. It was just fucking awesome. Best movie of the year so far. No other movie released this year comes anywhere close to being as good and I doubt one is better for quite some time. The opening scene with Don being chased by the infected down the hill to the boat is my favorite scene, but I really loved the entire movie.

I'm really amazed at how good this movie was, God. I was never the biggest fan of 28 Days Later, it was really only good until the end, where it got awful. And I hate Cillian Murphy so I'm so glad he wasn't in this movie.

Definite, definite A+. I loved it.

Last edited by Korrgan on Sat May 12, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 11, 2007 11:04 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I'm delighted im not the only person who loves this. :biggrin:

Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 pm
Motherfuckin' sexual

I loved every minute of it. The opening scene was chilling, and was done so well. The acting by the two kids (especially the girl) was some of the best I have ever seen in relation to actors under 18.

I recommend this movie to everyone.

Definite A.

PS, what was the scene that referenced Schindler's List?

Fri May 11, 2007 11:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

FANTASTIC MOVIE!!!!

I loved every minute of it. The opening scene was chilling, and was done so well. The acting by the two kids (especially the girl) was some of the best I have ever seen in relation to actors under 18.

I recommend this movie to everyone.

Definite A.

PS, what was the scene that referenced Schindler's List?

Where they locked in the people to a certain area and the lights started to go out.

Fri May 11, 2007 11:24 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

HA, I watched it this morning and didnt have time to create this thread.

I did tell my co-worker that this was the Schindler's List of zombie films (no lie).

I also said it was a bit too nihilistic (exact wording) for me. I like my end of the world zombie epics to at least have a few light moments.

Still, fucking inpressive sequel. Rare feat.

Get out of my head!!! :biggrin:

Glad you enjoyed it Loyal. I realize I'm becoming Snrub+CoM like in my love of this movie but I don't care its freaken brilliant.

Fri May 11, 2007 11:39 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

them wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
HA, I watched it this morning and didnt have time to create this thread.

I did tell my co-worker that this was the Schindler's List of zombie films (no lie).

I also said it was a bit too nihilistic (exact wording) for me. I like my end of the world zombie epics to at least have a few light moments.

Still, fucking impressive sequel. Rare feat.

Get out of my head!!! :biggrin:

Glad you enjoyed it Loyal. I realize I'm becoming Snrub+CoM like in my love of this movie but I don't care its freaken brilliant.

:lol:

Think about the number of non franchise sequels that work? It's a very short list. I would put 28 Weeks Later near the top.

I can't really fault the film for being bleak.

That last scene thou man, wow is all I can say! I mean I'm not a massive fan of bleak at the end (i like my dystopian hell to have a silver lining) but this was to good for me to care.

Did anybody get as much chills as I did from the Wembley Scene? Maybe you need to be a football fan for that.

Sat May 12, 2007 12:03 am
Another You

It's highLy entertaining from the first to the Last minute. The heLicopter sequence and that scene with Don in the medicaL faciLity were some of the bLoodiest scenes I've seen since 300. The acting of Tammy was impressive and by far the best of aLL the characters in the fiLm. And BTW, the extermination thingy and the stampede had a War of the WorLds feeLing to me. The ending and the immunity stuff obviousLy gives way for a second sequeL. I wouLd Love to see a 28 Months Later.

A

Sat May 12, 2007 8:33 am
Where will you be?

It's absolutely a step down from the first film, but is pretty well done if you can avoid getting swept up in the hype. It really is a lot like Children of Men wihout some of the craft. Personally I thought the kids leaving the safe zone and the one zombie who kept showing up over and over were both pretty silly plot elements. And while SPOILERS the movie was pretty merciless in it's order of who was or wasn't killed, it wasn't that shocking as the movie gave a bare minimum of character development to them.

I guess I'm not surprised how much some people here are enamoured on this movie - it's stylish and in-your-face enough to seem masterful. But for some reason, the movie was just a bit of a bore. C+

Sat May 12, 2007 6:32 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

It's absolutely a step down from the first film, but is pretty well done if you can avoid getting swept up in the hype. It really is a lot like Children of Men wihout some of the craft. Personally I thought the kids leaving the safe zone and the one zombie who kept showing up over and over were both pretty silly plot elements. And while SPOILERS the movie was pretty merciless in it's order of who was or wasn't killed, it wasn't that shocking as the movie gave a bare minimum of character development to them.

