Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The American President 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The American President 

Post The American President
The American President

Quote:
The American President is a 1995 romantic comedy film directed by Rob Reiner and written by Aaron Sorkin. It stars Michael Douglas, Annette Bening, Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox and Richard Dreyfuss. In the film, President Andrew Shepherd (Douglas) is a widower who pursues a relationship with attractive lobbyist Sydney Ellen Wade (Bening)—who has just moved to Washington, D.C.—while at the same time attempting to win passage of a crime control bill.

Composer Marc Shaiman was nominated for the Original Musical or Comedy Score Oscar for The American President. The film was nominated for Golden Globes for best director, best screenplay, best actor in a comedy/musical for Michael Douglas, best actress in a comedy/musical for Annette Bening, and best comedy/musical motion picture. The American Film Institute ranked The American President #75 on its list of America's Greatest Love Stories.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Great fluff. I feel really guilty about finding it as romantic and engrossing and captivating as I do.

If it's on cable, I can't turn it off.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:40 pm
Extraordinary

Great fluff. I feel really guilty about finding it as romantic and engrossing and captivating as I do.

That just means that you're scum.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

It's just such a powerfully idealistic view of our leaders; sure, West Wing later topped it dramatically, thematically and in ambition, but its square charms get me every time. Something about the tone of the picture makes it feel like it comes from a different time (i.e. the 1940s or so).

Speaking of square, I can also never turn off another rom com, easily the best Frank Capra movie Frank Capra never made. That movie? It Could Happen To You. I wish it was on now. Yes, contrary to popular belief, I am not made of stone.

It's all such good natured bullshit.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:02 pm
loyalfromlondon

It's terrific fluff; definitely a precursor to The West Wing, but with less politics and more romance. Sorkin's script seems almost like an appetizer for his main dish later. Sure, the president is unbelievably decent and intelligent, but it's a movie; I can look past the relative implausibility of the character to just enjoy the film. There's an excellent cast - many of whom would later appear on West Wing - highlighted by Michael Douglas' likable president and Michael J. Fox's hilarious speech writer. The romance is enjoyable without being cheesy, and the writing is top-notch. Sorkin's trademark rapid-fire dialogue is toned down a bit, which works very well for the film, and the story is simple but effective. Just an excellent romantic-comedy.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:55 pm
Speed Racer

yoshue wrote:

That just means that you're scum.

Harsh or stupid? and I liked it also.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:43 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The American President
Such a lovely movie. Sorkin's writing is visible but its tamed down. It balances the politics and romance very well. The cast is pretty great and everyone does really well here to make this believable aside from Sheen's cliche'd romantic sidekick. Douglas and Annette are both great here which helps this movie.

A-

Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]