Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Judge Dredd 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Judge Dredd 

Post Judge Dredd
Judge Dredd

Quote:
Judge Dredd is a 1995 American science fiction action film directed by Danny Cannon, and starring Sylvester Stallone, Diane Lane, Rob Schneider, Armand Assante, and Max von Sydow. The film is based on the strip of the same name in the British comic 2000 AD. Certain elements of the film were altered from the comic series, but it still did not find wide mainstream appeal and as a result was a critical and commercial disappointment.

Tue May 08, 2007 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Not a terrible film, but Stallone has done much better, and with the material, the film should have been much better. Completely average, and Stallone with Blue Eyes is a weird image.

C-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue May 08, 2007 1:16 pm
George A. Romero

A decent action movie, but quickly forgettable.

C+

Tue May 08, 2007 8:58 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

I have to admit I always enjoyed this movie. Granted its a long way off the ultra dark tone of the comics but Stallone plays one mean Judge and not even the appearance of Rod Scheinder puts me off the silliness.

B-

Wed May 09, 2007 9:47 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Yeah, it's a guilty pleasure for me. I even actually like Rob Schneider in it.

B+

Thu May 10, 2007 9:39 am
Extraordinary

I need to see this one again, I remember it as a very funny, dystopia-spoofing, sci-fi movie -- not to mention Joan Chen...

Thu May 10, 2007 10:09 am
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Judge Dredd
I hope whoever thought Rob Schneider should've been in this movie was immediately fired.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:02 pm
now we know

Just watched this for the first time in a while. I've never loved it. I've always thought it was a bit goofy, but I loved the production design and certain elements of the tone (which I think were influenced by Demolition Man). I watched Brutal Beta's humour-reduced cut (so, less Rob Schneider) and it's noticeably different, but the film still has issues. Apart from being a 90s film and therefore light, it's a low stakes easy-win for our protagonist. He's on a prison shuttle flight a day after sentencing, then 1-2 days after that he's in the Statue of Liberty and he's won. And, while this isn't entirely a bad thing, it does feel like a Stallone action film first, and a Dredd adaptation second. Also, Rico is such a poor villain. I think the film was made to include as many Dredd elements as possible, which then hinders the film because it's unreasonable to stuff so much into 90 minutes. It should have been 2 hours, less gags (especially involving Dredd), a more serious tone, and Judge Death as the villain.

B

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:01 pm
Profile WWW

The first sequence with Dredd is actually pretty solid though, and had they went for that with Stallone in Helmet I think they may have did a effective job. Stallone talking about this film is a lot of fun because he feels so bad about it. And Schneider is bad, but I love him in real life, his stories about Stallone during his single days and them going out during shoot nights are really awesome.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:35 pm
now we know

Stallone talking about any of his flops is never fun. He basically turns on every film that isn't a runaway success. That is the worst trait he has.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:03 pm
Profile WWW

I disagree. That's a trait many celebs never talk about the horrible films they've made. Stallone at least has some interesting insight, and he never doesn't not blame himself for a lot of it. I think it's one of his more endearing qualities. It's more annoying how many actors will defend a movie till their end.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:30 pm
now we know

I agree that it's good to call yourself out for a mistake, but it's just too convenient that EVERY film that flops, he suddenly thinks is terrible. I just wish once he would say "Oh Stop or My Mom Will Shoot? I love that movie. Glad I made it". But you only ever hear him praise Rocky, First Blood, Cliffhanger, all the success stories. It's not a good trait. He's not sincere. He just wants to be loved. And it's too obvious.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:57 pm
Profile WWW

Are you glad he made that film? I've heard him say good things about flops like Oscar, Assassins, Over the Top. I think Tango and Cash is the best when you hear those stories about how much of a DIVA he was has 35 people fired, and then one day he found all of them like 5 years later and bought them all dinner to apologize.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:22 am
now we know

Thegun wrote:
Are you glad he made that film? I've heard him say good things about flops like Oscar, Assassins, Over the Top.

Saying good things on the press tour doesn't count. ;)

But yes, I am glad he made Stop! or My Mom Will Shoot. I love it. I think it's not only funny but charming and light; a Stallone movie for the (grand)kids of Stallone fans.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:51 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Interestingly, Sly just posted this on Instagram:

"NIGHTHAWKS. One of the best films I’ve ever done That very few people ever saw. It dealt with terrorism in America which at that time people thought could never happen ...this film had truly crazy stunts that we preformed and some wonderful performances."

It is nice to know that he thinks it is one of the best films he's ever made. I agree with him.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Also interesting; apparently the painting "Nighthawks" is more famous than the film "Nighthawks".

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:06 pm
now we know

You just googled it then :P

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]