I guess I'm not surprised how much some people here are enamoured on this movie - it's stylish and in-your-face enough to seem masterful. But for some reason, the movie was just a bit of a bore. C+

Oh but it is masterful! I'm a Apocalypse cinema nut and this film was the very zenith of the genre. Apocalypse cinema at its best is symbolism and iconic imagery, with healthy doses of nihilism thrown in for good measure. There are other elements that can be brought to bare and its possible to use other methods to construct a great Apocalypse movie, (Letters For a Dead Man is an example of a differing method that worked well) but this film chose its manner and pulled it thru brilliantly. If I was stuck on a desert island and only allowed 2 films to watch it would be this and Vanishing Point, thats how much I loved it.

Sat May 12, 2007 6:55 pm
Extraordinary

Being a TEOTWAWKI fan to begin with, and having enjoyed the first movie in this series, I found myself greatly saddened as the results of this sequel's story spooled out before me. The setting was awesome, the tone was suitably dark, the actors were real pros -- but damn it, if they didn't use the cheapest soap opera plot to drive this beautiful vehicle. The story is out and out bad. A shame really, considering the gloriously apocalyptic vibe that is created in the first half hour of the film. But as each of this movie's 100 minutes rolls by, it becomes more apparent that the director is going for cheap thrills while overusing cheap effects. Sure there's glistenings of humor and a soupçon of real horror, but this is a clearly wasted opportunity afterall. There's no comparing this unsophisticated zombie movie to the properly archetypical and simply better recent zombie movies such as Land of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, & Dawn of the Dead (Remake). Worse, as a Sci-Fi movie, it's simplistic thrill structure pales compared to the sophisticated Sci-Fi of a movie like Children of Men (or since there's so much philosophy in a classic filmlike that, that perhaps it would be better referred to as Sci-Phi!)

Nope -- 28WL is a tragic misfire (doubly sad for me because I love the acting of Robert Carlyle - I truly imagined the writer's could have done far, far more with his talents). I'd say it's about half as good as it's predeccesor 28DL -- but nonetheless, I continue to hold out hope for this series and welcome the coming titles:

28 Months Later
28 Years Later
28 Decades Later
28 Centuries Later
28 Millennia Later
28 Eons Later

But they gotta get rid of this director -- yeah that's right Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, this is your last ride on the 28 Days Express, you're gettin' off now. They can either bring back Danny Boyle, or hire somebody who can stretch this material into a sail suitable to navigate this promising series into the future...

2 out of 5.

{Copy of my original review for 28 Days Later for reference:}

bradley witherberry wrote:
28 Days Later: "The End is Extremely %*&@# Nigh"

Very stylish and creepy example of the under-utilized TEOTWAWKI genre (The End Of The World As We Know It). This one substituted jump scares for a logical storyline, but being a bit of a TEOTWAWKI purist, I could have almost done without the zombies all together - but that would have slowed the plot down to a crawl for most viewers. The actors were unknown (to me) and the film had the classic pure Brit film vibe to it (full accents & mmm... Maltesers!). I felt the product placements added to the realism of this movie. The writing was really sharp and I liked the turn the story took towards the end with the zombie/human protagonist dynamic. In a way I'm surprised it did as well as it is (my theatre was 95% sold out the night I saw it), because it isn't the typical flashy movie of the summer season - indeed some people seemed quite disoriented after it was over (perhaps they were the same ones cheering the Freddy vs. Jason trailer?).

4 out of 5.

Sun May 13, 2007 1:20 am
College Boy Z

I don't remember the first one at all (need to re-watch it again to compare properly), but this is one hell of a horror flick. It's stylish, scary, and sick, all bundled together in a somewhat short 90-minute package. The helicopter scene is fantastic.

A-

Sun May 13, 2007 2:48 am
Romosexual!

The subway scene :wacko:

Sun May 13, 2007 3:05 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Great horror flick after a dismissal year for horror. I think there are some elements on the movie that were stronger than the previous installment. For one thing it was much gorier and more intense than 28 Days Later. I agree totally about the helicopter blading the zombies scene, it was something you couldnt take your eyes off of. I was somewhat confused by the ending though since I thought the boy was the answer to whole vaccaine situation but it just shows an empty copter at the end

A-

Sun May 13, 2007 2:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next